Light-O-Rama Forums
brichi

Plans to improve VU meter?

brichi    10

Curious if there are plans to update the VU audio meter like the sequencer had in S4? I can't do the same looking effects in S5 like I could in S4 so I have to uninstall 5, install 4 just to make my window props bounce up and down to specific beats and parts of a meter like I do in this video at 1:20 in this video

Edited by brichi

MattBrown    78

I assume you mean the VU wizard? What can you do in S4 that you can't do in S5? What's missing in the S5 version?

Matt

brichi    10

In s4 I can set what actual pixel lights up at what DB the meter reaches so I can split up my windows and have them bounce upward to the beat. in S4 you can set it so when the beat reach "this" area "this" led lights up and so on. If you watch my video you can see how It looks, I have no way in S5 to create that look

Edited by brichi

MattBrown    78

The only difference between the 2 VU wizards is that in S4 you can turn any channel on or off, but in S5 you can only do that to beat channels. However, in S5, once you place the effects into beat channels, you can copy the beat channel row to a regular channel row. So it takes 2 steps instead of one, but the functionality is there. That said, we will update the S5 VU meter so that you can place the effects directly in regular channels.

Also note that you do almost the same thing using a motion effect. See the attached picture. And what is really cool is that the fill for the bar doesn't have to be a colorwash - the butterfly effect would work well for example.

Matt

Effect gen - firestick vu meter.png

brichi    10

ok great, i did try the motion effect idea but theres no way to get the exact look like what i did in the video have each side of a window bounc up from gree/yellow/red and on a prop using only pixels 1-20 to go up the left side and then like pixl 50-31 to go up in revers the right side. Not sure if you saw in my video what im trying to accomplish that was easy to do in S4

Glad to see you will add the S4 functionality into S5, its much easier

MattBrown    78

The other difficulty will be that in S4 you are saving to a specific color in an RGB channel. In S5, RGB channels cannot be split into separate colors, so I guess you will need to specify a color on the VU meter window...

Is it possibly for you to do a screen capture (screencast) of how you sequence that effect. I assume there is some cutting and pasting involved in order to fill in the other channels. Maybe we could further automate your process in S5?

Matt

brichi    10

Matt, the beat channel way seems pretty easy especially since i can tell the beat channels 1-10 to be green, then 11,12,13 yellow and 14 , 15 red like a an audio mixer channel lever indicator, then copy and paste to channels 1-15 on the window. Matt, the beat channel way seems pretty easy especially since i can tell the beat channels 1-10 to be green, then 11,12,13 yellow and 14 , 15 red like a an audio mixer channel lever indicator, then copy and paste to channels 1-15 on the window. 

brichi    10

Matt, I can definitely screencast something tonight using S4 step by step how i created the effects in that video, would love an automated process! i love the effect and it makes the house look like a big audio mixer in person, people love it

brichi    10

Heres a screencast i made for ya matt using S4 to create what i wanted on my windows.  looks like when it uploaded the mouse is at the wrong spot sometimes which is weird

Edited by brichi