Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding a programming only PC

Say watt??

Hey all. It's been quite a while since I've posted, BUSY summer with a deck and patio overhaul. I hope everyone is well and getting lots of stuff done! 

I want to dedicate a computer to running shows only and have a second so I can work on more sequencing while everything is set up and ready to run.

My existing computer is running Win 7 and the one I'm considering is a Win 10 machine. Both are laptops. I would like to use the Win 10 computer to run shows and program only with the Win 7 PC.

Does anyone see any issues with this? Does LOR play well with Win 10? Could there be issues with file transfers between these two versions of Windows? Will I be allowed to download updates/upgrades to both machines? Any tips or tricks on strategies for keeping things organized between the two computers would also be appreciated. 

Having two computers is no problem - that's what I do.  One suggestion is to make sure that the path for files is EXACTLY the same between the two computers.  The way I do that is to have a mapped network drive of L: as the LOR root file location.  That applies either with a stand alone computer (such as my old desktop at work and my laptop where L: is really c:\Light-O-Rama on that computer), or a networked computer (such as this desktop where I do most of my sequencing, my server (which runs the show during non-Christmas times), and the dedicated show computer where L:\ is really D:\Shared\LOR).  That way there is no need to edit file locations when changing computers.

Personally I have not used Windows 10, but a number of people here on the forum are.  I am using a combination of Windowx XP, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2012 r2.

LOR works fine on Win 10.

There should be no issue with file transfer between the two computers. Similar to what @k6ccc said (but without the network drive) your two computers should have the same LOR main directory, and sub-directories. eg C:\LOR  (which I think is the default when installing LOR ?).

LOR license covers 5 computers, so no issues keeping them both at the same version (highly recommended).

If you don't want to work with network shared drives and such you could use a program like TeamViewer or AnyDesk to transfer required files from one computer to the other. 

This is pretty much how I have my system setup, main computer in study to do all the programming on; small cheaper computer in the garage to run the show. Two computers on the home wifi and I use AnyDesk to transfer the files. Using AnyDesk (or TeamViewer) I can also program stuff (eg make changes to show schedule) on the show computer from the comfort of my study.

Forgot to add; Added bonus, show computer acts as an extra backup to your files :)

Edited by OzAz

And you can use 'Synctoy" from Microsoft to keep the show files current 

(works fine between XP and W10 on a network share)

It's good to hear that LOR software runs well on Win10. I appreciate all of the suggestions made, looks like I have some playing around to do to see what works best for me. Thanks! 

• The topic was locked