Light-O-Rama Forums

Sync Toy Problem

bdwillie

Looking for advice.  I have sync toy set up to pair the LOR folder between my laptop, office computer (where 80% of sequencing happens) Show computer out in the yard shed, and our server which is just a storage hub, not running LOR.  I am having problems with sync toy deleting files it isn't supposed to, or overwriting newer files with older files and just all such strange stuff.  Luckily I had been putting the finished sequences on a portable hard drive too so I haven't lost my work.... yet.....  lol..

Looking for a sync toy alternative that isn't cloud based, that can keep all the folders updated with the same info. 

Any help or suggestion is appreciated!!

Synctoy and programs like it become difficult to manage with more than two devices and it is not hard to get stuff crossed up.Using Echo instead of sync might help. Sync will synchronize deletes from either end and can be dangerous.

Have you considered putting all your lor data on the server, shareing and mapping the root folder to a drive letter so all your machines can see and access it.

19 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Have you considered putting all your lor data on the server, shareing and mapping the root folder to a drive letter so all your machines can see and access it.

This was going to be my last resort type step, server is old but trusty so far.  But I fear this might be the best "easy" alternative.  My biggest snag for doing this is I frequently take the laptop on the road, and I can't access the server while away.  I do not have it set up for external access for various reasons!  Getting it to the show computer would be an easy drag and drop then,  don't sequence with that one at all.  run the show only!  Will google Echo and see what that will do. 

Thanks for the input Phil!

Just to clarify, echo is an alternate setting to sync, in Synctoy.

Echo just works in one direction so to speak, and avoids inadvertant deletions.

• Thanks 1

• The topic was locked