Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Matrix Questions

MetalMatrix

13 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

That seems amazing that a single power supply can handle that much!

the draw from each panel plus the Pi is really small.  It is my understanding that what I have can support up to 64 panels before I would need to add another Pi and power supply.

3 hours ago, MetalMatrix said:

So Dibblejr,

would you recommend then 50s instead of 100s for versatility or are the LOR 100's 2 50's together as IC they do not sell single 100 pixels strings. I was thinking since my window is 82 1/2 inches by 52 3/4 that I was thinking 80 X 50 eventually with 1 inch spacing. But that would be for the future and if I decided to go with the matrix that Caniac has then I switch those pixels to a tree or even arches.

Yes with my research I was aware of the possible color variations with different MFC strings I just want to make sure if I go LOR that I have other options later on.

My pixels are 2" spacing and it is very clear at 10" and in day light. Once I finish all of the wiring it will go outside for the test at a longer distance but I am sure it will be a very nice picture.

The actual size of my matrix is 95 X 45.5". That is the frame but it is pretty much on the very edge of the frame. According to LOR you should be able to connect at least 100 pixels per channel. I use the pixie16 so I am not familiar with the pixcon. Others here are very well versed at those and DMX mode. I like to keep my simple and just use the LOR network.

I have been testing my controllers since Feb on my man cave floor and just this last weekend got the time to take a break from sequencing and put my matrix together. I was going to use 2 pixie 16's however I will be changing one to a pixie 8 instead. That gives me 4 pixie16's for other projects.

When it comes to the strings as long as you get them from the same mfg and same date you should be good.

JR

On 8/28/2017 at 8:34 AM, BMurray said:

Sounds like I got me a project for next season? gonna start doing my research...

Damn you guys, now you're giving me ideas.  I have a spot that I've been trying to figure out what to put there.  If I were to do a matrix, there is room for 96 x about 42 inches, but both ends would be blocked depending on where the viewer was located.  I could safely go to 84 inches wide without any blockage.  Better yet, the location is at least partially shielded from rain (under the eves), and there is easy access to both power and my e1.31 network.  I'm talking about the blank wall that is behind the pixel tree in this old photo.  The tree moved about 10 feet to the right in 2014 and I've been trying to figure out what to do on that wall.

Front_yard.sm.jpg

I have the same pixel matrix as jr, 24x50 which is 4'x8'. However, I am running my matrix with a Falcon  F16V3 on E1.31 using 12 of the ports with 100 string pixels in a zig-zag. This leaves me with four extra ports so I am thinking of using two of the extra ports to put lights around the outside of the matrix frame.

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Damn you guys, now you're giving me ideas.  I have a spot that I've been trying to figure out what to put there.  If I were to do a matrix, there is room for 96 x about 42 inches, but both ends would be blocked depending on where the viewer was located.  I could safely go to 84 inches wide without any blockage.  Better yet, the location is at least partially shielded from rain (under the eves), and there is easy access to both power and my e1.31 network.  I'm talking about the blank wall that is behind the pixel tree in this old photo.  The tree moved about 10 feet to the right in 2014 and I've been trying to figure out what to do on that wall.

Front_yard.sm.jpg

what are the dimensions of that space?  Will the shrub be cut back?

7 minutes ago, caniac said:

what are the dimensions of that space?  Will the shrub be cut back?

Drawing a horizontal line just below the low point of the eves, and then a horizontal line at the top of the Azalias (and there are three of them there) leaves 42 inches vertically.  From the extreme left edge to the point on the right at the left edge of the dark green 4x4 (behind the right side of the pixel tree) is 96 inches.  From the viewing angle where the photo was shown, you can see the entire 96 inches, however because the wall juts out about 15 inches to where the bay window is, someone to the left of the photographer (what I tell people is the prime viewing spot from a car) would miss the left few inches.  Similarly for someone off to the right, the 4x4 would block the right edge.  Hence my thought about 84 inches wide by 42 high.  I could trim the Azalias a little bit to push it to 48 high.  If I wanted to go non rectangular, I could go higher on the left, but I'm not sure that would buy me much useful.  Going to 42 x 84 would be 49 P10 panels if I got that right - 7 x 7 if the panels are in "landscape".  Or 56 panels if I went to 96 inches wide.

14 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Drawing a horizontal line just below the low point of the eves, and then a horizontal line at the top of the Azalias (and there are three of them there) leaves 42 inches vertically.  From the extreme left edge to the point on the right at the left edge of the dark green 4x4 (behind the right side of the pixel tree) is 96 inches.  From the viewing angle where the photo was shown, you can see the entire 96 inches, however because the wall juts out about 15 inches to where the bay window is, someone to the left of the photographer (what I tell people is the prime viewing spot from a car) would miss the left few inches.  Similarly for someone off to the right, the 4x4 would block the right edge.  Hence my thought about 84 inches wide by 42 high.  I could trim the Azalias a little bit to push it to 48 high.  If I wanted to go non rectangular, I could go higher on the left, but I'm not sure that would buy me much useful.  Going to 42 x 84 would be 49 P10 panels if I got that right - 7 x 7 if the panels are in "landscape".  Or 56 panels if I went to 96 inches wide.

you could build a "mockup" using 1/2" PVC and elbows.  that would give you an idea of the dimensions and which way to go plus cost is minimal (couple of dollars for a couple of 10 footers).  Usually when I am in doubt about something I will build a "mockup" to scale and see how it looks.

4 hours ago, caniac said:

you could build a "mockup" using 1/2" PVC and elbows.  that would give you an idea of the dimensions and which way to go plus cost is minimal (couple of dollars for a couple of 10 footers).  Usually when I am in doubt about something I will build a "mockup" to scale and see how it looks.

Not a bad idea.  I have plenty of PVC pieces laying around...

10 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Not a bad idea.  I have plenty of PVC pieces laying around...

one of the "side effects" of this hobby!! lol :) 

• 4 months later...

So I have decided to order the P10 panels but before I do was wondering if anyone in the Lower Mainland area of BC or even close to the boarder want to tag onto my order to share the shipping cost. Let me know.

Thanks