Light-O-Rama Forums

22x45 Matrix Build (Scaling down sequences)

cjcruz

I'm building a 22x45 matrix. Made it from pre-cut sheet of pegboard Home Depot sells. Pixels are 1 inch center to center. So it's not too big or small and resolution is good from 10-15 feet away. Square pixels fits perfect. Also using 2 PixCon 16 controllers.

All the matrix sequence on Holiday Sequence site are 24x50. How can I scale it down to fit mine better. I tried changing rows and pixel length in SuperStar but 2 rows on top gets cut off. If I can get 1 row on top and one on the bottom it would look much better. Also tried scaling in SuperStar and that didn't work. Must be something I'm not getting right. I'm also thinking of rebuilding my matrix and make it 24x50 but will have to wait for next year. Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bwkh5bbJ5UwWcTJUX0ZtaHJjZTQ?usp=sharing

Edited by cjcruz

2 hours ago, cjcruz said:

I'm building a 22x45 matrix. Made it from pre-cut sheet of pegboard Home Depot sells. Pixels are 1 inch center to center. So it's not too big or small and resolution is good from 10-15 feet away. Square pixels fits perfect. Also using 2 PixCon 16 controllers.

All the matrix sequence on Holiday Sequence site are 24x50. How can I scale it down to fit mine better. I tried changing rows and pixel length in SuperStar but 2 rows on top gets cut off. If I can get 1 row on top and one on the bottom it would look much better. Also tried scaling in SuperStar and that didn't work. Must be something I'm not getting right. I'm also thinking of rebuilding my matrix and make it 24x50 but will have to wait for next year. Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bwkh5bbJ5UwWcTJUX0ZtaHJjZTQ?usp=sharing

You would be better off to build the 24x50 size. You cannot scale it down to make it work correctly in Superstar. I have a 24x50 and it looks great especially with the sequences that Chris makes from holiday sequences.

2 hours ago, ebrown1972 said:

You would be better off to build the 24x50 size. You cannot scale it down to make it work correctly in Superstar. I have a 24x50 and it looks great especially with the sequences that Chris makes from holiday sequences.

I agree with this statement. Easier to add the 5 pixels per channel rather than consuming a lot of dedicated hours to reduce the size. I was one of the first to buy the HS matrix sheet 24X50 and it was well worth the $75 plus shipping. If you think that is too much to spend you could just add another piece of pegboard and just make whatever frame a little larger.

IMHO/ FWIW

JR

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

I agree with this statement. Easier to add the 5 pixels per channel rather than consuming a lot of dedicated hours to reduce the size. I was one of the first to buy the HS matrix sheet 24X50 and it was well worth the $75 plus shipping. If you think that is too much to spend you could just add another piece of pegboard and just make whatever frame a little larger.

IMHO/ FWIW

JR

Thanks for the input. I first did try to resize. Like you said it was taking hours to do. The 24x50 sheet from HS has a 1.9" spacing which makes the matrix about 4'x8'. That's big! 1" spacing is about 2'x4'. I can fit it almost anyplace in the yard. I got lucky. My frame has enough room where I can fit a row of pixels on top and one on the bottom. That would make my matrix 24x45. Going to see what that looks like. Next spring I can rebuild and make a 24x50. Maybe someone will sell a matrix sheet with 1" spacing by then.

17 hours ago, ebrown1972 said:

One more agree with this statement.  As a general rule of thumb, it is easier to increase the size of a matrix than shrink it - but either can be a bunch of work.

Calculations indicate you should be able to get 50 pixels wide at .96" spacing on 4' board. The rows you already have. Unless I am missing something.

Also I think you can get pixel net that is 1" spacing

JR

On 8/30/2017 at 10:04 AM, dibblejr said:

Calculations indicate you should be able to get 50 pixels wide at .96" spacing on 4' board. The rows you already have. Unless I am missing something.

Also I think you can get pixel net that is 1" spacing

JR

Pre-cut pegboard I bought from HD has has 24x47 holes 1 inch spacing. It works for now. Next year I'll look into pixel net or something else with 1" spacing. It's not a cost factor as much as size. I tested my 24x45 matrix. It looks good for this year. Now to decide which matrix sequences to buy from HS.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwkh5bbJ5UwWZVM2ekRzcTFKQzA/view?usp=sharing

21 minutes ago, cjcruz said:

Pre-cut pegboard I bought from HD has has 24x47 holes 1 inch spacing. It works for now. Next year I'll look into pixel net or something else with 1" spacing. It's not a cost factor as much as size. I tested my 24x45 matrix. It looks good for this year. Now to decide which matrix sequences to buy from HS.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwkh5bbJ5UwWZVM2ekRzcTFKQzA/view?usp=sharing

Looks great

JR

• The topic was locked