Light-O-Rama Forums
ferrer light show

Mega tree

1 hour ago, caniac said:

isn't there a limitation on 5v of 50 pixels without power injection whereas the 12v you can run 100 pixels?  So you need more outputs with 5v if you don't want to power inject.

Yes with the pixie it is 50 of course LOR airs on the side of caution. Since I do not use 5v I cannot verify

JR

14 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Here is the math 5V pixels average

1- pixel = .3 watts per color (keeping it simple folks) = .9 watts per node = 45 watts per string X 16 = 720 total watts at full white. 

Actually it's more like 0.3 watts per node, not per color.  Common strips are typically 36 watts for a 5 meter strip of 30 pixels per meter.  That comes out to 0.24 watts per pixel.  I run my 600 pixel tree plus 360 pixel star (all at 5V) on a single 350W power supply and don't come close to maxing it out.  Every pixel in full white comes out to something in the mid 50s of amps (measured years ago, so I don't remember the exact number)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Actually it's more like 0.3 watts per node, not per color.  Common strips are typically 36 watts for a 5 meter strip of 30 pixels per meter.  That comes out to 0.24 watts per pixel.  I run my 600 pixel tree plus 360 pixel star (all at 5V) on a single 350W power supply and don't come close to maxing it out.  Every pixel in full white comes out to something in the mid 50s of amps (measured years ago, so I don't remember the exact number)

Jim

This subject was why it was hard to make an informed decision it the first place, at least for me. There was always various answers to what seemed like the simplest of questions.

DIY Christmas gave me some of my answers but not all.

I based my math on the company where I purchased my first strings of nodes. (of course I did have to look at their info for 5v since I purchased 12v). One thing I just realized after reading your reply and going back over the mfg website and then looking at HC info. I guess different mfgs have different specs. HC is stating "15w per string of 50 5v" would be great news for the OP. Which is even less than yours.

This could also be great news for me in that if the company I used for my first pixels are using a higher watt pixel then my other 10,000 pixels I purchased may be a lower wattage thus I can get by with a smaller more affordable power supply. At least for now I have some safeties built in by not over working the ps. Now off to do some research.

So as someone new to the pixel stuff once again I learned a little more today. Ive probably wasted a couple hundred dollars on ps over kill.

Thanks

JR

Yep.  Different LEDs are different.  Gotta look at the specs for the devices that you are using.  One of the reasons I have often asked for a link to the devices someone is asking about.  And having either extra or lightly loaded power supplies is NEVER a problem...  For my general rough calculations, I use 0.3 watts per pixel, even though most are a little less.  Better have an estimate that is higher than actual rather than the other way around.