Light-O-Rama Forums

Matrix size?

RedWhitingBlue

So I'm planning on adding a matrix to my display this year ( P10 or Pixel net...still undecided). The plan is to mount it on the garage door, which happens to measure 16' x 8'. My question: Is there a standard size matrix which allows for better programming and quality viewing? I can go pretty large being I have the whole garage door area, but not really sure I need to. Thanks in advance for the input!

It seems like the standard is starting to become 24x50 (8'x4') as that is what the new sequences that are coming out are sized at. But a matrix can be any size you want if you program your own.

Originally the matrix was 12x50 or 16x50 where they just took a tree and turned it on its side. Now they are becoming larger for more detail.

Edited by Mr. P
  • Thanks 1

Thank you! I had thought of going with an 4' x 8' because I could visualize a piece of plywood as the screen size. Now I just need to hammer down P 10 panels or pixel  nodes and net for the matrix.  From one Veteran to another Mr. P...Semper Fi!  ?

• Thanks 1

Not this year, but I'm considering P10 (or more likely P20) for a matrix in 2018 or 2019.

22 hours ago, RedWhitingBlue said:

So I'm planning on adding a matrix to my display this year ( P10 or Pixel net...still undecided). The plan is to mount it on the garage door, which happens to measure 16' x 8'. My question: Is there a standard size matrix which allows for better programming and quality viewing? I can go pretty large being I have the whole garage door area, but not really sure I need to. Thanks in advance for the input!

IMO- you cannot beat the 24X50 pixel matrix from HS. I purchased it and then had it framed. It comes rolled up. HD plastic. Comes out to 4' X 9' if I recall.

~Semper Fi is for us old MArines, I did 12 USMC and 14 Army so ~Semper Fi but Mr. P  is a great guy as a fellow soldier.

However according to some person here we are not allowed (he is sick and tired of reading about our pride to serve) to discuss our military pride.

JR

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:37 PM, RedWhitingBlue said:

I have a 4x8 pixel panel with 2 inch spacing and while text looks great I could not get the graphics to look good. This year I have p-10 panels and everything looks great.

The cost is more and it's a different software to setup. I'm not sure if LOR can handle the high channel count without lag. I have asked this forum but haven't had a reply yet. if it can't, I will have to use xlights to run my show.

I had to look up what P10's were.  I just built my first pixel matrix last year using HolidayCoro's setup.

The P10 displays look promising.  Is there any support / companies around them, or is it DIY from the ground up.

I can see in the near future folks putting water proof LCD TVs outside for their "matrix" display.

Jeff

32 minutes ago, John (oldandslow) said:

I have a 4x8 pixel panel with 2 inch spacing and while text looks great I could not get the graphics to look good. This year I have p-10 panels and everything looks great.

The cost is more and it's a different software to setup. I'm not sure if LOR can handle the high channel count without lag. I have asked this forum but haven't had a reply yet. if it can't, I will have to use xlights to run my show.

Ask Chet ( caniac ) here. He has been playing with the p10's for a little bit now.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:37 PM, RedWhitingBlue said:

Whitebuck is also military and has a nice matrix setup. He and I have spoken on the phone as well as I and probably 1/2 of the forum members. JK but it seems that way and most are very pleasant and courteous to speak with. There is always that 1 though.  Its nice to get out and meet the members here, pit a face with a name. 

JR

• Like 1

I would go P10 panels if I knew I could get them to run with LOR, but I'm still kinda new to all this and might just go with a pixel matrix. 

3 minutes ago, RedWhitingBlue said:

I would go P10 panels if I knew I could get them to run with LOR, but I'm still kinda new to all this and might just go with a pixel matrix. 

Caniac may be the person to ask. I am looking at my texts now to see what controllers he is using

Sorry I don't have that info. I bet if you PM him he will reply. He is a great guy. 

Edited by dibblejr
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like @Caniac should give a presentation on what he has done with P10s :)

I'm curious.

Jeff

As I understand it if you put your Falcon Player in Bridge mode it works with LOR, so far I love the resolution.  Setting it up in xLights is easy peesy but have yet to config and test in LOR.

How many panels in the video? I have a 5'x5' bay window on the front of the house I wouldn't mind covering with something like that.

17 hours ago, christmascrossing said:

Sounds like @Caniac should give a presentation on what he has done with P10s :)

I'm curious.

Jeff

How's that for service? 

JR