Light-O-Rama Forums

Integrating first Pixel Tree

Geoffrey

Hi.  Last year I ran 32 channels of LEDs using the LOR controllers.

I just purchased the Black, 400 pixel, Pixie8-controlled complete tree kit:  http://store.lightorama.com/pitrkit16sto.html

Now I am trying to plan ahead for its arrival in a few days - I am very comfortable with the S4 software and created many of my own sequences last year.  However, I'm uncertain of EXACTLY what I need to control the Pixel Tree I just ordered and hoping someone can help me out please, or point me to a FAQ or something I can read.

I own the STANDARD version of the S4 software - but from what I've read, I think I need the PRO version to control the pixel tree?  What about SuperStar Sequencer?  Can someone please help me?  I feel like I felt when I first got my LOR controllers - excited and frightened :):)

Your standard level license will control up to 8 controllers (or more specifically 8 controller IDs - which must be 01 - 08).  The Pixel 8 controller requires 8 IDs itself, so you would need to control 10 controller IDs (2 for your existing controllers and 8 for the Pixie 8).  Therefore, you would need to upgrade to either an Advanced or Pro level license.  If you want to use Pixel Editor, you would need to upgrade to a Pro level license.  If you elect to sequence the pixel tree only in SuperStar, you would need at least a 8_CCR level SuperStar license.  To sequence your entire show in SuperStar, you would need at least a 16_CCR level SuperStar license.  BTW, I sequence my entire show in SuperStar and highly recommend it.

You can compare the features of the various LOR software level licenses on this page:

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-software/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, another question please:  Can I daisy chain the Pixie controller into my existing LOR controllers at the end or do I need a dedicated network (and another USB connection?)

How many controllers you can put onto a single network is dictated by the number of channels (and very importantly how busy they are), the speed of that network, and the type of network. Back when I started in this addiction, the general rule of thumb was six CCRs (900 channels) on a single 115K speed network.  Since that time, several things have changed.  First, available network speed increased to 500K and then to 1000K speed.  Not all controllers can run on a 500K network, and only a few can run on a 1000K network.  The other change was Enhanced networks.  Again, not all controllers can run on an enhanced network.  If you will be using intensity files (either from SuperStar or Pixel Editor), you MUST use Enhanced networking for the controllers that will be controlled by the intensity files.  This web page will list what devices will work at various speeds and network types:

http://www1.lightorama.com/network-speeds/

Although I have never heard an updated general rule of thumb for the higher speed networks, I recall that DevMike said that the LOR display at Christmas Expo 2016 was 2400 pixels (7200 channels) on a single 1000K enhanced network.

Your Pixie controller requires at least 500K speed, and your existing LOR controllers may or may not support 500K speed, so that MAY mandate a second network.  If your existing controllers can support 500K speed, then you can use a single network.  the same issue may apply if you intend to use enhanced networking for the Pixie controller.  BTW, don't be afraid of adding LOR networks - it's not hard.

In my case I'm running two LOR networks for my year round landscaping.  All of my lights are controlled by Intensity files from SuperStar during Christmas, so I have to use an enhanced network.  However you can't read inputs from controllers on an enhanced network, and I make extensive use of interactive sequences for my landscape lighting, so I have a separate network that only has a single InputPup on it.  For Christmas, I add a third LOR network that has my six strings of CCPs.  Everything else that I add for Christmas is E1.31.

• 1 month later...

A little late to this thread - but wondering if this pixel tree kit has a visualizer prop pre-made someplace to download for my S4 Visualizer file (which will also be used in SS)?

Thanks in advance for any info!