Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wayne K

Cannot make the pixels work

Wayne K    8

I am new to pixel editor. I have a pixie 8 hooked up on a table with only ports 1, 2, 3, 4 with led's on them. In the preview list I created a group called props, Then in the preview design I then have created 3 props under the prop menu. The props are just for testing at this time. under the prop definition window, I have selected RGB Pixels in the left side, in the middle I have played with and tried strings and nodes and the order in the middle window. In the left pane I have selected LOR, I have tried unchecking and checking the boxes. I have put in my unit #s ( I have double checked my channel config with the pixel test in the hardware utility and they match ) I also have a steady red light on the pixie board.

I have Imported a test sequence from SE and it shows the timing grid and the cells. So then I have 3 props showing on the left side of the time line. I have  turned on the cells I want to control and they turn white in the time line. Now I hit the play button and my preview window shows the effect as if it was playing on the controller.

But I cannot for the life of me make the controller work and blinky blinky the pixels. I also have the control lights box checked. I do have a steady on red led on the pixie 8 board

Anyone got any idea what I am missing here?

Thnaks

Wayne

TheDucks    27

Try the Hardware utility. Make sure you have the correct ID set. Remember the Pixie 8 will use that (starting) value and the next 7..

The HW utility can make the strings do basic stuff. Twinkle, color change, Chase.  Have fun

Then get back to your edits, once you have proved the hardware.

BTW the Pixies have 4 terminals. Did you use the Data terminal (3 lead smart strings)?

Another thing, that there is no INSULATION in the contacts wire clamp (been there )?

Wayne K    8

Thanks for the reply, I have done all that in the hardware utility. All of my pixels work fine from the hardware utility. I can scan the devices and find my device and test the pixels from there on the 4 ports I have hooked up. I can also use the pixel test and turn any or all of them on.

It seems to me to be a problem in the pixel editor somewhere.

Little_b    35

Make sure the "Control Lights" tab is checked from the Tools pull down menu if in PE or The Play tab in SE.

TheDucks    27
40 minutes ago, Wayne K said:

Thanks for the reply, I have done all that in the hardware utility. All of my pixels work fine from the hardware utility. I can scan the devices and find my device and test the pixels from there on the 4 ports I have hooked up. I can also use the pixel test and turn any or all of them on.

It seems to me to be a problem in the pixel editor somewhere.

Well it seems  we are at the same place.  I bought a pair of pixie4's the last sale.  I just built a pair of  HC tombstones with Pixels at the edge. (The RIP is plain RGB). I am trying to figure out how to make the pixels into:

Marquee lights  (sets of 3 or 4 do a mini chase), or maybe a R/L side waterfall (top to bottom cascade), not just a simple color change in the  30 rgb'S WOULD HAVE ALLOWED.  

(I was inspired by Robin Williams Genie. I wanted RIP to chang and say 'Open or Big Sale. Real CAMP :P stuff )

Wayne K    8
24 minutes ago, Little_b said:

Make sure the "Control Lights" tab is checked from the Tools pull down menu if in PE or The Play tab in SE.

Yes I have checked and unchecked that trying to reset whatever.

Wayne K    8

Theducks

I hope you get it working, At this point I am of no help to you. Thanks for your suggestions on my problem!

Wayne K    8

Thanks guys for trying to help me !!!

Problem solved!!!!!!

Since I only had 4 strings of pixels hooked up on the controller and was just trying to do testing, I was giving all of my prop's the same channels. Since I had 3 props on the time line PE would not let the pixels work. I split the 4 ports into 2 groups of 2 ports and assigned 2 ports to 1 prop and the other 2 ports to the other prop and it seems to work now. I got to thinking that a few years ago, I double assigned a channel in SE and had similar problems.

Wayne

Edited by Wayne K