Light-O-Rama Forums

Cat 5 problem

SFC SKI

The city already ran one shielded cat 5 cable under a section of road. I just realised that I will have 9 ccr and one RGB FLOOD BOX(8 lights). The max recommended ccr on a network is six. So can I split my cat 5 and put two rj45 on each end? If the LOR network cable only requires 2 pair (2power 2signal) then technically it will work. 

If this is possible, what positions on the rj45 should be used? 

Hook up the items connecting via that wire over a High Speed network. (Red Adapter) Based on my previous use/tests, 9 CCR's on a high speed won't be a problem.

Thank you. I have them in a straight line. Under the lip on a fence. Roof wasn't an option. Do you happen to know the pin out for cat5. Which pairs that are used? I have another run with a bad pair. 

6 hours ago, SFC SKI said:

Thank you. I have them in a straight line. Under the lip on a fence. Roof wasn't an option. Do you happen to know the pin out for cat5. Which pairs that are used? I have another run with a bad pair. 

I believe it's 4&5 carry data and 3&6 carry power.

• 2 weeks later...

Middle pair is data (RS485 protocol) and the 3rd and 6th wire are power, which is (in most cases, not used). The power pair where for stuff like the OLD RS 232 to 485 converter to have 12v for the voltage conversion from the DB9's 5volt supply. (RS 485 uses differential 12v signaling), however the newer converters have a voltage doubler circuit to do the same thing, now.

• The topic was locked