Light-O-Rama Forums

Switching to S5 at this time...why???

Santas Helper

Why???

Is there that much difference from S4 to go through the pain and trials of issues needing attention? Why put yourself through the stress?

Nothing against anyone that wants to but I just gotta ask... why this late in the year would you want to change???

Is S5 that much different???

• Like 1

Tom,

Well for me I don't do shows in the winter months, I do all my shows when the weather is better for sitting in a lawn chair with my neighbors and some cool beverages watching the lights in my pasture. This year I had a couple of medical issue that knocked me down for a couple of months, as in no heavy lifting, ladder work, hospital stays, etc...

So my show for this year is limited to testing. I still hope to set everything up at least once before winter just to test some things in S5.

From what I have gotten to work in S5, in my opinion S5 adds a lot of features that are not available in S4 and allows for some very creative sequencing effects beyond whats available in S4. I'm finding the more smart RGB pixels, the better.

So for me, I'm just ahead of the game, getting ready for next spring/summer. If I was under the gun to do winter shows I probably would not have started with S5 in anticipation of having finished shows.

On the other hand LOR needs guinea pigs beta testers to help work out some of the bugs. I don't mind getting involved if it makes for a better product down the road.

Alan...

• Like 1

For 2017, I absolutely am running S4.  You are right that it's way too late in the season to make the change.  On the other hand, I really do want to learn and be a part of the beta.  I'm hoping that by next February when I start sequencing for 2018, that S5 will be fully usable, and maybe even some of my suggestions will be implemented. 

On day one of the S5 beta, I described the S5 Sequencer as a slightly updated Pixel Editor with some of Sequence Editor tossed in.  That's still pretty accurate.  As I have essentially no prior experience with Pixel Editor, I have had a very hard time with it.  I have a phone / computer remote session with Matt Thursday evening where hopefully I can explain some of the issues that I'm seeing, AND I learn some of the concepts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Santas Helper said:

Why???

Is there that much difference from S4 to go through the pain and trials of issues needing attention? Why put yourself through the stress?

Nothing against anyone that wants to but I just gotta ask... why this late in the year would you want to change???

Is S5 that much different???

Tom

DevMike posted a similar thread a few days ago. As I stated since everyone was begging for S5 "if its not broke don't fix it". I am too busy sequencing faces to go through those growing pains on top of adding the pixels to my display this year.

I am with you and Jim and I really appreciate all of those pioneers that are willing to Beta test S5 to get those bugs worked out in the next  year or so but unless I am forced to upgrade will stay with S4.

There's a new topic for the upcoming mini.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

Me too. Don't need the headache right now. After New Years Day, most likely.

But I still don't have any pixelitis pains, so other than floods, I'm all AC. Probably don't need S5 at all. 

Now if oil gets back into the $70's, I'll probably need some pixels props and S5. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had S5 been released this past February with a production release in May then I might have gone that way.  Once you go S5 you can't easily go back to S4 which IMO is a big issue.  Now come January I will definitely play with S5 and in particular P10 support.  Still do most of my work in S4 and then import to FalconPlayer and xLights.  Little nervous going that route but so far so good.

Some people have to have the "latest and greatest". We rush out and get that newest phone the day it is released. I am one of those. Now in the case of S5 i probably didn't have a choice. I am running about 50,000 channels. I have a few sequences that are 2.5 gig. S4 was barely playing my show last year, had a bit of lag in a few sequences. This year I wanted to add a few movies to my matrix, I would not have been able to do that with S4. S5 preview plays them fine, time will tell how they look out in the yard.

To be honest the change from S4 to S5 hasn't been that daunting, but I work in an IT department so software is not that intimidating to me.

1 minute ago, dougd said:

Some people have to have the "latest and greatest". We rush out and get that newest phone the day it is released. I am one of those. Now in the case of S5 i probably didn't have a choice. I am running about 50,000 channels. I have a few sequences that are 2.5 gig. S4 was barely playing my show last year, had a bit of lag in a few sequences. This year I wanted to add a few movies to my matrix, I would not have been able to do that with S4. S5 preview plays them fine, time will tell how they look out in the yard.

To be honest the change from S4 to S5 hasn't been that daunting, but I work in an IT department so software is not that intimidating to me.

what type of matrix are you using?

84x30. It hopefully will look OK. From what little I have tested so far it shows cartoons real well. One example was Reliant K's 12 days of Christmas. Found a great video for it online, playing the whole video on the matrix for that sequence. Mostly I use it as 4 singing faces on sequences. I have about 40 different faces for this year.

23 hours ago, dougd said:

84x30. It hopefully will look OK. From what little I have tested so far it shows cartoons real well. One example was Reliant K's 12 days of Christmas. Found a great video for it online, playing the whole video on the matrix for that sequence. Mostly I use it as 4 singing faces on sequences. I have about 40 different faces for this year.

from what I have experienced, matrix type depends on where you are gonna put it.  My front yard is only 30ft deep and 50ft wide so I needed a more tightly packed pixel arrangement which the P10 gives me.

Im sticking with S4 for this year. Still waiting for promised firmware that will allow my G3MP3 to communicate to my Pixcon16 at 1,000 speed.

• The topic was locked