Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Matrix Questions

MetalMatrix

Hello,

I am looking at making a Pixel Matrix however my window size is Length = 82 1/2, Width = 52 3/4 inches. I was thinking of going 80X50 pixels but due to the cost I will have to down scale my desire. I was thinking of picking up the Pixcon16 with 16 - 100 pixel set with the thought next year expanding the Matrix. So my questions that I looking for answers is:

1) I am looking at ensuring the terminations are at the bottom or the side. So I was thinking 32X50 or 50X32 which I am more inclined to use since it would look better. My question is the 50X32 a good matrix or is there a better layout that would use up the 1600 pixel count?

2) I am aware that the Pixcon16 controller can handle up to 5440 pixels in the DMX mode however my concern is do I have to power inject, add a second power supply, or can the current system handle the pixel count. Also when I says DMX mode does that mean E1.31 protocol?

Thanks 

I would suggest that you start out with a common size matrix and expand from there. Unless you are comfortable with PE or SS and know how to sequence them yourself. However that is entirely up to you.

You will pay a heavy cost to have anyone sequence that for you. 24X50 is becoming the new norm and you can buy the matrix panel from HS like many of us have. I believe they are around $75 plus S/H which wasn't that bad. They also have the sequences to fit 24X50.

At this time of year you will be hard pressed to get everything up and running prior to the holidays unless you purchase a kit which are also readily available.

I run mine off LOR enhanced network with pixie 16's so I am no help with the DMX side of things.

I do not PI but I use all of mine as 1 string per channel.

You will have to get a matrix panel, power supply(s), frame, pixels, cables, connectors and upgraded license. Put it all together. Then unless you already know how to sequence it, learn how to sequence it. As mentioned above, that's a lot. I started my builds in Jan but actually started planning in Dec and still not 100%. I am retired and have all day to work on my stuff but I am a perfectionist. 

I am just being realistic here.

Best of luck.

JR

BTW- the HS matrix panel will cover that window dimension you give above. Its 8' X 4' something. If it is off by an inch you could just cover that with the frame if it bothered you.

You can also zig zag the pixels so you only need one controller and will still have some extra channels for other items.

JR

9 hours ago, MetalMatrix said:

Also when I says DMX mode does that mean E1.31 protocol?

Yes and no.  The Pixcon is capable of operating in several different communications modes.  First is RS-485 serial.  This can be either LOR protocol or DMX protocol.  Next is ethernet using E1.31 which is DMX over ethernet.  For your purposes however it would have to be either LOR protocol or E1.31.  If you were operating DMX over RS-485 you would be limited to a singe DMX universe which is 170 pixels.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dibblejr said:

You will pay a heavy cost to have anyone sequence that for you. 24X50 is becoming the new norm and you can buy the matrix panel from HS like many of us have. I believe they are around $75 plus S/H which wasn't that bad. They also have the sequences to fit 24X50.

Dibblejr thanks for the feedback and ya I am aware of the time frame but figured since the sale is on to purchase some items and if its not ready so be it at least I will have it for next Christmas. I also figure I use if for the first year for mostly scrolling text. I am assuming that HS is Holliday Coro? I did look at that but with me already having 3 LOR residential boxes sticking with LOR protocol for this year would make things easier. Then next year moving over to E1.31 as I only have a very basic understanding of it.

9 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Next is ethernet using E1.31 which is DMX over ethernet.  For your purposes however it would have to be either LOR protocol or E1.31. 

Thanks Keccc so you are saying that using E1.31 that the DMX single is being sent over the Ethernet were each board has its own IP address. Now I asked this in another post but no one has responded. Can I run both LOR portal call and E1.31 as I have 3 LOR Residential sequence boxes for my LED lights? Also I have been reading in other post about two PS for the PIxCon16 but LOR is only currently selling their kits with One PS so when would you upgrade to two PS.

Edited by MetalMatrix

29 minutes ago, MetalMatrix said:

Dibblejr thanks for the feedback and ya I am aware of the time frame but figured since the sale is on to purchase some items and if its not ready so be it at least I will have it for next Christmas. I also figure I use if for the first year for mostly scrolling text. I am assuming that HS is Holliday Coro? I did look at that but with me already having 3 LOR residential boxes sticking with LOR protocol for this year would make things easier. Then next year moving over to E1.31 as I only have a very basic understanding of it.

Thanks Keccc so you are saying that using E1.31 that the DMX single is being sent over the Ethernet were each board has its own IP address. Now I asked this in another post but no one has responded. Can I run both LOR portal call and E1.31 as I have 3 LOR Residential sequence boxes for my LED lights?

HS is HolidaySequences

http://www.holidaysequences.com/

Yes you can run both a LOR network and a E1.31 network if you have the proper license. An E1.31 network requires an Advanced or Pro license.

Thank you for the information MR. P I figured I could run both but wanted to make sure before jumping into the fire. :-) and I do currently have the advance license.

Edited by MetalMatrix

1 hour ago, MetalMatrix said:

Thank you for the information MR. P I figured I could run both but wanted to make sure before jumping into the fire. :-) and I do currently have the advance license.

Mr P covered HS, Holiday Sequences. It is a great board. I use the pixie16 because I also wanted to stay within the LOR protocol/ networks. I like to keep things simple (at least to me). Really for the price and quality you wont beat it. I believe I was one of the very first to purchase it and was pleased as soon as I took it out of the box and rolled it on the floor.

You can do it if you hurry. I am not in no way trying to discourage you or say it cant be done.

If you have questions feel free to ask me or any of us. Just remember I do not know DMX but building the matrix.... Ive done it.

JR

Thanks again Dibblerjr and no you comments are not discouraging me, it more like the reminder in the background of how it was when I first did my set up. I purchased my first LOR box and it was an eye opener on who much work it really is. Like you I am very particular on how my show looks. Then I purchased a second one last year with another one back in the spring when they had that flash sale and at that time I looked at getting the Pixels but they sold out quickly. I figure it time to step it up and move into the RGB world much to my wife chagrin.

Edited by MetalMatrix

8 hours ago, MetalMatrix said:

Thanks again Dibblerjr and no you comments are not discouraging me, it more like the reminder in the background of how it was when I first did my set up. I purchased my first LOR box and it was an eye opener on who much work it really is. Like you I am very particular on how my show looks. Then I purchased a second one last year with another one back in the spring when they had that flash sale and at that time I looked at getting the Pixels but they sold out quickly. I figure it time to step it up and move into the RGB world much to my wife chagrin.

I don't think you have time to do it this year but next year you might want to look into P10 Matrix Panels, they are 6" x12" panels BUT you can connect them together rather easily and inexpensively.  Pixels are already in the panels so there is no additional purchase of pixels.  What I like about them is capability.  I have a 4' x 4' picture window so some of the usual HC stuff wouldn't work for me without some modification, same on the pixels.  Panels cost me $8 a piece and I needed 32.  With that tight of pixel configuration I get almost TV quality (HD).  Just food for thought.

7 hours ago, caniac said:

I don't think you have time to do it this year but next year you might want to look into P10 Matrix Panels, they are 6" x12" panels BUT you can connect them together rather easily and inexpensively.  Pixels are already in the panels so there is no additional purchase of pixels.  What I like about them is capability.  I have a 4' x 4' picture window so some of the usual HC stuff wouldn't work for me without some modification, same on the pixels.  Panels cost me $8 a piece and I needed 32.  With that tight of pixel configuration I get almost TV quality (HD).  Just food for thought.

Caniac I was looking at those but was not sure how you communicate to them and how you can connect them together. Would you have a picture how it looks in your set up, how you put them together, how many PS you need and finally which program you used. This will give me some ideas going forward.

10 minutes ago, MetalMatrix said:

Caniac I was looking at those but was not sure how you communicate to them and how you can connect them together. Would you have a picture how it looks in your set up, how you put them together, how many PS you need and finally which program you used. This will give me some ideas going forward.

Communication: Raspberry Pi with a Matrix PiHat (cost $35)

they are physically connected with middle and end connectors from BoscoyoStudios, data-wise each panel has a ribbon connector and a power connector, only takes one PS to power and FalconPlayer to run.  With LOR you set the FalconPlayer in bridge mode (makes it act like just another LOR device).  what I have will support 36 panels, with the Octoscroller I think you can support 96 panels.  My 4' x 4' matrix ends up being roughly 50,000 pixels.  Will post pics when I get off work.

Caniac

Okay at first I was going to ask you is you meant that FalconPlayer was the Falcon Board but after some research I now getting a clearer picture. So my question is can I use my computer to run the system or do I have to use a Raspberry Pi. Also can I communicate to the panels using E1.31 protocol.

WOW 50,000 pixels that is a lot to se up. I am also assuming that I can communicate using my computer using E1.31 using the Falcon Board.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by MetalMatrix

17 minutes ago, MetalMatrix said:

Caniac

Okay at first I was going to ask you is you meant that FalconPlayer was the Falcon Board but after some research I now getting a clearer picture. So my question is can I use my computer to run the system or do I have to use a Raspberry Pi. Also can I communicate to the panels using E1.31 protocol.

WOW 50,000 pixels that is a lot to se up. I am also assuming that I can communicate using my computer using E1.31 using the Falcon Board.

Thanks for the feedback.

FalconPlayer runs on the Raspberry Pi, physical connection is E1.31 running on ethernet.  You setup an IP address on the Pi much like you do via a browser for "most" RGB controllers.  From that standpoint it is sorta like any other RGB controller with smart pixels attached.  Pixels are in the panels so not much to setup really, just defining the panels in FalconPlayer.  Setup was done in less than half an hour (the first boot of the Pi sets up FalconPlayer automagically).  you can use your computer to run the show, use the Pi on your matrix to run the show, or setup a separate Pi to run the show.  As I like to say "you have options" and "it's good to have options".

LOL Caniac,

No you got me thinking which at this time is a bad thing as time is short. I like options and challenges in learning new things. I will have lot more questions for you as I move forward since I do like the P10 Panels and looked at them last year as an option. The one question I want to get a bit clearer and you may have said it but want to make sure. You stated "You can use your computer to run the Show" so does that mean I do not need a Raspberry Pi to run the matrix?

However going forward being the Raspberry Pi are relatively cheep and I wanted to look at getting into learning the system. Which RP should I purchase, I was think the RP V3 model b which is the newest and is very versatile but I am assuming I could use the Raspberry PI V2 Model b.

Thanks again.

FalconPlayer has a Linux core that tells the Pi how to handle things so not a whole to tinker with there.  You will need the Pi to run the matrix because you need something to sort out the data you send and have it show on the correct panel, the panels don't have those kinds of smart.  Doesn't matter which Pi you buy but you will need a Matrix PiHat or Octoscroller to connect your panels to.  Most folks use the BeagleBone Black (available on Amazon) and the Octoscroller.  It will really depend on how big a matrix you build as to what you use.  In my case I have two rows of four P10's daisychained to port one on my PiHat, then the second group of two rows followed by the third.  The only issues I have heard about with regard to the Pi centered around the Pi zero.

1 hour ago, christmascrossing said:

@caniac Do you run your displays from inside the house, or have you created weatherproof enclosures for outdoor use?

it will be inside and mounted to the picture window but the frame for it supports weatherproofing (can be sealed with plexi).