Light-O-Rama Forums

To my fellow Floridians

LOR Staff

Been through a couple of typhoons in Okinawa with the 'eye' passing directly over one time in the middle of the night.  Pretty eerie feeling going from crazy winds/rain to stillness and seeing the stars then back to crazy winds/rain.  We had a hell of party in the barracks (concrete reinforced) during it and of course the Scorpions "Rock You Like a Hurricane" got played a bunch!  Be smart and safe.....Good luck to all! 

41 minutes ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Been through a couple of typhoons in Okinawa with the 'eye' passing directly over one time in the middle of the night.  Pretty eerie feeling going from crazy winds/rain to stillness and seeing the stars then back to crazy winds/rain.  We had a hell of party in the barracks (concrete reinforced) during it and of course the Scorpions "Rock You Like a Hurricane" got played a bunch!  Be smart and safe.....Good luck to all! 

As a Marine I was on the rock 9 years went through many typhoons and super typhoons. Their structures are well prepared and I only recall losing power once or twice.

Made some good partying!

There are many forum members in FL I met one in person.

Prayers to all.

JR

Mike my prayers are for all of us in Florida, where i live i am right in the path of Irma but i am not leaving time to batten down and ride this thing thru. Remember the  REO Speedwagon song becuase thats what i"m doing Riding the Storm out.

2 minutes ago, Godney said:

Mike my prayers are for all of us in Florida, where i live i am right in the path of Irma but i am not leaving time to batten down and ride this thing thru. Remember the  REO Speedwagon song becuase thats what i"m doing Riding the Storm out.

Best of luck. 

I saw on tv a few people going to ride it out on their boats. Looking at the pictures from the Caribbean's and pictures of the bay where the boats are in FL those boats will more than likely become projectiles into the surrounding buildings. As a boat owner myself I would never ride out a hurricane in a small vessel if I have the opportunity to get out of it with advance notice.

I have been on a Navy ship in a typhoon and a Cruise ship during a hurricane, both were not very fun experiences but we had to get out of the harbors. I don't think anyone riding out a hurricane with such a punch as Irma has a chance esp in the size boats they are on.

I have weathered out many storms in a house but there is a dif between a house and a boat.

Thoughts and prayers.

JR

Much like most Floridians I am keeping an eye on the track of Irma and preparing as best I can. This storm has a lot of people freaked out though I cannot say if it is from media hype, the size, the shifting path westward or that she has stayed so strong for so long. Stay safe, everyone.

We were in the path of disaster here in Ft. Lauderdale, but a late shift has spared us. We do have boats and homes in the Keys. We are expecting total destruction.

1 hour ago, KeysNole said:

We were in the path of disaster here in Ft. Lauderdale, but a late shift has spared us. We do have boats and homes in the Keys. We are expecting total destruction.

I saw the one guy I was referring to in my previous post "jumped ship" this morning. I think he made a wise decision. Liquid courage will do a lot for you.

Hope everyone comes out alright. Property can be replaced!

Take care.

JR

Looks like the bad girl has passed. We are now getting the  winds from the back end. So far 5.5 inches of rain and gust of 52 miles per hour. My security cameras show a lot of junk on the ground but no big chunks of anything. That's it from Bradenton Florida.

On a good note I got a new song programed :)

• Sad 1

The bad girl may be gone but will not be forgotten for a lot of us for a while. A lot of Floridians still flooded, without power, too many without their own bed to sleep in. Our prayers are with all, we were lucky, just got power back on, only 11 hours, Thank You Clay Electric co-op employees, job well done.

Total rainfall for two days was 17 inch's at my home in Orange Park, Wind that scared the heck out of us a few times, my only damage some missing shingles on our shed out back and a pool full of everyone's trees. I think we were very lucky.

Spent the afternoon helping a neighbor not as lucky, tree through her roof into the master bedroom, rain going through the hole did more damage than the tree but no one hurt so a good ending to a scary situation. Got the hole covered up to wait on insurance adjuster and an appointment with tree company to get it off the roof.

Thank You to all the first responders, You guys are the real hero's, always putting yourselves in harms way for the rest of us, Thank You.

Good Bye Irma, look out Georgia, she is not a good visitor. Keith

We had a steady 60-70 mph here in Ft. Lauderdale with 87 mph gusts. Our vacation home in Marathon got the brunt of the storm. A bit of flooding but the boats are still standing (amazed by that). The aerial views that NOAA put out are amazing. This storm was totally hit and miss in the Keys.

• The topic was locked