Light-O-Rama Forums

Skewing and different timing grids

roverdish

Lets see if I can explain this correctly.

I have created 5 or 6 different freeform timing grids using John Storms (audacity, excel and notepad) tutorial  (http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/35434-getting-timings-fast-and-easy/#comment-326420which ) which are then used to create my sequences. I also have created multiple tracks in my channel configuration so I can more easily sequence my colors. After creation of the sequence my timing is slightly off.

It seems when skewing my sequence by the proper amount (earlier by 0.15), I must do it on track one (master) within a fixed timing grid. Skewing any other track besides the master only skews the channels within that track. The fixed timing grid is needed because if one of my created freeform timing grids (if present) it is also affected by the skewing. But the other self created freeform grids have not been skewed

Skewing the freeform grid is actually okay as well but.........does anyone know how can I skew ALL of my freeform grids within the sequence editor so the timings are properly there on all of the grids for any future edits to the sequence?

Or is that a stupid question? SNAFU

First of all, and not to bash Mr. Storms, I found his convoluted "fast and easy" timing process to be neither fast nor easy.  Maybe compared to rocket science, but certainly not compared to the Beat Wizard, which takes almost a full second to do the job.  I've used the Beat Wizard exclusively since 2008, along with multiple freeform timing grids based on Beat Wizard variables (beat x 2, beat x 4, etc.) and have never had a case where timing from one track to another varied by more than a centisecond.  (Even that amount bugs the snot out of me but is totally undetectable to the human eye.)  I therefore conclude that John's method using three distinctly different software programs and then dropping the results into yet a fourth distinctly different software is probably responsible for your issues.  (NOTE: Even using the Beat Wizard for the freeform timing grids, there will always be a discrepancy between fixed and freeform grids.)

The Skew Track command does exactly that - it allows you to skew the contents of the track that your cursor currently occupies.  By "contents" I refer to any/all previously sequenced events, and also whichever timing grid is currently loaded into that track.  If you have 9 tracks, you'll likely need to skew each one separately.  If you were to create groups in your second track rather than all those multiple tracks, your sequencing life would be quicker and simpler.  A lot quicker and a lot simpler actually.  

I know of no way within the S2/S3/S4 software to skew multiple tracks or timing grids simultaneously.  Nor have I ever needed to do that, as the Beat Wizard almost always places the first timing mark exactly wherever the song starts.  

Thanks George.

I actually create all my timings within audacity. I think the timing lag is a result of my manual creations. The beat wizard doesn't always work for the various tracks I create.  I may have percussion or drums on one track, guitar on another, lyrics on another and perhaps cymbals or finger snaps on another. I also create another track for what I call SS timings where I designate colors and color change points for my sequences at approximately 5 to 8 seconds apart.

I have seen your work and it looks great. I very much appreciate and respect your input .

Thanks for the kind words.

You definitely get a lot deeper in the weeds than I do when it comes to sequencing.  I work with the beat to give people visual anchors and then I play around with other things in the song as eye candy however the spirit moves me.  As a life-long music moron I wouldn't know what to do with all the song elements you identify.  

But I do know a few things about sequence structure and there's a lot you can do to make your sequencing life easier if you wish to.  Most/all of the musical elements for which you create separate tracks for can be represented in a "channel" in the SE which can be moved around wherever you want it by a single drag and drop with the mouse.  You can create a dedicated timing grid for each musical element and then those grids can be swapped in and out according to what you're sequencing.  If you want to get any farther into any of that let me know and we can get together on it.

Edited by George Simmons