Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Matrix Questions

MetalMatrix

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:00 PM, Little_b said:

You can make your matrix as big or small as you want.  It's all up to how much work and DIY you want to put into it.  My matrix is 126 x 63 pixel nodes (32' x 16')  I built mine using Holiday Coro's PixNode Nets 3" on center, and 2 Pixcon 16's.  Keep in mind your viewing distance will also determine how close you need your pixels.  I used Pixel Editor to sequence my matrix, SS will do the same, as well as the others posted in this forum. 

@Little_b great display.  What do you use on the tree just behind the Tune To sign to create the falling light effect?

thanks-

Jeff

Caniac,

Nice pictures.  As I recall, you said the matrix would be inside the window.  Assuming the window in the background of the photos is the window in question, are you planning on doing something to work around the blockage from the window structure?  I would have the same issue, if I were do the same thing.  I don't have a closeup of my front bay window, but this shows it (photo take during Police Memorial week - hence it all blue and the flags at half staff).  The grid is about 3/4 wide so it would likely block one or two pixels.

Blue_yard_left.jpg

5 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Caniac,

Nice pictures.  As I recall, you said the matrix would be inside the window.  Assuming the window in the background of the photos is the window in question, are you planning on doing something to work around the blockage from the window structure?  I would have the same issue, if I were do the same thing.  I don't have a closeup of my front bay window, but this shows it (photo take during Police Memorial week - hence it all blue and the flags at half staff).  The grid is about 3/4 wide so it would likely block one or two pixels.

Blue_yard_left.jpg

my picture window is one solid piece of glass with no blockage, the frame I have though can also be used outside because it has a groove for plexi in the front as well as a groove in the back to make it weatherproof.

Edited by caniac

Just now, caniac said:

my picture window is one solid piece of glass with no blockage, the frame I have though can also be used outside because it has a groove for plexi in the front as well as a groove in the back to make it weatherproof.

Thanks.  If I had only known a decade ago when I installed that bay window...

I have a 5'x5' large picture window above my front door that I would like to do something like that with. I could put it totally inside so weather wouldn't be an issue. I will be looking into this for next years project.

3 hours ago, christmascrossing said:

@Little_b great display.  What do you use on the tree just behind the Tune To sign to create the falling light effect?

thanks-

Jeff

They are the Meteor Rain Light Tubes. 

Sorry guys this may have been answered in the Forums but could not find it and I want to make sure before jumping into pixels, strips extra that I get all the facts straight. Now I know the Pixcon16 will control any RGB strings and that the advantage is that it is setup to use LOR protocol. My question is if I buy the pixels from LOR can you connect non LOR pixels to the LOR pixel string. Also I am looking at getting the 100 pixel string but from your experience would it be better for 50 pixels string and if I need 100 to connect two 50's.

What I am planning is making a matrix with the 100's for now and when I have figured out using the other suggested option is to switch the pixels to a tree next Christmas.

Thanks

(And Now I really got the bug)

14 hours ago, caniac said:

P10 MatrixP10 MatrixP10 Matrix

WOW! How many channels does each p10 panel take up? How many controllers do you use for this matrix?

5 hours ago, MetalMatrix said:

Sorry guys this may have been answered in the Forums but could not find it and I want to make sure before jumping into pixels, strips extra that I get all the facts straight. Now I know the Pixcon16 will control any RGB strings and that the advantage is that it is setup to use LOR protocol. My question is if I buy the pixels from LOR can you connect non LOR pixels to the LOR pixel string. Also I am looking at getting the 100 pixel string but from your experience would it be better for 50 pixels string and if I need 100 to connect two 50's.

What I am planning is making a matrix with the 100's for now and when I have figured out using the other suggested option is to switch the pixels to a tree next Christmas.

Thanks

Yes, you can connect any mfg of pixel strings to your controller. And yes connect 50's if need 100. That's going to be a huge matrix depending. Mine is 24X50 just over 8' w by just over 4' tall.

JR

5 hours ago, MetalMatrix said:

Thanks

Yes, you can connect any mfg of pixel strings to your controller. And yes connect 50's if need 100. That's going to be a huge matrix depending. Mine is 24X50 just over 8' w by just over 4' tall.

JR

4 hours ago, BMurray said:

WOW! How many channels does each p10 panel take up? How many controllers do you use for this matrix?

it's 50,000 pixels but doesn't really use a controller.  If you notice the back, the panels daisy chain and I have three "groups".  Those three cables plug into something called a Matrix PiHat which rides on top of a Raspberry Pi.  Pi has both wifi and ethernet accessibility.  A single 350W provides power with plenty left.  Pi has FalconPlayer loaded and I have an IP address set on it and have it configured for my network.  From there it is just a matter of configuring LOR/xLights to see it.

54 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

JR

I have had non-HC pixels not play nice will HC pixels, I would be careful mixing (I have seen color variations).

1 hour ago, caniac said:

I have had non-HC pixels not play nice will HC pixels, I would be careful mixing (I have seen color variations).

Yes, I am not condoning the mixing of different mfg strings. I could only assume the OP wasn't going to purchase 2 strings from HC, 2 strings from LOR, 2 strings from Ray Wu. That just wouldn't make sense. 

JR

3 hours ago, caniac said:

it's 50,000 pixels but doesn't really use a controller.  If you notice the back, the panels daisy chain and I have three "groups".  Those three cables plug into something called a Matrix PiHat which rides on top of a Raspberry Pi.  Pi has both wifi and ethernet accessibility.  A single 350W provides power with plenty left.  Pi has FalconPlayer loaded and I have an IP address set on it and have it configured for my network.  From there it is just a matter of configuring LOR/xLights to see it.

Sounds like I got me a project for next season? gonna start doing my research...

1 minute ago, BMurray said:

Sounds like I got me a project for next season? gonna start doing my research...

if you need my help just "holla"!! :) 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, caniac said:

it's 50,000 pixels...  <snip>

A single 350W provides power with plenty left.

That seems amazing that a single power supply can handle that much!

8 hours ago, dibblejr said:

JR

So Dibblejr,

would you recommend then 50s instead of 100s for versatility or are the LOR 100's 2 50's together as IC they do not sell single 100 pixels strings. I was thinking since my window is 82 1/2 inches by 52 3/4 that I was thinking 80 X 50 eventually with 1 inch spacing. But that would be for the future and if I decided to go with the matrix that Caniac has then I switch those pixels to a tree or even arches.

Yes with my research I was aware of the possible color variations with different MFC strings I just want to make sure if I go LOR that I have other options later on.

Edited by MetalMatrix