Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega tree

ferrer light show

A good day everyone I  started usring lor last year and I plan to add a pixel mega tree this year and i like to know everybody's opinion on what would be a great controler to used on a smart pixel ws2811 smart pixel  (pixie 16 or pxicon16) as know i have showtime central and 2 -16 channel controller so pls. Can any body show me a way to where I can run all this controller and hook up pixel controller for pixel mega tree thank you and god bless you all

2 hours ago, ferrer light show said:

A good day everyone I  started usring lor last year and I plan to add a pixel mega tree this year and i like to know everybody's opinion on what would be a great controler to used on a smart pixel ws2811 smart pixel  (pixie 16 or pxicon16) as know i have showtime central and 2 -16 channel controller so pls. Can any body show me a way to where I can run all this controller and hook up pixel controller for pixel mega tree thank you and god bless you all

I can def help you with the pixie16 I have 5 and a pixie8. You will need some stuff but I can give you a list.

The pixie series is LOR network only and pretty easy to set up. It was a learning curve for me but with a little help from some of the good guys here got it configured. It will directly connect with your LOR controllers. I have 15 ac controllers.

The pixcon is a little more difficult to grasp, that's why I went with the pixie, no sense in making it harder on myself.

If I can be of assistance if you go the pixie route please feel free to pm me.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2017 at 10:17 AM, B.Y.R.G. said:

Cool a Whidbey islander.....welcome!

Thank you b.y.r.g

On 9/6/2017 at 10:26 AM, dibblejr said:

I can def help you with the pixie16 I have 5 and a pixie8. You will need some stuff but I can give you a list.

The pixie series is LOR network only and pretty easy to set up. It was a learning curve for me but with a little help from some of the good guys here got it configured. It will directly connect with your LOR controllers. I have 15 ac controllers.

The pixcon is a little more difficult to grasp, that's why I went with the pixie, no sense in making it harder on myself.

If I can be of assistance if you go the pixie route please feel free to pm me.

JR

Thank you for your reply dibblerjr I really appreciate the help. And if you can provide me list oh thing need to to build mega tree that will be helpful thank you and god bless always 

12 minutes ago, ferrer light show said:

Thank you b.y.r.g

Spent a couple of years there in the late 80's at the Naval Air Station.  It was a beautiful place to live and really enjoyed my time there.  Definitely one place I would move to but then again 30 years ago ya'll didn't really like Californians moving in, I doubt that's changed...hahah!

On 9/6/2017 at 10:47 AM, Mr. P said:

License level?

LOR Feature Level: Standard
SuperStar Feature Level: Demo
Max Version: 5.0.* (and any future versions released by December 1, 2017)

this is what is have for license so you think this will work for mega tree? Thank you mr.p and god bless always 

Just now, ferrer light show said:

LOR Feature Level: Standard
SuperStar Feature Level: Demo
Max Version: 5.0.* (and any future versions released by December 1, 2017)

this is what is have for license so you think this will work for mega tree? Thank you mr.p and god bless always 

In order to use the Pixie16 you will need an Advanced license at the Pixie16 will use 16 consecutive  unit ID's, Standard license only allows 8. The Pixcon needs to be run on an LOR enhanced network so that would require a Pro license.

1 minute ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Spent a couple of years there in the late 80's at the Naval Air Station.  It was a beautiful place to live and really enjoyed my time there.  Definitely one place I would move to but then again 30 years ago ya'll didn't really like Californians moving in, I doubt that's changed...hahah!

Yeah I think that's change now I came from leaved there 13yrs ago and I think a lot of Californian moved  in here in Washington so I think you'll be fine if you decide to move back and here. Heheheheh

3 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

In order to use the Pixie16 you will need an Advanced license at the Pixie16 will use 16 consecutive  unit ID's, Standard license only allows 8. The Pixcon needs to be run on an LOR enhanced network so that would require a Pro license.

Okey i see, so would you recommend that I go ahead and upgrade my license to advance or to pro? Or would it be better to just go ahead and upgrade it to pro?

16 minutes ago, ferrer light show said:

Okey i see, so would you recommend that I go ahead and upgrade my license to advance or to pro? Or would it be better to just go ahead and upgrade it to pro?

I think you need to make that decision for yourself. Take a look at both of the two and which one you want. Since Dibblejr is offering his services for the Pixie, maybe you take that route. Don't buy or upgrade anything until you know exactly what you need. I'm also looking into expanding into Smart Pixels. Since it's already September, time may be limited to help you out as we all are preparing our own light shows. That being said, we won't turn you away. We'll try our best to help when possible, but I would recommend waiting to incorporate it into the next season (2018).

38 minutes ago, ferrer light show said:

Go to the Software Levels page and compare the different levels and what they can do. Advanced does most and Pro adds Pixel Editor (now called motion effecets), enhanced network and intensity files. If you plan on staying with LOR and using pixels in the future then I recommend Pro, then you are done with upgrades and will only have to renew from time to time.

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-levels/

Edited by Mr. P

10 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Go to the Software Levels page and compare the different levels and what they can do. Advanced does most and Pro adds Pixel Editor (now called motion effecets), enhanced network and intensity files. If you plan on staying with LOR and using pixels in the future then I recommend Pro, then you are done with upgrades and will only have to renew from time to time.

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-levels/

Okey I think that's a good idea as of last year i have thinking about getting a pro version of the software but for some reason I end up getting a standard edition just to see if I gonna like it. But as of last year I was liking the lor  compare to other system out there and and this year I have 500 smart pixel that I acquired from last year for my mega tree project. I hope I have enough time to get going this year thanks for all the help and god bless always..

31 minutes ago, lightingnewb said:

I think you need to make that decision for yourself. Take a look at both of the two and which one you want. Since Dibblejr is offering his services for the Pixie, maybe you take that route. Don't buy or upgrade anything until you know exactly what you need. I'm also looking into expanding into Smart Pixels. Since it's already September, time may be limited to help you out as we all are preparing our own light shows. That being said, we won't turn you away. We'll try our best to help when possible, but I would recommend waiting to incorporate it into the next season (2018).

I was actually been gathering supply's since last year to build my mega tree and also I've deciding on what software I wanna upgrade into the only reason I did not went for pro coz I like to see if this kind of sep up is what I would  really like or  other system but sat of last year I was really happy with the result that's why I decided that I would try to get my megatree project. But I'm also flexible and still willing to wait till next year thank you for your advise and god bless you 

16 hours ago, ferrer light show said:

Thank you for your reply dibblerjr I really appreciate the help. And if you can provide me list oh thing need to to build mega tree that will be helpful thank you and god bless always 

What type of mega tree, 16 strands or more or less?

How tall?

What pixels do you have 5 or 12v and what is their length

Yoi still have time to make it before Christmas if you are motivated.

Thats a start.

JR

On 9/8/2017 at 6:16 AM, dibblejr said:

What type of mega tree, 16 strands or more or less?

How tall?

What pixels do you have 5 or 12v and what is their length

Yoi still have time to make it before Christmas if you are motivated.

Thats a start.

JR

About 10foot  tall 16 or 32  I have 1000 pcs. 5v smart pixel that are in 50pixel per string and and I have 20 string so a total 1000pixel so I make it at any length thank you and god bless 

35 minutes ago, ferrer light show said:

About 10foot  tall 16 or 32  I have 1000 pcs. 5v smart pixel that are in 50pixel per string and and I have 20 string so a total 1000pixel so I make it at any length thank you and god bless 

My tree build would be great for a 10' tree. Use the new and improved EMT method. You can then add some side bracing (frame) to make it a stand a lone tree. 

On 9/9/2017 at 11:42 AM, dibblejr said:

My tree build would be great for a 10' tree. Use the new and improved EMT method. You can then add some side bracing (frame) to make it a stand a lone tree. 

As of last year I have  1000 nodes ws2811 5volt smart pixel in 20  string, and 5volt 350watt power supply,  and also I have  alpha pix 4 controller, this year I purchase 3 cable guard cg-1500, diy 10'mega tree kit by boscoyo studio, 23" star topper 

things needed

power supply 

3 pin connector 

lor pixie 16 controler 2x

hopefully this is all I need to complete the build. if there is anything else I need please let me know thank you so much and god bless always 

1 hour ago, ferrer light show said:

As of last year I have  1000 nodes ws2811 5volt smart pixel in 20  string, and 5volt 350watt power supply,  and also I have  alpha pix 4 controller, this year I purchase 3 cable guard cg-1500, diy 10'mega tree kit by boscoyo studio, 23" star topper 

things needed

power supply 

3 pin connector 

lor pixie 16 controler 2x

hopefully this is all I need to complete the build. if there is anything else I need please let me know thank you so much and god bless always 

I'm not sure what's included in the BS tree kit so that part is up to you.

I also do not know about the alphapix.

Depending on how many strings you plan on having will determine the controllers. If 16 strands just 1 for the tree. If 32 then yes to keep it simple 2 pixie16's are perfect

As far as cables. If I had to do it all again I would buy at least 10' extensions from HC or your preferred source and cut them to use. I purchased pigtails and they were to short so then I ordered 5' extensions and they work but I could have used a little extra length. The 10 footers are about $6 each.

Get yourself a roll of 12 or 14 gauge wire for the power supplies to wire to the board. You can just buy one color and mark it on the ends with tape so you don't use the wrong wire for +, -, N or get all 3 colors.

Don't forget you will need the power cord for the power supply (id buy this fro same vendor as the extensions)

Aso I know the 350 watt ps's are cheaper however if you can afford it get yourself the meanwell 750 watt. Instead of 2 ps's per pixie you only need the one. I have done it both ways. I could have used a smaller box had I went with my gut instead of my wallet the first time. 

I prob missed something, but if I think of anything I will add to your thread.

JR