Light-O-Rama Forums

dlights vs lor controllers

tikilights

Ok so this may be a dumb question, but from what I've gleaned here, dlights controllers can be used with lor software, so any input on reliability of the 2 options.

I'm looking at prices and dlights come way under lor controllers, and I found on wowlights.com I can just buy the software without the controllers, even w/ wowlights I'm gonna save $ vs buying direct from lor, no offense intended to lor, but even with the supposed 10 percent off sale looming, I'd be way ahead. I'm looking at either mostly assembled controllers or completely ready to go. No patience for soldering I have to much sequencing to do, lol.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanx!

tikilights wrote:

Ok so this may be a dumb question, but from what I've gleaned here, dlights controllers can be used with lor software, so any input on reliability of the 2 options.

I'm looking at prices and dlights come way under lor controllers, and I found on wowlights.com I can just buy the software without the controllers, even w/ wowlights I'm gonna save $ vs buying direct from lor, no offense intended to lor, but even with the supposed 10 percent off sale looming, I'd be way ahead. I'm looking at either mostly assembled controllers or completely ready to go. No patience for soldering I have to much sequencing to do, lol.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanx!

Hi tikilights,

I am not sure you are comparing apples with apples. LOR prices are generally lower or the same as d-light. Make sure that you are looking at the PC series of LOR controllers. Here is a link to that page: http://store.lightorama.com/ctb16pcpage.html. That page is in the DIY section.

You mentioned assembled so lets compare: With d-light you get the fully assembled unit (platnum plus) for $269.99. The LOR "ReadyToGo" is $249.95. In our last sale the "ReadyToGo" was $219.95. I think if you compare apples with apples you will see that LOR tastes better:). The D-light Platnum and the PC-Complete are both $205.95 but with the LOR unit, you get the high power heatsinks already installed and the controller already mounted in the enclosure. With D-Light you must remove the low power heatsinks then install the high power heatsinks then install it in the enclosure... etc... In addition you will find that LOR uses a thicker/stronger circuit board, provide you with a heavy duty metal strain relief (vs a cable tie with D-Light) a higher grade plastic in the enclosure, etc....

Many people see the ShowTime series of controllers and compare them with d-light or the LOR PC series of controllers. There is a difference in price but the ShowTime series is heavy duty controller that has been certified to UL508 (industrial controller) standards.

Also you will find fewer hidden costs with LOR. When you purchase a generic starter package, you get the adapter, cables, software, CDs all for the price of the software. The generic starter package requires that you also purchase a controller. That way you get a break on the price. You mentined something about purchasing the software. You can always purchase just the software without a controller purchase.

Dan

AND - you also get the incredible support of Dan and his company.

Hey, I'm a Dan Fan!

tikilights wrote:

thanks thats the knda info I was looking for, so I'll be going LOR for sure then. Thanks Dan!

Very wise :) It is a decision you will not regret. Welcome to LOR!

Guest wbottomley

LightORamaDan wrote:

I think if you compare apples with apples you will see that LOR tastes better:).

And... it's not sour and doesn't have a worm in it either. :)