Light-O-Rama Forums

dougd    101

Well I installed S5 back on the home computer. Looks like I am going to commit and make the change. Going to start a brand new sequence with it so there wont be any going back for that sequence.

Pros so far.

Much faster than S4 once a sequence is converted.

Can leave undo checked. I haven't been able to use that feature in years.

Preview isn't as good as the visualizer but since it is built in now it is a good trade off for me.

Finally able to use pixel editor effects. never could use them in S4.

Several new feature in SS.

Time will tell how it does with large channel count but preliminary results look like it will do large channel counts much better.

Cons.

Clipboards, but we are being told they will get those in there.

Well that is all I have so far, I am sure there are many more pros, hopefully not many cons.

What has anyone else come up with on the pro and con list?

Anyone else made the commitment to run S5 this year?

k6ccc    499

Cons (so far)  SuperStar support is absolutely dismal.  It is expected to improve, but it has a LONG way to go.

As for 2017, I am 100% committed that I will be running Christmas in S4.  The primary reason at this time is the lack of SuperStar support.  I am hopeful that by next February when I start sequencing for 2018, the SuperStar integration will be useful.

For truth in advertising, I do ALL of my sequencing in SuperStar.  Other than a few little mostly static stuff, have not used Sequence Editor in years.  During the S4 beta two years ago, I dabbled in the then brand new Pixel Editor.  Never really liked it, and could not get it to do anything useful.  Did not touch it for two years.  Now with S5, I'm being forced to use the one part that I don't use and the second part that I could never get to work, and largely can't use the one part that I do use.  So, no, at this point, S5 does not offer me anything.  I did successfully write a test sequence (exclusively using the SE part of S5 - not the PE part) that I used as part of a test of lighting an actual show with the S5 playing and a combination of S4 and S5 sequences.  It did work.  I do have S5 loaded on two computers, and I expect to continue to update those to the new beta releases as they come out and play with it.

htebault    19

I am just starting to test S5.0.6 and believe I agree with Jim's copmments about the UI, I may opt to stay with S4.  I do use Superstar a lot, and right now I am trying to test S5 by inserting my four CCB arches into sequences they were not previously part of. I cannot figure out how to define them, although I can open a S4 sequence where I had defined them last year that work and show all 50 channels for each arch  - but cannot copy/paste, or anything other than Sequence/Channel Configuration/Export that cannot then be "inserted into" another show.

Now, I am assuming that a CCB arch of 50 pixels/150 channels would be displayed with 50 lines  for each arch in this display. Maybe it doesn't and it needs only the one line? My imported CCR tree shows the expected 12 CCR's each with 50 channels below each one.

This seems too much like the pixel editor last year which looked elegant, but never did much for me.

I do like the combined display - and there may be other great things here I have not yet tested/touched - but when I cannot edit/load my show elements it makes everything else a bit moot.

I am going back to review all the S5 presentations again and see if I can spot where I am going wrong.

(Re-read S5 presentations...)

Ok - Props all have to be edited/added using  Tools/Manage Previews/Modify (chosen preview).  Then Create Prop/Create Group, etc. For my 4 CCB Arches, I created them, then Created a GROUP so they could be sync'ed.

Back in the S5 sequence edit line - having the ARCH GROUP defined as a NESTED Group, and SELECTING ROW for that group - gives me the option to then INSERT SUPERSTAR EFFECTS - which opens Superstar showing the 4 nested arches. This may work out after all.... At least I can get to Superstar for inserting morphs, etc.  That is a good thing - thanks.

Edited by htebault

dougd    101

I also do a lot of sequencing in SS. I still do it the way I did with S4. Export out of SS as an LMS file. Import that into S5 just as I did with S4. Now I am able to easily add in Pixel Editor effects unlike with S4 when it was a separate program.

• Thanks 1

k6ccc    499

dougd, how are you going to update your configuration for SuperStar without Visualizer?  Or are you only using SuperStar for a pixel tree and can use CCR mode?

default    55
On 9/2/2017 at 0:07 PM, dougd said:

I also do a lot of sequencing in SS. I still do it the way I did with S4. Export out of SS as an LMS file. Import that into S5 just as I did with S4. Now I am able to easily add in Pixel Editor effects unlike with S4 when it was a separate program.

This is a little late, but Thanks for this post. I had seen something like this earlier but it didn't click until I saw your post. For whatever reason I could not get it to work, after your post I tried again all worked great. Sometimes it takes a little longer for my grey matter to accept input. :wacko:

Alan...

dougd    101
On 9/2/2017 at 3:38 PM, k6ccc said:

dougd, how are you going to update your configuration for SuperStar without Visualizer?  Or are you only using SuperStar for a pixel tree and can use CCR mode?

Well I have thought about that and it will be a big problem for next year. I am assuming that there will be some sort of export from the preview. If not I will have to install S4 somewhere to create my visualizer file for next year. There also appears to be a way to keep the visualizer from S4 when you install S5.