Light-O-Rama Forums

Problems setting up superstar

Richard R

Hi Guys

I have looked high and low for the answer to my question with no luck so I am hoping someone out there can help

I have just bought a pixel 16 tree kit but I am having trouble setting superstar up, when I export to the sequence editor the sequence comes out upside down and I can find no way to correct that in superstar or sequence editor can any one help

2 hours ago, Richard R said:

Hi Guys

I have looked high and low for the answer to my question with no luck so I am hoping someone out there can help

I have just bought a pixel 16 tree kit but I am having trouble setting superstar up, when I export to the sequence editor the sequence comes out upside down and I can find no way to correct that in superstar or sequence editor can any one help

Try 3 things

When you set up SS click the position of first pixel (Bottom left)

You could also switch your controller cables 1-16 in reverse

There is also a reverse order in your controller settings in HU which will allow you to reverse the order.

What pixel controller pixie16? You typed pixel16

JR

Are you seeing things upside down in the sequence editor, or on your actual lights?

If it is upside down in the sequence editor, it is not necessarily a problem. The order of the things in the sequence editor may or may not match how your actual lights are.

If you are seeing things upside down on your actual lights, click on the Tools menu and select "Layout" and there is a "Location of Controllers" setting. It can be set to "Top" or "Bottom". If your controller is at the bottom then select "Bottom" or if your controller is at the top of the tree then select "Top" and then export the sequence again.

If that does not fix it, post to this thread again.

What controller do you have? I asked above.

If a pixie16 connect it to your computer and open HU

Bottom of page select "config"

Next screen select "cosmic color/ pixie config"

Check and see if your "reverse order" has been checked. If it has deselect all 16 if not select all 16

Or as I stated above if you have it connected to the actual tree you can reverse the channels by changing the cables. Once you get correct you need to remember most purchased sequences have the controller set up on left during the sup "export to SE"

JR

Is it a flat vertical display? Is it a flat horizontal display?

If it is vertical, superstar requires that the strings be ordered from left to right as you are looking at the front of the display.

Did you see any difference at all between choosing top or bottom as the position of the controller?

34 minutes ago, BrianBruderer said:

Is it a flat vertical display? Is it a flat horizontal display?

If it is vertical, superstar requires that the strings be ordered from left to right as you are looking at the front of the display.

Did you see any difference at all between choosing top or bottom as the position of the controller?

Brian

In my case both the matrix and the ccr tree were backwards and upside down on the actual props. Not a vis or animation. Vis and animation was showing perfect.

The first sting I did with the tree was to just unplug the controller cables and simply switch the 1-16 in reverse so #1 became #16 and so on. It worked like a charm.

After that I went into the config and just used the reverse channel feature. All has been good since.

Then the matrix came. Same exact problem so I already knew what to do.

It was the same with a matrix seq I purchased from HS ~ apparently their sequences use bottom left as well so I had to select left for controller side in the SS layout tool. As you described. I was just giving the OP more than one option. On the tree I no longer have to select "left" since I have changed it in the HU configuration. I just had to undo the controller cables again.

JR

It is a 360 vertical tree  and the kit is a  pixel tree 16 from LOR I have set it up as per the instructions so could I have a setting wrong somewhere? and it did change things when I changed from bottom to top but it seemed to change from left to right.  

I will give JR's idea a  try and see what happens

by the way it is a Pixie8 pexel controller

Edited by Richard R

If you have a 360 tree, how many strands does it have? Is it a "wedge" where each string goes up and then comes back down so that each strand is 1/2 of a string?

If so, then you need to use a visualization that matches the tree. After I confirm the number of strings I can send you a visualization that should work.

I am thinking that you are using sequencing for the default "superstar tree" which is a flat tree that uses full length strings, and that you are applying it to a 360 degree tree that uses half strings. Send me an email at brian@superstarlights.com and I can set up a time to remote into your computer and see what is happening.

Hi Brian

I think you are right

it is a 16 string wedge shaped tree but there are only 8 lengths that are folded in half at the top the string then comes back down next to and on the right hand side

e-mail sent

Attached is a visualization file and a sup file showing how to do spirals on a 360 degree tree. The visualization is in "wrap around" mode which makes it easy to do effects like spirals on a 360 degree tree.

Copy the visualization file to:  c:/ (your lightorama folder) / Visualizations / Editor / 16x25_360_Tree.lee

Copy the sup file to:  c:/ (your lightorama folder) / SuperStar / Sequences / Spirals_16x25_360_Tree.sup

16x25_360_Tree.lee

Spirals_16x25_360_Tree.sup

Brian I have one more question this visualization comes up with a unit id of 01 when I open the sequence editor how do I change it to unit id 09?

When using a visualization superstar gets the channel settings from the visualization. Do the following:

1) Shut down superstar

2) Launch the visualization and open the visualization

3) on the right side will be a list, click on "fixtures" to get it to display the fixtures.

4) Double click on each fixture and change the unit ID to match your actual display.

5) Save the visualization.

6) launch superstar, it will use the visualization that you just saved

7) open your sequence

8) click on the file menu and select "export to sequence editor"

Thanks for your patients Brian

I  will have a look for a good  tutorial and have a go at making visualizations for myself, I will need a good simple tutorial because I had a look at how you set up the visualization you sent me and I can't make head or tail of it

once again Thanks

It sounds like you accidentally deleted some pixels. You won't be able to add them back. I will send it to you again. And I will have the first string use unit ID 09