Light-O-Rama Forums

Mosfet?

James Hill

I had purchased 3 CMB24 controllers earlier this year. I just powered up the units and need to know if anyone experienced this. I had never had problems with any hardware from LOR and decided to run a sequence for a test instead of the Hardware Utility. One of the Mosfets started smoking, discolored and was real hot.

Would this be a faulty Mosfet? Should I try switching it out for another and try again? or should I contact LOR for more tests?

I would contact LOR, I had a similar issue with a CMB24D during the season a couple of years ago and they sent me a new controller within a couple of days.

I run around 105 channels that all use Mosfets, you got yourself an overload. If you are up to it, replace it, then check and isure all your wiring is correct before plugging in a string of lights, ,although they can fail on their own, most of the time something is causing an overload. Last year i fried the blue channel on n2 DC SSR's because the blue wire was touching the 12v wire in my connection. I replaced the Mosfets, checked the wiring, and finished out the season.

Always double check your connections, all it takes in stranded wire is for one of those single strands to go astray and touch something else and things go poof.

Ask me how I know.  :wacko:

Edited by Mr. P

4 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Always double check your connections, all it takes in stranded wire is for one of those single strands to go astray and touch something else and things go poof.

I dont need to ask, seen my share of magic smoke.

Thanks guys. You were right as always. I found my short. I'm thinking the liquid electrical tape hadn't cured enough before I wrapped the wires together. Went through ALL my connections. Should be good now. Nothing like creating more work for myself!!! LOL

The mosfet seems to be still working though....would you replace it anyway or use the original?

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2017 at 7:38 PM, Mr. P said:

How do you know (Sorry I had too) ;)_

• The topic was locked