Light-O-Rama Forums

No comm ports

Brian Mitchell

Trying to set up an older laptop to use LOR.  I've installed the USB to serial driver from the website however the hardware utility does not find any comm ports.  It just shows "none".  I don't know where to go from here.  HELP!

Windows 7

Brian

Open up the windows Device Manager and see if it assigning a comm port number when you plug in the USB adapter.

If you don't know how to get to the device manager, either ask here or do a fast google search.

Thank you for the clue Jim.  When I plugged in the adapter, it showed up as unknown device.  I had to install the RJ485 driver also.  It still did not come up so for kicks I took the old white 485 adapter off my show computer along with my old usb to serial adapter and tried that.  IT CAME UP.  Now the controller is found in the HU but still had a blinking light in the SE.  I double and triple checked the comm port and it was correct.  So I changed the speed down to 19.2 and suddenly I have a solid light.   Now I still need to figure out why the newer adapter is not working because I need the old one on my ancient show computer.   The new adapter works fine on my sequencing computer.   I think I am still missing the right driver somewhere.

Issue is completely resolved.  I searched online for drivers for the newer adapter that LOR had sent me.  Installed it and now works perfect.  Apparently not the same driver that is on the LOR website.

• The topic was locked