Light-O-Rama Forums
Ty O

Appending Superstar file to Sequence file

When I export from Superstar to a sequence, I would like to be able to append to a sequence.(This would allow me to develop props independently and then merge into a master file.)  Currently, Superstar writes over the existing sequence.

Have you tried selecting a section of a motion effect row, then right-clicking on the selection and selecting "Insert SuperStar Effect" from the pop-up menu.

This is shown in this presentation:

http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/ShowTime5-SuperStarIntegration-RevA.pdf

If that doesn't accomplish what you need, can you explain what you are trying to achieve in a little more detail? Thanks!

Matt

Matt,

Thank you for getting back to me.  I have started working with Superstar the way you mentioned but I am having some difficulties.  I typically build a prop outside of the sequencer in Superstar and then integrate the completed prop back into the sequencer.  Say a 20 x 20 matrix.  As far as I know, I don't know of a way to decompose Superstar to get single channel versions of the display built. Over the past few days, I have been working to see if I could paste the completed Superstar 20 x 20 matrix into the sequencer as you suggested.  What I have observed is that although I defined the matrix array as 3 subarrays (140 pixels, 140 pixels, and 120 pixels) in the Design Preview when I go into the sequencer and select Insert Superstar Feature the matrices are not the correct length.  They are only 17 pixels long per row, not 20 pixels.  I have also seen when I paste the Superstar sequence into the Sequencer Superstar window, the sequence loses fidelity.  i.e. a 7 row layout imports as a 3 row layout.  I am pasting the complete 20 x 20 matrix Superstar sequence into the Sequencer Superstar subwindow, so this may be causing problems, but I don't know how to decompose Superstar to only show one channel of a design.

I am still very excited about S5.  You have incorporated many features that I do like and am looking forward to working with it for years to come (or at least until you come out with S6).

Cheers,

Ty Olmstead 

I think there is also another application to this question. When I purchase Superstar sequences for the 12 CCR tree - I need to incorporate that into my overall show. What I have done in the past was to create the Superstar section, then merge it with the LOR show file - But with S5, I am not clear now how best to do that. Perhaps I can have one sequence of the full show - a second sequence of just the Superstar (12 CCR) elements, then do a row-by-row  select rows - copy from the Superstar rows into the parallel CCR rows in the full sequence.

On 8/26/2017 at 7:28 AM, Ty O said:

Matt,

Thank you for getting back to me.  I have started working with Superstar the way you mentioned but I am having some difficulties.  I typically build a prop outside of the sequencer in Superstar and then integrate the completed prop back into the sequencer.  Say a 20 x 20 matrix.  As far as I know, I don't know of a way to decompose Superstar to get single channel versions of the display built. Over the past few days, I have been working to see if I could paste the completed Superstar 20 x 20 matrix into the sequencer as you suggested.  What I have observed is that although I defined the matrix array as 3 subarrays (140 pixels, 140 pixels, and 120 pixels) in the Design Preview when I go into the sequencer and select Insert Superstar Feature the matrices are not the correct length.  They are only 17 pixels long per row, not 20 pixels.  I have also seen when I paste the Superstar sequence into the Sequencer Superstar window, the sequence loses fidelity.  i.e. a 7 row layout imports as a 3 row layout.  I am pasting the complete 20 x 20 matrix Superstar sequence into the Sequencer Superstar subwindow, so this may be causing problems, but I don't know how to decompose Superstar to only show one channel of a design.

I am still very excited about S5.  You have incorporated many features that I do like and am looking forward to working with it for years to come (or at least until you come out with S6).

Cheers,

Ty Olmstead 

If you define your 20x20 matrix in the S5 preview as follows, it should display correctly in SuperStar:

Matrix 20x20.png

34 minutes ago, htebault said:

I think there is also another application to this question. When I purchase Superstar sequences for the 12 CCR tree - I need to incorporate that into my overall show. What I have done in the past was to create the Superstar section, then merge it with the LOR show file - But with S5, I am not clear now how best to do that. Perhaps I can have one sequence of the full show - a second sequence of just the Superstar (12 CCR) elements, then do a row-by-row  select rows - copy from the Superstar rows into the parallel CCR rows in the full sequence.

In S4, would you paste in 600 rows at a time (50 RGB channels times 12 CCRs)?

Matt

Hey Matt, sorry to jump in , but in S4 I would do a copy and paste of the exported Superstar file into my regular file. I'm a little confused now of how to get a superstar file into the s5 sequencer.

2 hours ago, MattBrown said:

In S4, would you paste in 600 rows at a time (50 RGB channels times 12 CCRs)?

Matt

No actually - I would break it into several sequential cut/paste steps to get them all. I don't remember how many rows, but I think I would open about 3-4 CCR's at a time.  It was a bit time consuming, but I thought it was the only way for me to move those elements into a composite file and run.

I am now testing how the 12CCR tree and star (6 channels) - could be edited. If I need to open a new topic, please advise.

In S5, I have a sequence that included a 6 channel star and 12 CCR tree, their sequencing had been done in Superstar. When I try to now edit those elements, I am not currently able to either create a group (6 star channels/12 CCR channels), or highlight a group of rows then Insert Superstar Sequence.

The Insert Superstar sequence is limited to working on GROUP elements. I did create a 12CCR Tree group - choose that row/Insert Superstar and got a Superstar window with one window showing 12 pixel strings in the shape of the tree - but the Superstar matrix, where I would control the on/off lighting and define the morphs - was only 8 elements wide, not the 12 I expect. When I went to run this in Superstar, the music ran, but nothing was shown on the UI.  That sequence was showing in the S5 UI. - I think I will pull this item into a bug report and open it there.

What I would hope to see would be the ability to group the 6 channel Star and 12 CCR tree into one group, transfer it to Superstar showing the expected STAR and 12 CCR grid.

On 9/3/2017 at 4:13 PM, anthonyrusso3 said:

Hey Matt, sorry to jump in , but in S4 I would do a copy and paste of the exported Superstar file into my regular file. I'm a little confused now of how to get a superstar file into the s5 sequencer.

That is the method I used last year in S4 to incorporate my CCP arches into the show. So far, I can not find a way to make it work. I tried copying from Superstar into the instance of superstar which opened the I used the S5 Command for inserting a sequence.  That sort of worked.  I could copy and paste from one instance of SS to another. However, it doesn’t Play correctly.