Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel spacing on a matrix

Wayne K

Looking to build a matrix with bullet pixels. I am only about 25 feet off of the road in front of my house as I live in town. Would 3/4" pixel spacing look good at that distance on about a 3 foot high by 5 foot wide panel?

Thanks

Wayne

23 minutes ago, Wayne K said:

Looking to build a matrix with bullet pixels. I am only about 25 feet off of the road in front of my house as I live in town. Would 3/4" pixel spacing look good at that distance on about a 3 foot high by 5 foot wide panel?

Thanks

Wayne

I have a marquee that uses a pixel panel from Boscoyo Studios.  I had it custom built with 1" spacing and it looks good from 30ft.

11 hours ago, caniac said:

I have a marquee that uses a pixel panel from Boscoyo Studios.  I had it custom built with 1" spacing and it looks good from 30ft.

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to try this.

Wayne

Just now, jerry72 said:

MY 24x50 4'x8' matrix from Boscoyo is spaced at 1.875".

I had them build that but with one inch spacing and 8 strands by 50, turned out great.

11 hours ago, caniac said:

I had them build that but with one inch spacing and 8 strands by 50, turned out great.

For a reader board?

On 9/17/2017 at 11:05 PM, jerry72 said:

For a reader board?

On 9/18/2017 at 7:38 AM, caniac said:

yep, song announcements and limited graphics

Guys

I am new to this matrix board thing, from your comments above, are you saying this with 3/4" spacing will be very limited? Or what did you guys mean buy this? I have the pixels, but have not ordered the board yet. So by your responses, now trying to decide what to do.

Wayne

2 hours ago, Wayne K said:

Guys

I am new to this matrix board thing, from your comments above, are you saying this with 3/4" spacing will be very limited? Or what did you guys mean buy this? I have the pixels, but have not ordered the board yet. So by your responses, now trying to decide what to do.

Wayne

Reason he is going with a tight spacing is that it will be used as a reader board. My matrix, ,1200 nodes in all, is spaced at 1-7/8", mine will be used for sequences with pictures and text. If you chose 3/4" spacing, you will need to lower your illumination way down or your pictures will be way too bright. How many nodes did you buy?

2 hours ago, Wayne K said:

Guys

Wayne

3/4" spacing is about as close as you can go if even possible with bullet nodes.  My larger matrix is 84x42 with 1.125" spacing with square nodes and they are almost touching on the back.  Most people use 2" or 3" spacing.  Obviously the closer the spacing on nodes and larger the matrix the better 

5 hours ago, jerry72 said:

Reason he is going with a tight spacing is that it will be used as a reader board. My matrix, ,1200 nodes in all, is spaced at 1-7/8", mine will be used for sequences with pictures and text. If you chose 3/4" spacing, you will need to lower your illumination way down or your pictures will be way too bright. How many nodes did you buy?

I have 900 nodes I had purchased last year. I have not figured up yet what a 3' X 5' will take with 3/4" spacing.

As I stated in my first post, I am only 30 feet away from the street and that is why I was going to use the 3/4" spacing, I was hoping that would make a better quality matrix.

Thanks

Wayne

3 hours ago, Wayne K said:

I have 900 nodes I had purchased last year. I have not figured up yet what a 3' X 5' will take with 3/4" spacing.

900 is not even close.  At 3/4 in spacing, 3 feet, or 36 inches will take 48 pixels.  5 feet, or 60 inches will take 80 pixels.  48 x 80 = 3,840 pixels.  BTW, that many pixels in that small an area would be practically blinding bright.  By comparison, that is 4 times as many pixels as my pixel tree and star in an area of less than 1/4 of the tree and star.  The star and tree is pretty darn bright when all pixels are all white.

5 hours ago, Wayne K said:

As I stated in my first post, I am only 30 feet away from the street and that is why I was going to use the 3/4" spacing, I was hoping that would make a better quality matrix.

Thanks

Wayne

For you, if you want a 3x5, i would go with a 1.5" spacing, it will be 960 nodes, so you would need to get 60 more, ,but it would be 3'x5'. That would look good, drop the illumination to say 75%

7 hours ago, k6ccc said:

900 is not even close.  At 3/4 in spacing, 3 feet, or 36 inches will take 48 pixels.  5 feet, or 60 inches will take 80 pixels.  48 x 80 = 3,840 pixels.  BTW, that many pixels in that small an area would be practically blinding bright.  By comparison, that is 4 times as many pixels as my pixel tree and star in an area of less than 1/4 of the tree and star.  The star and tree is pretty darn bright when all pixels are all white.

WOW

I had not took the time to figure up the count. The vendor told me that a 4' X 8' took 1200 nodes!!! With that info, I sure thought that 900 would do a 3' x 5' board.

Thanks for that info

Wayne

12 minutes ago, Wayne K said:

I had not took the time to figure up the count. The vendor told me that a 4' X 8' took 1200 nodes!!! With that info, I sure thought that 900 would do a 3' x 5' board.

It will.  Just a matter of the spacing.  With one foot spacing, you could do a 4 x 8 foot matrix with 32 pixels, but that would be pretty useless!

17 minutes ago, Wayne K said:

WOW

Thanks for that info

Wayne

If you purchase the HC 4X8 that equals 1200 pixels. It looks great and is cost effective. It is 24 rows of 50 pixels. I can also tell you where to buy them the cheapest around with free S/H and normally get them in 3 days. They mfg and can give you ant spacing and length you desire but their normal ones are great on the matrix.

Shoot me a pm and a cell # and I can send you a video.

Your space between house and street is greater than the distance in my garage and it looks great. So the 25' should be fine. I video less than 15'. Now a CCR tree is a dif monster. 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

For @Wayne K and others for future reference, both Boscoyo and HC sell pixel matrix "mesh/net" and both their sites have guidelines on number of pixels required depending on spacing between pixels of 2", 3" or 4". HC even has a recommended viewing distance chart.

Obviously if you drop down to 1", or closer, spacing between pixels then you'll have to work out total number required and best viewing distance yourself :)

The closer the pixel spacing the better the resolution obviously, so if you want to display reasonable quality graphics you'll need close spacing.

My new 16x50 ( 800 pixels ) matrix (using 2 sheets of mesh) has 3" spacing. It will be viewed from at least 30 feet away (once I work out how to mount it  :(  ). 

video of it running a basic test, shot with mobile phone from balcony (about 9' or 10' away?), brightness has since been turned down ;)

1 hour ago, OzAz said:

For @Wayne K and others for future reference, both Boscoyo and HC sell pixel matrix "mesh/net" and both their sites have guidelines on number of pixels required depending on spacing between pixels of 2", 3" or 4". HC even has a recommended viewing distance chart.

Obviously if you drop down to 1", or closer, spacing between pixels then you'll have to work out total number required and best viewing distance yourself :)

The closer the pixel spacing the better the resolution obviously, so if you want to display reasonable quality graphics you'll need close spacing.

My new 16x50 ( 800 pixels ) matrix (using 2 sheets of mesh) has 3" spacing. It will be viewed from at least 30 feet away (once I work out how to mount it  :(  ). 

video of it running a basic test, shot with mobile phone from balcony (about 9' or 10' away?), brightness has since been turned down ;)

I am going to build a frame by ripping Trex decking in half, 16 foot board will give me all the pieces i need. Very rigid and the weather will not affect it at all.