Light-O-Rama Forums

Dying Pixels??

DisneyMatt10

Quick question for you all...

So last years show used a LOT of these Holiday Coro pixel strips: http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/700-white.htm

They worked great throughout the year... I was very careful during setup, and take down, and storage... Then today I went to start testing things, and nearly every other RED pixel on all of the strips isn't working... 

No idea what could have caused this... But anyone else ever had a similar issue?? 

Help please!!

Similar issues with pretty much all my strip.  That's why none of it is being used this year.  Nodes and Pixabulbs for me!   Unfortunately I have close to 1000 ft of strip I bought last year....  Too many problems with it

I've decided that I'll be replacing ALL of my strips with nodes for next year. Sadly, I've got to limp through this year... 

If they were working when you stored them, and now some individual RED pixel fail. I would suspect a manufacturing process error (like: flux not cleaned) or Water rusting leads (happened to some Incans I used once. I learned to bring them inside, powered up for a day, to dry out before storage)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

So last years show used a LOT of these Holiday Coro pixel strips: http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/700-white.htm

They worked great throughout the year... I was very careful during setup, and take down, and storage... Then today I went to start testing things, and nearly every other RED pixel on all of the strips isn't working... 

No idea what could have caused this... But anyone else ever had a similar issue?? 

Help please!!

If it makes you feel any better, you're not alone.  The LOR users group(s) on FB have regularly had people reporting the exact same thing from that same vendor.  

I doubt you did anything wrong.  It looks like nothing more than the steep cost of saving a few pennies.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

Help please!!

I will know in a week or two, hope I don't have the same issue.

I see they have a clearance sale on them. So guessing they are getting rid of the old. Stocking with new.  What did holidaycoro have to say. I haven't powered mine up yet. I just got the mega tree last year. So I guess I better check mine out. I did buy nodes for a matrax. Guess I might have to use them for the mega tree if mine are not working.

Edited by Richard365

I know one member here that I recently visited at his house and he uses those strips. They have been on his house for several years and has only recently seen any failure (1 color stays on, on 1 pixel). Maybe OP/ HC received a bad batch. Did you contact HC, that's the starting point.

Nothing wrong with saving a dollar every now and then, we all do it. 

JR

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard365 said:

I see they have a clearance sale on them. So guessing they are getting rid of the old. Stocking with new.  What did holidaycoro have to say. I haven't powered mine up yet. I just got the mega tree last year. So I guess I better check mine out. I did buy nodes for a matrax. Guess I might have to use them for the mega tree if mine are not working.

I figured the Clearance  was because they made 2 changes to current stock.

1)black wires

2) builtin WP (in and out) connectors

While it doesn't help your unfortunate situation, don't lose hope on the strips as a whole.  I am going on year 3 with my strips and the only issue I have run into is soldering points that I did breaking.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2017 at 10:18 AM, DisneyMatt10 said:

Help please!!

Sorry to hear about your issue.....that sucks!  Most of my pixel strips last year had a random blue l.e.d. go out on some pixels over the course of the season.  Not sure if it was due to quality issues or the lightning strike that hit REALLY close and made the whole tree flash blue during the strike.  I only saw it as my home security video picked it up and I watched it happen in the recording.  In addition some or our props inside the house with LED's lit up also when it hit......freaking crazy!

On 9/24/2017 at 11:27 AM, DisneyMatt10 said:

I've decided that I'll be replacing ALL of my strips with nodes for next year. Sadly, I've got to limp through this year... 

If this set of strips fails (fingers crossed) then I will be going the same route using bullet nodes next year.  Haven't had any issues with those plus they're not so delicate.

Edited by B.Y.R.G.

So time for a bit of an update. . . 

My partner has been slaving his life away since about the time this topic was started trying to get hundreds of new pixels soldering in place, (and working on some power jumping that wasn't done last year.)

When he was done splicing in and soldering he siliconed all the points he had worked on to make sure they were waterproof again... and this is where things get bad...

So, we let them dry for a few days, and hung them on the house to try to prepare for the Halloween show... we turn things on to test... and nothing but a cluster f**k. None of the colors were right. Nothing was working the way it should... It was awful!! . . . and then we found out the grave mistake that was made. Turns out the silicone he had been using was a water based silicone, which has caused things to short out... AGAIN! 

So, now we need to quickly order replacements, and fix all the issues to hopefully have it up and running soon. UGH! What a nightmare. I mean the first part with the dying pixels was bad, but now this?? I don't know how much more I can take! :unsure:

1 hour ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

My partner has been slaving his life away since about the time this topic was started trying to get hundreds of new pixels soldering in place, (and working on some power jumping that wasn't done last year.)

When he was done splicing in and soldering he siliconed all the points he had worked on to make sure they were waterproof again... and this is where things get bad...

So, we let them dry for a few days, and hung them on the house to try to prepare for the Halloween show... we turn things on to test... and nothing but a cluster f**k. None of the colors were right. Nothing was working the way it should... It was awful!! . . . and then we found out the grave mistake that was made. Turns out the silicone he had been using was a water based silicone, which has caused things to short out... AGAIN! 

So, now we need to quickly order replacements, and fix all the issues to hopefully have it up and running soon. UGH! What a nightmare. I mean the first part with the dying pixels was bad, but now this?? I don't know how much more I can take! :unsure:

Sorry to read about your problems. Halloween is coming fast. Hopefully you two can get it done in time. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

Brutal......sorry to hear.  Not sure if I would even  bother trying to fix the strips again.  Nobody wants to spend more money but maybe bite the bullet and get new ones?

• Like 1

On 9/24/2017 at 11:20 AM, uncledan said:

Similar issues with pretty much all my strip.  That's why none of it is being used this year.  Nodes and Pixabulbs for me!   Unfortunately I have close to 1000 ft of strip I bought last year....  Too many problems with it

What kind of strips do you have? Any dumb strips? Need about 15 feet to light up the awning on my motor home.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:15 PM, jerry72 said:

What kind of strips do you have? Any dumb strips? Need about 15 feet to light up the awning on my motor home.

No dumb, all 2811 30/10.  All is gone anyways.  I use pixel bullet nodes on my travel trailer awning

• Like 1

On 10/4/2017 at 7:43 AM, B.Y.R.G. said:

Brutal......sorry to hear.  Not sure if I would even  bother trying to fix the strips again.  Nobody wants to spend more money but maybe bite the bullet and get new ones?

We are going to try to limp through this year with them, and next year we are changing out ALL of the strips with nodes. I've heard the nodes are much more durable. . .?

The only place I use strips is where they are permanent installs and glued in place.

• Like 1

I use strips on my eaves and windows but they are semi-permanent as they are connected to pvc frames that I snap into place so I can put them up and take them down each year for storge.

• Like 1