Light-O-Rama Forums
stevehoyt

Animated gif hangs editor

stevehoyt    1

I was playing with adding an american flag animated gif today. It is 296KB. When I unchecked the scale image box in the picture option, the editor hung in a seemingly endless loop flashing white boxes. I had to force kill SE. I played a bit more with it, and found that if I created a short music sequence the problem sometimes would go away after flashing for a few minutes. If I use a  blank animation sequence it worked fine. It appears it somehow is related to the length and type of sequence. Let me know if you would like me to send the file, as it is too large to attach here.

Steve

default    56

Steve,

I don't think it is related to length and type of sequence. I can make it do it without having a sequence loaded..

Next time you run Sequencer, do not load any sequence, go straight to Effect Generator and try the gif there. For me I can get it do it every time. I not sure what the issue is and why I haven't reported it. My testing shows me it's got something to do with how many props (pixels) you are trying to apply it to.

Try applying it 1 prop, then move up from there. I have some gifs that play fine on a matrix or a tree, or circles, but if I apply it to the whole yard (all rgb) it chokes.

btw, it has done this with all the Ver 5 releases.

Alan...

Edited by default

stevehoyt    1

For what it is worth. I tried what "default" suggested above. Start the S5 editor and do not load any sequence. I was not able to reproduce the hang after trying 3 different RGB props of increasing size. I then created an animation sequence 1 minute long and repeated the test. Everything a OK. I then added 37 seconds of music to my existing one minute animation sequence and converted it to a musical sequence. The problem remerged....S5 flashed various colored boxes in the effects editor left window and became unresponsive. I had to force kill it.

default    56

Steve,

Do you mind attaching a link to the gif you are using?

Alan...

Edited by default

stevehoyt    1

I just sent it to Matt. If you email me I can send it to you. It is too large to attach here.

Steve

default    56

Steve,

After playing around with the Picture - Gif Import in SE some more, I have found it does some very strange things with just moving the cursor. As I said before I can get SE to create an issue without loading a sequence. That in itself is not proper.

In the Gif below, this is a video screen capture of the issue I see, without loading a sequence. It is just running Effects Generator. What I have found is that if the mouse cursor moves at all anywhere in the SE screen, the Preview reacts to that mouse cursor movement. It should not. I have seen SE do what you are describing with a loaded Sequence but I am wondering if it is related to the mouse cursor movement. In order to click the Scale Image button, you have to move the cursor, thus maybe causing what I am showing below.

pe%20gif%20issue.gif

Here is the info on the Gif file i am using for this example.

Snapshot_2.png

Here is the Gif file if you want to test it for your self. (Right Click - Save As)

usa-american-flag-waving-animated-gif-34

Due to the fact that we all have different Preview screens and props I would be interested to hear what your (or anyones) results are. I think it would be very helpful for Matt to locate and fix the issue if he has good examples to go on.

I am unaware if there is a Bug Report on this issue, if not, this thread should be it. I will PM Matt to look at this post also as there is an issue with the mouse cursor movement that should not exist.

Alan...

MattBrown    78

Thanks for all of the testing! I have seen hovering over controls cause the Effect Generator to temporarily freeze before - and other unexpected pauses.

The Effect Generator will be revamped at some point to improve performance. I think there is an opportunity for *significant* improvement. However, because it is generally working correctly, getting the rest of the sequencer stabilized and upgrading S4 sequences as accurately as possible is a higher priority at this time.

Matt

stevehoyt    1

Matt and Default

I tried the GIF file you attached above and saw the same behavior on my machine, that I had seen with my other file.

My effects editor screen shows part of the image and constantly blinks with white boxes in it. I have to force quit to get out of it.

Not sure if it is my machine but I don't see the effect you described above regarding mouse movement.

So Matt all I need is to be able to recheck the scale image button or to be able to get out of the effects editor without having to kill the whole s5 editor. 

Default.... I don't know how you managed to get the file attached as part of your post. If I try it, it says file too big. In any case, it appears we got the gifs from the same site as the names are identical    usa-american-flag-waving-animated-gif-XX.gif. I am just using number 24 and you are using 34. Just replace the xx with 24 and you can try the file I use.

Steve

default    56
13 hours ago, MattBrown said:

However, because it is generally working correctly, getting the rest of the sequencer stabilized and upgrading S4 sequences as accurately as possible is a higher priority at this time.

Matt,
It's all good. I just wanted to make you aware of what was happening with the Effects Generator and figured a visual was the best way to explain it. The ability to load Gifs is very cool and is a game changer for getting a large amount of blinky lights to do some very cool stuff.

1 hour ago, stevehoyt said:

I don't know how you managed to get the file attached as part of your post. If I try it, it says file too big.

Steve,
I have a web server that I upload the images to and then link from there. Within the forums we are limited a fixed amount of storage that we can upload to. If you have something, a video, picture that is to big for your limit on the forums, you can email it to me and I will put it on my server and I'll send you a link for you to post in the forums, I'll pm you my email address.

it appears we got the gifs from the same site as the names are identical    usa-american-flag-waving-animated-gif-XX.gif.

LOL, what are the odds we were both dealing with the same gif file the whole time. :blink:

So Matt all I need is to be able to recheck the scale image button or to be able to get out of the effects editor without having to kill the whole s5 editor.

As a workaround for this issue, this is what I found that works very well for me.

Since my issue only happens in the Effects Generator and doesn't affect the Preview Playback at all. I have found that if I apply the effect to a single prop (experiment for which prop may work for you) in the Effects Generator and apply all the settings such as Scale Image, Scale Width, etc. I can then Save the Effect under Favorites. Exit out of Effect Generator back into (or open a sequence) and highlight the effect from the Motion Effects window and apply it to a Preview Group that I have setup for all my RGB Props Grouped together. (large number of pixels)

It may take a couple of times to dial it in, but it doesn't lock the Effects Generator this way. If you do want to go back into Effects Generator, Click the blue arrow (45 degree) then click the grid in the prop you first applied the effect to and it will show in the Preview Window, then double click the Saved Effect in Motion Effects window and it will take you into the Effects Generator. Make whatever changes, then Save the Effect again under Favorites. Repeat as needed.

Hope this helps.

Alan...

stevehoyt    1

Thanks for the reply above. I may take you up on your offer if I need to upload anything large.

Just so there is no confusion on Matts part,, the problem I have is if I uncheck the scale image box, that causes the effects editor to hang and I must force quit S5 to do anything. So for now, until Matt has a chance to take a look at it, I am just not unchecking that box. This is not a big deal for me to not be able to uncheck the box. I haven't spent a lot of time playing with scaling on the gifs and the little I did on these images was ok. I'll try some more and see what happens.

Steve

Edited by stevehoyt