Light-O-Rama Forums
lightingnewb

Smart RGB -- Advice Needed

Mr. P    303

Heed the warning. You have some experienced pixeliers (just made that word up :)) in here. If you still insist on the Alphapix then at least get the 3 year warranty.

Ebuechner    182
11 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

If you are looking at E1.31 controllers, I have nothing but good things to say about the SanDevices E6804 and E682

http://sandevices.com/

They "were" a good controller and still a good work horse but they haven't kept up with the times to take advantage of the faster refresh rates that the 2811 can handle. Plus I find their setup page a little clumsy and difficult. But they're still a good Workhorse controller once you figure out the way they do things and I would take one over a holiday Coro controller everyday of the week but it's not what I would prefer. 

k6ccc    500
2 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

they haven't kept up with the times to take advantage of the faster refresh rates that the 2811 can handle.

You have old data.  The version 5.something or another adds that.  Version 5 also improves the setup quite a bit.

For truth in advertising, I use two E6804s every day in my landscape lighting, and add one E682 for Halloween and two more E682s for Christmas.  One more planned for this year or more likely next, and when I expand my pixel tree, one more.

ebrown1972    22

I am a huge fan of the falcon controllers. I have 5 of them with 4 expansion boards. Super easy to set up and run. I do not own any lor pixel controllers but I can imagine they are as great as the rest of their hardware. Falcon has great support and so does lor. I really don't think you can go wrong with either. I only hear of good about the sandevices too. I have had no issues with holiday coro but several have. Good luck with whoever you go with!

lightingnewb    30

I'm hearing a lot of things between the Alphapix and the Falcon, but nothing much on the Pixcon 16...

I'm thinking about the Pixcon 16 with some ribbon from HC (here), since it sounds like this is the most likely way to expand.

What do people tend to use to sequence with these?

Mr. P    303

The Pixcon is your best bet if you want to daisey chain it in with the rest of your other controllers. The added benefit is that it will also do E1.31.

• Like 1

lightingnewb    30

Update:

With the Summer Sale going, I want to go with the Pixcon 16. What I need to know is:

1. Where do I buy an enclosure specifically for this?
  2. What software is being used to program the pixels?
  3. Any advice on where to buy lights? Extension cords?