Light-O-Rama Forums

wire

Jeffery m

18-2 (stranded)  Plus Shield (a ground ) is is pretty much 18-2. so far as electrons are considered :)

This looks like instrumentation wire. It might be intended for stationary applications (conduit/cable tray)

It may not be flexible enough

the jacket may not be durable.

it may not be friendly with vampire plugs

I had a guy tell me he uses security wire instead of spt because its cheaper but he also said he uses the male/female ends off old lightsd

8 minutes ago, Jeffery m said:

I was just curios if since its 18 g wire wouyld it be possible to connect spt 1 vamps

Insulation toughness + thickness, stranding  (and softness) . remember SPT wire is a Siamese with a known spacing.

I assume this wire is way cheaper. there may be a reason as shielded wire is not usually cheaper than good old SPT

I can't quite tell from the photo, but it may be low voltage wire for speakers or security cameras.

I agree with everyone above and their concerns. Vampires pierce the insulation at specific points in the jacket they're designed for (SPT). With that said, even using the matched SPT1 with SPT1 vampires, you sometimes have issues. I really doubt there is anyway you can make that round twisted pair cable work. Don't try to reinvent the process. Vampires are a time-tested cheap a$$ way of making cords in the first place. 

Last day of the sell and so you need to order now.  

http://store.lightorama.com/sptwire.html

• Like 1

You have to admit, $53 for 500' of SPT-1 is the cheapest you will find anywhere. I grab a roll at every sale whether I need it or not just because it won't be any cheaper for the rest of the year.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

You have to admit, $53 for 500' of SPT-1 is the cheapest you will find anywhere. I grab a roll at every sale whether I need it or not just because it won't be any cheaper for the rest of the year.

Yep, I'm putting in my sale order this morning, and including a roll for the same reason Mr. P is.

My sale order was on my porch when I got home last night (and it included 20 more Vampire plugs)

. Way to go LOR