Light-O-Rama Forums

CAT5 cable runs

ebrown1972

Hello everyone. I have a portion of my yard that I would like to place a few props in and my tune to sign. In order to get to this part of my yard I will need to contend with my driveway. It's possible I could run the cat5 cable from the top corner of my house over to a tree that sits in this area. I will need to run an extension cord to this area also. If I decide to run the cables on the ground and the driveway what are my options as far as wrapping them in something so they do not get torn up from vehicles driving over the cables? How do most of you contend with this? Or is it just best to run the cables from the house to the tree? Thanks in advance.

Eric

I run my cat -5 cable over my driveway from hook on house to a hook on a tree I think better to go up and over than drive over the cable 

There are gobs of cable protectors so you can drive over them.  Do a Google search for "driveway cable protectors" and you'll find plenty.

As far as running between your house and a tree, that is not a major problem unless it's a very long span.  Standard cat-5 is not designed mechanically to support itself for a long span.  You can buy exterior Cat-5 cable that has a built in messenger (that's a steel cable that provides the mechanical support), but it's pretty expensive.  A less expensive option is to run a steel cable and use that to support the Cat-5 with some sort of hanger (maybe as simple as ty-wraps).  Several other ways to do that that include the ability to slide the cable along the messenger.  The other thing to consider is that trees move.  Unless you are tying to a point in the tree that does not move in the wind, you either need to leave a bunch of slack in the cable (and messenger if used), or have something that will take up the slack.  A common method that ham radio operators use is to put a pulley at one end of the cable with or messenger and hang a weight on the end.  For example, have the cable hard attached to one attachment point, and at the other have the messenger go over a pulley with a 10 pound weight hanging on the end.  Note that the pulley can be on either end of the span, and that depending on the span, you may need more or less weight.

One more thing, it is preferable to NOT run the power and LOR network cables together to avoid any interference issues. 

If you buy the outdoor cable mentioned above and use some PT 2X4's to cross your driveway Id also run the cable through  pvc non metal conduit.. If your driveway is narrow you can trench under it using a water hose. I built mine nozzle out of pvc pipe and a cheap end that is the pointed type. It is messy and if lucky there will not be a lot of garbage back fill. You are only making a small diameter hole so it shouldnt interfere with the driveway. I learned this while doing irrigation on the side. Now to speen things up I use a pressure washer but this is a more messy way from the back splash. You can rent a core drill which also uses water to go under a driveway/ sidewalk but if you have time my method works great.

JR

Thanks for all of the ideas. I am thinking about possibly using paracord from the house to the tree and attaching the cat5 cable to it. Thanks again

1 hour ago, ebrown1972 said:

Thanks for all of the ideas. I am thinking about possibly using paracord from the house to the tree and attaching the cat5 cable to it. Thanks again

Using paracord would work for this type of temporary application.  Here are a couple suggestions for attaching the cat-5 to the messenger cable.

First semi-permanant:

Zip ties.

Spiral the cat-5 around the messenger.

Very small hose clamps.

Now some methods that allow the cable to slide along the messenger (allows you to install the messenger and then slide the cable along the messenger - such as when it's too high to reach):

Make a loop an inch or two in diameter around the messenger (small rope, ty-wrap, etc), then zip tie that to the cat-5.  Note that unless the loop is openable (knot in a rope for example)  this method will leave the cable still attached to the messenger even after you pull it back after the season unless you also remove the messenger.  You also have to run messenger through the loops BEFORE installing the messenger.

Zip tie small carabiners (also spelled caribeeners) to the cat-5.  Hook the carabiners over the messenger after it is installed.

Get small pulleys that allow removing the side plate so you can insert it onto an existing messenger, and attach those to the cat-5.  This method is likely the best as it allows installing and removing the cat-5 without removing the messenger, and it will be a much easier pull, but it would cost more.

10 hours ago, ebrown1972 said:

Hello everyone. I have a portion of my yard that I would like to place a few props in and my tune to sign. In order to get to this part of my yard I will need to contend with my driveway. It's possible I could run the cat5 cable from the top corner of my house over to a tree that sits in this area. I will need to run an extension cord to this area also. If I decide to run the cables on the ground and the driveway what are my options as far as wrapping them in something so they do not get torn up from vehicles driving over the cables? How do most of you contend with this? Or is it just best to run the cables from the house to the tree? Thanks in advance.

Eric

Cup hook attached to facia board of garage over the driveway. Then down to ground. Then over to base of tree to controllers.  Use stakes about every 3 ft to keep flush and not a trip hazard.

Lights belong in trees. Not cat5 cables. 

21 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Cue Orange Extension Cord Post in 3.........2...........1

Well orange does flow current better! LOL Or was it green or brown, I cant recall.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Not to get off subject, but if you run over head, you can make that part of your show by hanging some lights off of the rope. Folks will just think it is part of your decorations.

Now back to the topic at hand....

7 hours ago, jerry72 said:

....if you run over head, you can make that part of your show by hanging some lights off of the rope.....

Very good point. I have a sidewalk arch I've used in the past. Multipurpose. Besides chasing lights like an arch (a Mega Arch if you will), I ran a cat5 cable through the middle to get comms to other side. 

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:35 PM, jerry72 said:

Think Geek has some

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/wec.shtml

If you are looking to use power on that side each year, you may want to consider adding an outlet on that side of the house, if you don't already have one.  Luckily I have access to my attic so I installed a few outlets in the eaves one on each corner and one in the middle of the long side of my house.  I ran some Cat5e through the attic from one side of the house to the other and left them in the eave where I could get at them to connect to my controllers.  I have to add an additional one this year for some pixel controllers. 

You could always run the cable in one side of the garage door, up and over the door on some hooks on the inside and back out on the other side of the door.  I had to do that with a power cord a couple years ago.  The next spring I added an outlet in the flower bed permanently.