Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega tree

ferrer light show

On 9/10/2017 at 2:23 PM, dibblejr said:

I'm not sure what's included in the BS tree kit so that part is up to you.

I also do not know about the alphapix.

Depending on how many strings you plan on having will determine the controllers. If 16 strands just 1 for the tree. If 32 then yes to keep it simple 2 pixie16's are perfect

As far as cables. If I had to do it all again I would buy at least 10' extensions from HC or your preferred source and cut them to use. I purchased pigtails and they were to short so then I ordered 5' extensions and they work but I could have used a little extra length. The 10 footers are about $6 each.

Get yourself a roll of 12 or 14 gauge wire for the power supplies to wire to the board. You can just buy one color and mark it on the ends with tape so you don't use the wrong wire for +, -, N or get all 3 colors.

Don't forget you will need the power cord for the power supply (id buy this fro same vendor as the extensions)

Aso I know the 350 watt ps's are cheaper however if you can afford it get yourself the meanwell 750 watt. Instead of 2 ps's per pixie you only need the one. I have done it both ways. I could have used a smaller box had I went with my gut instead of my wallet the first time. 

I prob missed something, but if I think of anything I will add to your thread.

JR

The MegaTree Kit includes:

• 1 pc - 16/32 Topper for use with 3/4" EMT Conduit (not included)
  • 1 pc - Guy Wire Ring
  • 3 pcs - Pre-made Guy Wires with attachment hooks on one end and a loop on the other
  • 1 pc - Base Plate

so a single 5v 750 watt power supply is better compare to having 2 5v 300 watt?

and also I have G3 mini MP3 director you think I would be able to used this or is will be better to just go straight ahead from my pc to controller 

but at same time I decided just to build 16 strips  this year due to the time frame  

I'm getting of the boat in the next 2 days and I'm only going to have 4 weeks off and be back to boat for another 4 weeks so at the moment my time at home to do the project I'm hopping I'll be able to put it all together before I come back to the boat and by next time off I'll be able to set it up. And do you have any idea where to down load free lor sequence?

do you have the model number for 750 watt mean well power supply and site where to get them? 

Edited by ferrer light show

2 hours ago, ferrer light show said:

So you mean that even its only going to be 50 count per string on a 16 string mega tree I still need to have at least 2 300 watt 5v power supply?

Here is the math 5V pixels average

1- pixel = .3 watts per color (keeping it simple folks) = .9 watts per node = 45 watts per string X 16 = 720 total watts at full white. 

Take into consideration that is running a 750 w ps closer to max than I would like

Also my example above is not clear, I use all 12v pixels

Can you get by with less, perhaps by lowering the intensity and not going all white for very long. Remember I am new to this stuff as well but all of my stuff I built is working without issues. The tree kit I purchased from LOR also works. I do not know what watt ps they use to power my ribbons.

IMHO- Pro level is best but you can get by with advanced. I don't use everything incorporated but someday I may. Ensure you purchase the correct ps for your pixels 5v capable.

Edited by dibblejr

Bottom line is everything will depend on the specs of the pixels. You will need to get the specs of the pixels, do a little math and figure out your power requirements.

Each string or strip will have a watts useage, take the watts per string and multiply by 16 strings  to get the total watts.

Take the total watts and divide by 5 (5v) or 12 (12v) to get the total amps. Then go and find the power supply that meets those reuirements. Keep in mind that you never want to run a power supply at 100% so always leave a little overhead, rule of thumb is 20%.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Bottom line is everything will depend on the specs of the pixels. You will need to get the specs of the pixels, do a little math and figure out your power requirements.

Each string or strip will have a watts useage, take the watts per string and multiply by 16 strings  to get the total watts.

Take the total watts and divide by 5 (5v) or 12 (12v) to get the total amps. Then go and find the power supply that meets those requirements. Keep in mind that you never want to run a power supply at 100% so always leave a little overhead, rule of thumb is 20%.

isn't there a limitation on 5v of 50 pixels without power injection whereas the 12v you can run 100 pixels?  So you need more outputs with 5v if you don't want to power inject.

16 minutes ago, caniac said:

isn't there a limitation on 5v of 50 pixels without power injection whereas the 12v you can run 100 pixels?  So you need more outputs with 5v if you don't want to power inject.

It really isn't a limitation but rather a general rule, everything relies on the specs of the pixels and the limitations of the controller being used.

1 hour ago, caniac said:

Yes with the pixie it is 50 of course LOR airs on the side of caution. Since I do not use 5v I cannot verify

JR

14 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Here is the math 5V pixels average

1- pixel = .3 watts per color (keeping it simple folks) = .9 watts per node = 45 watts per string X 16 = 720 total watts at full white. 

Actually it's more like 0.3 watts per node, not per color.  Common strips are typically 36 watts for a 5 meter strip of 30 pixels per meter.  That comes out to 0.24 watts per pixel.  I run my 600 pixel tree plus 360 pixel star (all at 5V) on a single 350W power supply and don't come close to maxing it out.  Every pixel in full white comes out to something in the mid 50s of amps (measured years ago, so I don't remember the exact number)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Actually it's more like 0.3 watts per node, not per color.  Common strips are typically 36 watts for a 5 meter strip of 30 pixels per meter.  That comes out to 0.24 watts per pixel.  I run my 600 pixel tree plus 360 pixel star (all at 5V) on a single 350W power supply and don't come close to maxing it out.  Every pixel in full white comes out to something in the mid 50s of amps (measured years ago, so I don't remember the exact number)

Jim

This subject was why it was hard to make an informed decision it the first place, at least for me. There was always various answers to what seemed like the simplest of questions.

DIY Christmas gave me some of my answers but not all.

I based my math on the company where I purchased my first strings of nodes. (of course I did have to look at their info for 5v since I purchased 12v). One thing I just realized after reading your reply and going back over the mfg website and then looking at HC info. I guess different mfgs have different specs. HC is stating "15w per string of 50 5v" would be great news for the OP. Which is even less than yours.

This could also be great news for me in that if the company I used for my first pixels are using a higher watt pixel then my other 10,000 pixels I purchased may be a lower wattage thus I can get by with a smaller more affordable power supply. At least for now I have some safeties built in by not over working the ps. Now off to do some research.

So as someone new to the pixel stuff once again I learned a little more today. Ive probably wasted a couple hundred dollars on ps over kill.

Thanks

JR

Yep.  Different LEDs are different.  Gotta look at the specs for the devices that you are using.  One of the reasons I have often asked for a link to the devices someone is asking about.  And having either extra or lightly loaded power supplies is NEVER a problem...  For my general rough calculations, I use 0.3 watts per pixel, even though most are a little less.  Better have an estimate that is higher than actual rather than the other way around.