Light-O-Rama Forums

Where to buy extension cords

webbie

Im adding 96 more channels to our display this year. And last year i spent alot of money on extension cords,

My question to you is where do you buy your extension cords for your display? Or do you make them yourself.

ANy info would be of big help.

ANd yes I know i could just put the controllers closer to my display and run cat 5 cable , but in the area i live in, some very dishonest people tend to take things that do not belong to them.

I look for discounted stores ..., like big lots, dollar .. even lowes and HD .. Look at all the shleves .. LE rule number one ... don't just look at the obvious ... I found 5 cases of 50 foot cords once on the very top shelve for 3.00 a cord ... and 3 cases of 100 foot cords for 12.00 each sitting off in the plumbing area. We also have a HD clearence center here. Stores going out of business are great finds ..

Clearence centers, same thing look around and ask .. even in places you wouldn't normally find them. even ask for a discount on the discount ... most often you will get it if you are buying a case .. BTW a case can be 12 or 24 or 48 cords but make sure you know the price per cord ..

I don't make my own cords even being an electrican by trade.

you will get good at looking ... it will become second nature to you ... you will even begin to smell them .. LAUGHING .. you will become a EC Junky ..

you have lots of time ... but not lots of time for looking .... ask your friends to keep an eye out for you as well ..

form a local cord hunting brigade .. you will get to a point where you will say ... NAH I really don't need anymore cords and start phoning buddies in the area and telling them about the finds, and soon they will get tired of you calling them ... LAUGHING ..

don't put off looking .. make it your number one priority ... LAUGHING but you have some time yet

Yeah what you said make sence. Last year we raided 2 home depot stores and lowes. lol

I actully just went today to see how much a spool of cable is and they want 44.00 for 100 feet of 16 gauge extension cord wire. Not worth it when you have to then pay an extra 4 bucks an end. :shock:

I never thought of big lots. We actully have one here in town, i will have to give them a shot. Thanks for the info =)

get a steel coat hanger ... cut the hook off ... then cut the remaing part in half ...

bend those pieces so they form an L about 4 inches long and whatever is left ...

hold them in your hands (the 4 inch side) loosely ... Point one south and one east ...

walk 10 feet ... if they move and cross ... that is the direction you must go ... there will be 50 foot cords there ...

if they don't cross walk 10 more feet ... again same thing ... repeat until they cross or you don't know where you are ...

if you start with one north and one west .. again walk 10 feet ... there will be 100 foot cords ...

if you get lost ... wave the bent coat hangers in the air like your are directing music ... keep it up until the Police come and they take you home hopefully ...

when they ask what you are doing just say "Bill said that I could find cords this way".... They Know me and will understand ...

Hey when you did your mega trees, where did you mount your controllers? I noticed in your video you had like 3 trees? Did you mount it inside ? Im trying to keep all my controller in the garage.

Webbie ,

My trees? .. there were eight of them last year.... there will be 16 this year ...

My controllers are placed in close proximty to the activity ... I have under ground power (30 Circuits) run out into the various places in the yard as well.

I have 160 channels, and some X10, so it still makes for mega extension cord use.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you will find that making your own cords from SPT2 wire and the vampire plug ends will save you time, money and storage space.

Neil M

webbie wrote:

Hey when you did your mega trees, where did you mount your controllers? I noticed in your video you had like 3 trees? Did you mount it inside ? Im trying to keep all my controller in the garage.

Last year was my first year.... I wanted all my LOR boxes to be safe in one location..... Turned out to be a bad idea.... For no other reason than the fact it will eat you up in extention cord costs..... Do the math.... 2 long extention cords vs. 16 long extention cords.....

This year the boxes will be closer to the displays.... lesson learned...