Light-O-Rama Forums
Bob T

Copy paste is so slow it makes S5 unusable

I have many sequences with CC Pixels that I manually created pixel by pixel. I do a lot of copying and pasting from one device to another.   When copying multiple channels at a time,  the paste operation takes minutes.  It appears like an n2 operation is occurring in the copy paste code because as the number of channels goes up, the paste operation takes exponentially longer.  Copying 100 channels at a time can take over 10 minutes.  If this isn't corrected, I will have to go back to S4.

• Like 1

Try copy/paste by time, it is much, much faster. Just make sure to select "by time" BEFORE YOU COPY.

Perhaps we should change the default mode to "by time" instead of "by cell"?

Hope that helps,

Matt

Matt, just so you know, several of us have tried the copy and paste by time and it makes no difference. There is something seriously broke in copy and paste. If you play around with that sequence I sent you, you can see for yourself.

Here is a very boring video about copy and paste. I put a movie effect on my matrix as another sequence. Pasted it into my main sequence, which took 8 different copy and pastes just to make it work. When I played the sequence it was off by 6 seconds. So know i need to delete the first 6 seconds copy the rest and paste at the beginning. You can see at the :15 mark i changed copy and paste to time. I did my cut at :33 in the video. It finished the cut at 5:00 did my paste and that finished at 10:00. These strings are only 30 pixels each so I am copying a total of 300 pixels.

Edited by dougd

In S4 when we copied you could see the file in the clipboards folder. Where are the clipboards in S5?

Thanks for providing your sequence. I will use it as my benchmark. For your matrix - at least for this sequence - you should consider using the Movie effect. It will make your sequence file much smaller and will make it easier to skew its timing one way or the other. Your matrix will go from containing about 4.3 million effects to just 1 effect.

With that said, there is a new command in S5 that allows you to skew a selection: right-click > Selected Area > Skew Effects. This is the command you should be using in the video you posted above. But don't try it in 5.0.8 because it is just as slow as copy/paste. However, in the next beta release it will be MUCH faster - you will be able to do your entire matrix at once, complete with undo.

I will work on making copy/paste faster too, but they are not there yet.

Matt

• Like 1

Played with the movie effect and it does look like it will be worth my time to use that effect as opposed  to using my older sequences. 

Cut and paste look to be about 60-80x faster in the next beta release. Testing was done using the sequence in the video. Thanks to dougd for providing the sequence!

Matt

• Like 1