Light-O-Rama Forums

First Mega Tree?

H3RRS

2 minutes ago, H3RRS said:

This looks great, and looks like it will withstand the winter weather I get here. How does the pin work? Is it a sleeve? Do I need to drill a hole in the pipe? All information will be truly appreciated! 

Thank you and Kind Regards, 

-H3RRS

I forget how long it is but it is solid steel and slides inside the pipe, has a one inch color that keeps it in place.  no need to drill holes, you slide it inside one pipe (if the inside of your pipe has a ridge you may need to drimmel it down) up to the collar and then slide the other section of pipe on the other end.  Been using it the last four years.

2 minutes ago, caniac said:

I forget how long it is but it is solid steel and slides inside the pipe, has a one inch color that keeps it in place.  no need to drill holes, you slide it inside one pipe (if the inside of your pipe has a ridge you may need to drimmel it down) up to the collar and then slide the other section of pipe on the other end.  Been using it the last four years.

So, it slides inside one pipe and you slide the other right over it and it automatically locks into place? 

Edited by H3RRS

So, it slides inside one pipe and you slide the other right over it and it automatically locks into place? 

doesn't lock in the typical sense but once it is in the two sections of pipe there is NO flex or wabble.  It's like having one solid section of 20ft galvanized pipe, they make a four leg base also that we use (the legs are three foot sections of galvanize pipe and we put sand tubes on those).  Last winter we had 75mph micro burst on Christmas day, it didn't budge.

3 minutes ago, caniac said:

doesn't lock in the typical sense but once it is in the two sections of pipe there is NO flex or wabble.  It's like having one solid section of 20ft galvanized pipe, they make a four leg base also that we use (the legs are three foot sections of galvanize pipe and we put sand tubes on those).  Last winter we had 75mph micro burst on Christmas day, it didn't budge.

This sounds excellent. I saw the base, but they used PVC pipe for the legs. The pipe sounds like it will be much better.

Thank you so much! 

-H3RRS

This sounds excellent. I saw the base, but they used PVC pipe for the legs. The pipe sounds like it will be much better.

Thank you so much! 

-H3RRS

I use galvanized pipe for the strength and weight.  Those folks are in TN and don't get much wind but you can use pretty much any section of pipe.

Listen to Chet. I bought the pole pin too. Works perfectly. You mentioned guy wires in the middle - no - winching wouldn't be of use then. The hook head would have to start above your "middle guys" and so you defeat the entire purpose of the winch. Guy wires attach to the top only. Using the pole pin with 1-1/4" galv rigid is perfect for 20ft or so..

12 hours ago, Mega Arch said:

Listen to Chet. I bought the pole pin too. Works perfectly. You mentioned guy wires in the middle - no - winching wouldn't be of use then. The hook head would have to start above your "middle guys" and so you defeat the entire purpose of the winch. Guy wires attach to the top only. Using the pole pin with 1-1/4" galv rigid is perfect for 20ft or so..

You're exactly right. The pole pin sounds like the right way to go along with the base, pulley head, hook head, and the winch! 

Thank you and thank you Chet as well! 

15 hours ago, H3RRS said:

I just bought 2 10' 1 1/4 sections of pipe and I will also be using a coupling to attach both of them. I will be using guy wire on top and in the middle. 

Thanks for your reply! 

-H3RRS

I'll agree with other comments, you really don't need the middle section guy wires! The top should be plenty!

Best of luck!! Share photos when you get it done!!

Hope this gives you an idea of my setup using the base and the pole pin, this is 15ft using a 10 foot section of galvanized pipe and a 5 foot section.  Pole pin can handle up to 2 - 10 foot sections.