Light-O-Rama Forums

Matrix size?

RedWhitingBlue

Ebuechner & caniac what are you using to drive the p10's ? 

I've had my p10 matrix ( 8 x 4 ) built for 2 years. I'm not happy with the performance so I've never put it out. Slow moving objects & static pictures display fine but anything with speed just causes major lag or it just skips it. I have a beaglebone black driving them & have used xlights & LOR, both with the same results.

8 hours ago, Darryl Lambert said:

Ebuechner & caniac what are you using to drive the p10's ? 

I've had my p10 matrix ( 8 x 4 ) built for 2 years. I'm not happy with the performance so I've never put it out. Slow moving objects & static pictures display fine but anything with speed just causes major lag or it just skips it. I have a beaglebone black driving them & have used xlights & LOR, both with the same results.

I am using a Raspberry Pi with a PiHat Matrix board and running FalconPlayer.  Haven't had the issues you have, videos play fine.

6 hours ago, caniac said:

I am using a Raspberry Pi with a PiHat Matrix board and running FalconPlayer.  Haven't had the issues you have, videos play fine.

Is the sequence file loaded on the pi? I was trying to play the sequence right from xlights on my computer  . I'm beginning to think that it's too much data to push out from the computer. It means that the beaglebone has to receive all that data & then send it to the appropriate p10 panel.

10 minutes ago, Darryl Lambert said:

Is the sequence file loaded on the pi? I was trying to play the sequence right from xlights on my computer  . I'm beginning to think that it's too much data to push out from the computer. It means that the beaglebone has to receive all that data & then send it to the appropriate p10 panel.

you load the sequences (xLights) and audio on the Pi and use FalconPlayer to play OR set FalconPlayer in bridge mode and play from within xLights.  Beaglebone should be able to handle it from a testing sequence standpoint but for your show the sequences need to be on the Pi.

14 minutes ago, caniac said:

you load the sequences (xLights) and audio on the Pi and use FalconPlayer to play OR set FalconPlayer in bridge mode and play from within xLights.  Beaglebone should be able to handle it from a testing sequence standpoint but for your show the sequences need to be on the Pi.

OK, now I'm confused.  But I claim to know very little about P10 panels.  If you load the P10 portion of your show onto the Pi, how does that time sync with the rest of your show?  I thought that if you put the FPP in bridge mode, it was treated no different than any other E1.31 controller.

32 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

OK, now I'm confused.  But I claim to know very little about P10 panels.  If you load the P10 portion of your show onto the Pi, how does that time sync with the rest of your show?  I thought that if you put the FPP in bridge mode, it was treated no different than any other E1.31 controller.

You don't load the P10 portion, you load the whole thing and let the Pi run it (either in standalone or master/slave config), it controls the rest of your elements.  When using in bridge mode then your sequencing pc can control it, if you are working on a sequence and want to see how it will look on the P10 then put it in bridge mode and press play in the sequencer (have done this with xLights but haven't tried it with LOR).

49 minutes ago, caniac said:

You don't load the P10 portion, you load the whole thing and let the Pi run it (either in standalone or master/slave config), it controls the rest of your elements.  When using in bridge mode then your sequencing pc can control it, if you are working on a sequence and want to see how it will look on the P10 then put it in bridge mode and press play in the sequencer (have done this with xLights but haven't tried it with LOR).

Can the Pi control LOR networks?  I didn't think it could.

9 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Can the Pi control LOR networks?  I didn't think it could.

yup, LOR networks support DMX.  Both my AlphaPix16 and my Falcon V2 have a DMX out (supports RS485) so I will use a crossover cable from those controllers to my LOR controllers.  will be hooking up and testing in the next couple of weeks.

Can't use inputs in DMX.  I run a highly interactive show, so use of LOR network is absolutely required.

Based on what you said a couple posts ago, is there a reason that if you can "test" in bridge mode from XLights or LOR, why can't you run the show with the FPP in bridge mode?

you should be able to but you would need your P10 "content" on the Pi for performance reasons.  I am using MP4's and they are huge (50mb) so passing that kind of content from your computer instead of the Pi would cause issues. Haven't tested it yet. 

When you say LOR network are you referring to hardware only or it and software?  

21 minutes ago, caniac said:

When you say LOR network are you referring to hardware only or it and software?  

I am using interactive sequences in my show.  That means that I must be able to poll input devices (InputPup, ServoDog, or some controllers).  That does not function when using a DMX network (particularly DMX that arrived via E1.31).  That means it must be a LOR network over RS-485.  The use of interactives also requires that the Show Player understands how to process and react to an interactive trigger.

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I am using interactive sequences in my show.  That means that I must be able to poll input devices (InputPup, ServoDog, or some controllers).  That does not function when using a DMX network (particularly DMX that arrived via E1.31).  That means it must be a LOR network over RS-485.  The use of interactives also requires that the Show Player understands how to process and react to an interactive trigger.

as much as I would like to I can't answer that one.  I do know both the alphapix and falcon support rs485 but can't answer on the other items.  I plan on running a Raspberry Pi as my Master and then set the P10 to slave mode, from my network switch I will connect my Falcon and AlphaPix then using a crossover cable add my LOR controllers.  If you want I will update you as I setup and test everything.

14 hours ago, k6ccc said:

FWIW, next Halloween the plan is to build a pirate ship in my front yard - a big one.  At that time I will look into Servodogs, et al for my talking skeletons.