Light-O-Rama Forums

Only 11 of 16 Strings Working

chacquie

Sorry if this has been covered.  I searched for several hours and didn't find anything like this.  Most likely didn't use the right keywords.  I'm running 16 strings of CCR-II on a Pixe16 board.  I have generated a very basic fire effect using PE but when I copy it over to an SD card to run on a mini-director I only get 11 of the 16 strings lit up.  I was missing a connector for 3 of the strings so they are not technically connected yet but I'm still down 2 strings.  I'm certain this is a configuration thing as it was lighting up all the available strings using the hardware utility.  To rule out the mini-director, I get the same behavior when connecting directly to the computer and running through PE.  I am on v4.3.24.  Anyone have any tips for me to try?  I've been looking at this so long I'm likely just overlooking something really simple.  Thank you for your time!

Check your channel config in SE. Open the sequence, click Tools, then select Channel Configuration. Verify all Unit ID's are correct and in order. Did you add them manually or let the software add them? The reason I ask is that the Unit Id's are added numerically with Hexidecimal numbers not 9, 10, 11, 12 etc...

Alan...

Thank you for the reply Alan.  I opened it in SE and I only see a single channel through channel configuration.  I do see my prop below that (I built the sequence in PE).  I did let the software add the unit name when I created the prop.  When I click on my prop name it does pull up the Hexidecimal unit numbers.  When I look at the prop definition in PE I get the same thing.  I did think it might have something to do with the alphanumeric unit name but from what I read, that's normal.

I might try starting from scratch.  In all my troubleshooting who knows what I may have messed up.

Edited by chacquie

Is it the Fire effect that's causing the problem? Have you tried a very basic sequence to light up 1 string at a time. What happens if you replace a known working string on a string not currently working? Just throwing out some troubleshooting stuff.

Alan...

Edit: I meant to say have you tried to add a simple sequence just in SE (not PE) to test every string?

Edited by default

Excellent idea.  I just did a minute of "on" from SE and got the same behavior.  I wonder if my pixie board needs a firmware update.  Let me see what version I have.

I think I figured it out.  It looks like this was set to unit 6 instead of 1.  I was running it by itself last year so I assumed it was set to 1.  When I was looking at the version number in the HU I notice the Pixie16 was prefaced with a "06".  I changed my first unit in the PE prop editor and bam... all the strings work.  I knew it was a mistake I made.  Its disheartening when it's such a blatantly simple problem.  Thanks for your help Alan!

Glad you got this sorted out.

I'll throw this out there for you. As you add controllers to your system it can/will get more confusing, especially as time passes, year to year. This is what I do to keep track of whats what in my setup. You don't have to it this way, but I would encourage you to at least jot down your current info somewhere to aid your memory. I created a spreadsheet, snapped a picture of it and put the picture in my LOR directory.

Alan...

LOR%20Comm%20Ports3.png

• Thanks 1

That’s a great idea Alan.  Thank you for the suggestion.  You work with these systems so much during the season that you imagine you couldn’t possibly forget the details.  Daily life has better plans for that memory space over the course of a year though.

I'm going to echo what Alan said - DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!  My spreadsheets are organized differently than Alan's, but the end result is that I know where everything is connected.  I'm 58 as I type this and I fully admit that my memory ain't what it used to be.  BTW, that does not only include networking and channel layout, but how props go together.  For example, over this past weekend I was building a PVC framework that will hold GE Color Effects lights along the peak of my roofline.  When taken apart, there are nine sections.  Each has a P-touch label that defines what section it is in detail.  For example, one label says "Segment 1 (South)  <- South <-".  That tells me that this is segment 1 which is the South end of the roof and South is to the left.

• Thanks 1