Light-O-Rama Forums

comm port fail

Jeffery m

ok guys and gals I am trying to test some controllers I got in the mail today(used)Controllers plugged in usb45 plugged in lights hooked up but when I go to HU it keeps saying comm port has failed so I changed the comm port and still fails HELP PLEASE

Sounds like you need to install the drivers for the USB adapter.  In theory that is supposed to happen when you install the LOR software, but it does not always work right.  Start the LOR Device Manager and while watching it, plug in the USB to RS-485 adapter.  If a new comm port does not show up, you need to install the driver.  I'm not in a position to look up the location to get it, but check out the downloads section of the web site and you should be able to find it.

4 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Sounds like you need to install the drivers for the USB adapter.  In theory that is supposed to happen when you install the LOR software, but it does not always work right.  Start the LOR Device Manager and while watching it, plug in the USB to RS-485 adapter.  If a new comm port does not show up, you need to install the driver.  I'm not in a position to look up the location to get it, but check out the downloads section of the web site and you should be able to find it.

I just recently dealt with this exact issue.  I simply chose the option for the device manager to search the internet for the correct driver.  It found it and installed.  Problem solved.

Jim, it was a separate install for me. (Not all folk use the LOR RS485 series devices.)

LOR ships the driver(s) for all their RS485 adapters with the adapter .  It is also available at Support for download.

Personally, I would not trust windows to find the most correct driver.

8 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Jim, it was a separate install for me. (Not all folk use the LOR RS485 series devices.)

LOR ships the driver(s) for all their RS485 adapters with the adapter .  It is also available at Support for download.

If I remember right, the LOR software automatically installed it on every computer EXCEPT my server.  On my server (Windows Server 2012 r2) I had to download the driver from the LOR support website (yes I'm sure I have several copies of the CD floating around somewhere, but it was easier to just download it). 

11 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Personally, I would not trust windows to find the most correct driver.

Agreed.

• The topic was locked