Light-O-Rama Forums

LIGHT O RAMA DMX - IDIOTS GUIDE

TonyC

Tony, what is your email adress. I created a Presentation for the Pac NW mini on DMX and can share that with you. It will give a broad overview of DMX.

Explain your experience. How much LOR programming do you have. What aspects of DMX do you think you want to take advantage of, device wise.

Hook up is easy, but requires some thought, just like a regular LOR set up. It is a daisy chain that requires a terminator on the end device.

You will need to buy an iDMX from LOR. This is the DMX controller and it goes inline with your other LOR controllers.I 2

If you grasp a few concepts on how DMX channels relate to LOR channels, programming is the exact same as any LOR programming. You just have to understand that a device (light) will have more than one LOR channel assigned to it, depending on the fixture.

Also

Programming can be a little more involved as you might need to convert % to decimal (0-255). Once you know where each step point is for you specific device, it becomes relatively easy.

zman - I would like to see your presentation

It is a daisy chain that requires a terminator on the end device. (Whats this)

You will need to buy an iDMX from LOR.
This is the DMX controller and it goes inline with your other LOR controllers.I 2
So do i need the 16 channels also

You just have to understand that a device (light) will have more than one LOR channel assigned to it, depending on the fixture. (FIXTURE ??????)

TonyC wrote:

This is the DMX controller and it goes inline with your other LOR controllers.I 2

You just have to understand that a device (light) will have more than one LOR channel assigned to it, depending on the fixture. (FIXTURE ??????)

Tony, Someone posted this link on PC several months ago. It is a pretty good introduction to DMX. Maybe it will help answer some of your basic questions.

http://www.centerstagelighting.com/cgi-bin/online/webapi.cgi?sc=005&yp=&rc=&ui=&nw=&dc=&cid=&fot=2&gm=&lgo=&id=&lg=&yp=&fot=2&gm=&mt=&dd=1&hw=&req=1&ad=&pid=035&lgi=&bk=&ft=4&gg=&coid=&vic=&st=&xvr=1&cn=

Denny wrote:

TonyC wrote:

Tony, Someone posted this link on PC several months ago. It is a pretty good introduction to DMX. Maybe it will help answer some of your basic questions.

http://www.centerstagelighting.com/cgi-bin/online/webapi.cgi?sc=005&yp=&rc=&ui=&nw=&dc=&cid=&fot=2&gm=&lgo=&id=&lg=&yp=&fot=2&gm=&mt=&dd=1&hw=&req=1&ad=&pid=035&lgi=&bk=&ft=4&gg=&coid=&vic=&st=&xvr=1&cn=

That is a good link, I reference it in my presentation that was just sent out to those who requested a copy.

Mark

TonyC wrote:

Daisy chain is the method that all the devices are connected - simular to the way the LOR controllers are connected. A terminator is a device that eliminates the reflection of signal from giving unwanted side effects to the devices. They are readily available at most DJ stores, or you can make one by using a 120 ohm 1/4watt resistor across the data pins on the DMX cable( usually pins 1&2). A terminator will always be at the end of the chain - hence its name.

This is the DMX controller and it goes inline with your other LOR controllers
Yes you will need an iDMX - It uses 256 channels- at present - or the equivalent of 16 - 16 channel controllers
.I 2

The fixture is what the entertainment calls a light. For example The moving light American DJ DJ spot 300 uses 8 control channels( one for pan, one for tilt, one for color wheel, one for the gobo wheel, another for gobo rotation, one for the shutter,one for special features, and the last for pan/tilt speed)( BTW a gobo is a pattern that light is shot through to produce an image)
Hopefully this explains a your questions. If you plan on delving into DMX, prepare yourself for information overload.

• 1 month later...

Hi Mark,

I am a new member and just took advantage of the LOR Sale last week. I too would like to learn about DMX usage. I am very interested in your presintation if your offer is open. Thank you

Chris Rhamy, chirs@rhamys.com

Chris, I think you superimposed your email address. I sent it twice and then noticed possibly the typo. An email should hit you in a bit.

I have planned on introducing a few DMX fixtures in 2009. I definately want to use a large, high wattage, DMX controlled, strobe light for effects such as simulated lightning and as a nearly blinding "WOW Factor". However, my DMX knowledge is pathetic so I would learn a TON from your presentation as well! My email address is:

struair@crazy4lights.com

• The topic was locked