Light-O-Rama Forums

DUMB RGB COLOR CHART

racerc20

Afternoon everyone...

Is there an RGB Color chart?  What I mean is is there an easy way to set or create colors .  for instance when you need to make orange its 100% red, 50 % green and 25 % blue,   what about for other colors any info out there? 

This is how I've used my RGB's so far...

Note that ANY chart should be taken ONLY as a starting point.  There are enough differences in LEDs that you MUST test on your actual lights.  Preferably this should be done with the lights in the place that they will be used because the apparent color will change depending on the background - particularly if that background will be lit up by the light in question.  Most of the RGB LEDs that we use will tend towards Blue if you just use the levels off some chart.

What I have done is to use the Hardware Utility to adjust the lights while sitting out in the front yard with a laptop.  Yes, your neighbors will think you are crazy when you setup a laptop on a card table in the driveway and start adjusting light levels - but what the heck, they likely think you are crazy anyway.  Once you get the colors you like, document it so you will know what colors to use in your sequencing.

Hint, keep your color count down unless there is something that you are trying to match.  For example, if you putting Barney the dinosaur on a matrix, it really does have to be the right purple,  For the most part, I only use eights colors, Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Teal, Magenta, White, and Orange.  The blend to get White and Orange varies a bit between lights.  For my landscaping show, the column lights were adjusted to match a couple of "White" lights.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2017 at 6:10 PM, k6ccc said:

Note that ANY chart should be taken ONLY as a starting point.  There are enough differences in LEDs that you MUST test on your actual lights.  Preferably this should be done with the lights in the place that they will be used because the apparent color will change depending on the background - particularly if that background will be lit up by the light in question.  Most of the RGB LEDs that we use will tend towards Blue if you just use the levels off some chart.

What I have done is to use the Hardware Utility to adjust the lights while sitting out in the front yard with a laptop.  Yes, your neighbors will think you are crazy when you setup a laptop on a card table in the driveway and start adjusting light levels - but what the heck, they likely think you are crazy anyway.  Once you get the colors you like, document it so you will know what colors to use in your sequencing.

Hint, keep your color count down unless there is something that you are trying to match.  For example, if you putting Barney the dinosaur on a matrix, it really does have to be the right purple,  For the most part, I only use eights colors, Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Teal, Magenta, White, and Orange.  The blend to get White and Orange varies a bit between lights.  For my landscaping show, the column lights were adjusted to match a couple of "White" lights.

Wow. Thanks for this tip... I just figured out the colour chooser... (I am a graphic designer and really thought I would own RBG seeing as I practically know the numbers...) So when I ran Orange for Halloween I was testing on the new LOR floods, well... sure enough it looked green.  I see it is going to be a lot of work getting this down.  But great feed back on keeping the colours to 8.  It is something I will ensure to focus on. (And yes Colour is spelled with a U =)

On 9/21/2017 at 4:58 PM, Rory C said:

I can't get mine to go orange at all.  What color setting/numbers are you using?

I pulled up one of my Halloween sequences.  For Orange, I'm using Red=100%, Green=10%, Blue off.

4 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I pulled up one of my Halloween sequences.  For Orange, I'm using Red=100%, Green=10%, Blue off.

I finally figured it out using the "change intensities" button after a video from HolidayCoro.  I've been using your same ratio for a few days and just changed it to R100 and G5 and I'm trying to figure out which one I like better.  Thanks!

How does your floods look in the SS as I have 2 DMX lights that are 7 channels and I can not figure out how to get the SS put in 7 channels.

Thanks