Light-O-Rama Forums

RBG Guidance

Septon

9 minutes ago, Septon said:

And are you using 3 CMDs to run 15 Floods? 

I am sorry, this is my first time with RBG, and well... I don't have them yet.  So please excuse my ignorance.

No problem what so ever.

Yep, I'm using 3 CMB-16 controllers for each the mega tree tower and mega arch. They didn't have the 24s yet at the time.

http://store.lightorama.com/cmdedcca2.html

Edited by Santas Helper

Just now, Santas Helper said:

No problem what so ever.

Yep, I'm using 3 CMB-16 controllers for each the mega tree tower and mega arch. They didn't have the 24s yet at the time.

So you still believe I can run 16 Floods off of 1 24 card? (2 per)

And man... CAT 5... I LOVE IT!!  Making my life seem so easy.  It works fine?

You'll need 48 channels to run 16 floods so you'll need two of them.

And the Cat 5 works like a dream and I make my own lengths too. :) 

5 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

You'll need 48 channels to run 16 floods so you'll need two of them.

And the Cat 5 works like a dream and I make my own lengths too. :) 

Hypothetically, Lets say.  I have 1 24Channel card.  And I hooked 2 (using cat 5 man I love that) to the 1 4 channel.... would it not light 2 (granted same colour and etc would be on it).  Or is there too much of a power draw on the 4 Channel to run 2 10Watt?  Perhaps have a bigger power supply working them (160 watt draw I will have a 360watt) ?? (I have a casual at best relationship with electricity... )

Just now, Septon said:

Hypothetically, Lets say.  I have 1 24Channel card.  And I hooked 2 (using cat 5 man I love that) to the 1 4 channel.... would it not light 2 (granted same colour and etc would be on it).  Or is there too much of a power draw on the 4 Channel to run 2 10Watt?  Perhaps have a bigger power supply working them (160 watt draw I will have a 360watt) ?? (I have a casual at best relationship with electricity... )

I will tell you what i am trying to do... I have a vast length of woods and drive way... and I want to have lights all along it... 16 will be perfect, 8 is just awkward.  If I can't do it with RBG I will get the 16 plug... but then I have to buy extension cords etc if I use that.  It is on sale for $205... the CMD is $95.  I buy 160 of Lights (10 watt) it is only a difference of $50.. and I don't need extension cords, light bulbs, and lights, and I can control colours... I may just go with

3 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

You stated in your original post that you needed help today,,, getting enough?  :D

haha I certainly AM!! Thank you ALL!!

11 minutes ago, Septon said:

Keep in mind, if you are wanting to run an RGB device and using the CMB 16 or 24, you will need three channels per device to use all three colors unless you just want to run one color. 

21 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

Keep in mind, if you are wanting to run an RGB device and using the CMB 16 or 24, you will need three channels per device to use all three colors unless you just want to run one color. 

Fair deal... however I have 8 X R 8 X B 8 x G devices that can hook too.  So if I hook 2 devices per R, per B, per G (2 per +) times those 8 channels...

Am I making sense... I guess the bigger question does this card have enough power to push out a 20watt as it will be 2x10watt.  ??

yhst-1552586516070_2270_11837639

30 minutes ago, Septon said:

I have a vast length of woods and drive way... and I want to have lights all along it...

This statement and the one below raises a concern.  How long is your "vast length"?

46 minutes ago, Septon said:

And man... CAT 5... I LOVE IT!!  Making my life seem so easy.  It works fine?

Cat-5 is 24 AWG wire which is pretty small.  A 10W flood is a little over a quarter amp per color at 12 volts which is not a lot.  However running a long distance may cause problems with voltage drop.  24AWG copper wire has just over 25 ohms of resistance for every 1,000 feet.  So, let's say your driveway requires 250 feet of wire, that would be about 6 ohms.  With a quarter amp, that would be about a volt and a half drop in each direction, so the 12 volts would be down to about nine volts.  By comparison, 18 AWG is about six ohms per thousand feet.  Just something to keep in mind.  Santas Helper's runs are fairly short by comparison which may be why it works well for him.

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

This statement and the one below raises a concern.  How long is your "vast length"?

Cat-5 is 24 AWG wire which is pretty small.  A 10W flood is a little over a quarter amp per color at 12 volts which is not a lot.  However running a long distance may cause problems with voltage drop.  24AWG copper wire has just over 25 ohms of resistance for every 1,000 feet.  So, let's say your driveway requires 250 feet of wire, that would be about 6 ohms.  With a quarter amp, that would be about a volt and a half drop in each direction, so the 12 volts would be down to about nine volts.  By comparison, 18 AWG is about six ohms per thousand feet.  Just something to keep in mind.  Santas Helper's runs are fairly short by comparison which may be why it works well for him.

That is a great point, his is a few feet.  Mine may be 150'

With 150 feet, I would be inclined to use heavier wire than Cat-5.  But I tend to operate rather conservatively.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

With 150 feet, I would be inclined to use heavier wire than Cat-5.  But I tend to operate rather conservatively.

But based on your theory, I could run 2 10watt per 4 channel if I twisted the wires together right?  And still run a 12 30a 360w?  (In theory)

8 minutes ago, Septon said:

But based on your theory, I could run 2 10watt per 4 channel if I twisted the wires together right?  And still run a 12 30a 360w?  (In theory)

Looking at the last part first.  You could max out at 36 10 watt floods on a single 360 watt power supply - although I personally would not want to exceed 28 (80% max load on the power supply).  The power supply and CMB24D could handle that.

On your first part, I assume you mean running two floods per three channels (not four).  That would be eight pairs of floods for the board or 16 floods total.  That would be well within the capabilities of the CMB24D and the power supply..  For your question about twisting the wires together, I assume you meant run a separate cable for each flood and twist the wires together at the CMB24D to connect to the controller.  That would not be a problem.  If you are running larger wire, you could run a single four conductor cable from the controller (one wire each for Red, Green, Blue, & Common +V), and then split that to two cables out near the two floods that will be lit the same if that would save some cable.  May depend on how you want to arrange the lights.

9 minutes ago, Septon said:

That description does not tell two important things.  For our purposes, the lights need to have a common positive and switched negative voltage.  I can't find anywhere on that description if that is the case.  The other is if the light has a built in controller that is expecting something like a DMX command, or has a remote to control it.  There is no mention of a controller or remote, so I would guess that it does not have one.  The polarity is also not mentioned, so it may or may not be correct - can't tell...

2 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Looking at the last part first.  You could max out at 36 10 watt floods on a single 360 watt power supply - although I personally would not want to exceed 28 (80% max load on the power supply).  The power supply and CMB24D could handle that.

On your first part, I assume you mean running two floods per three channels (not four).  That would be eight pairs of floods for the board or 16 floods total.  That would be well within the capabilities of the CMB24D and the power supply..  For your question about twisting the wires together, I assume you meant run a separate cable for each flood and twist the wires together at the CMB24D to connect to the controller.  That would not be a problem.  If you are running larger wire, you could run a single four conductor cable from the controller (one wire each for Red, Green, Blue, & Common +V), and then split that to two cables out near the two floods that will be lit the same if that would save some cable.  May depend on how you want to arrange the lights.

That description does not tell two important things.  For our purposes, the lights need to have a common positive and switched negative voltage.  I can't find anywhere on that description if that is the case.  The other is if the light has a built in controller that is expecting something like a DMX command, or has a remote to control it.  There is no mention of a controller or remote, so I would guess that it does not have one.  The polarity is also not mentioned, so it may or may not be correct - can't tell...

OK... so Awesome, I was thinking of running 16 tops, so 8 Pair!  Like the daisy chain idea.

As for the rest... I am on a "SLOOOOOW CHAT" with these guys I will ask them.  I am 90% there... If I get this part squared away I learned a lot today, and will have to learn how to program RBG haha.

12 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Ok... here is the response.

It has two wires, the anode and cathode, which directly connect the 12V voltage
if you want RGB , it have  a remote controller 

So I take it that last part, a remote controller is bad?

8 minutes ago, Septon said:

Ok... here is the response.

It has two wires, the anode and cathode, which directly connect the 12V voltage

if you want RGB , it have  a remote controller 

So I take it that last part, a remote controller is bad?

Ok this was updated. 

With a control panel, a remote controller. You can directly through the remote control lamp