Light-O-Rama Forums

Yoke Patterns

zman

Anyone out there have some yoke head movement patterns? I know that there has to be a relationship between pan and tilt to get a figure 8, infinity sigh, oval, swiggle, etc....

I will be looking into this more tomorrow, just figured if someone had somthing to share,................. Thanks for the consideration.

Mark

I have been following your questions about DMX with interest (my yolk is supposed to be delivered by the brown truck today). I am wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew with DMX now. I know absolutely nothing about it other than what I have read. With all the things you have brought up and the solutions you have worked out, I am wondering if everything willl change when the iDMX goes from 256 channels to 512. Will you have to recalculate all your movements and timings for next year, assuming the 512 channel capability has been implemented by then?

Denny,

DMX is not tough once you get the concepts. Knowing LOR give us a leg up because we understand intensity and ramp which are big in DMX.

When LOR does go from 256 to 512, there is only 3 things that will be affected, all positive. 512 represents the DMX channels supported. These channels directly correlate to channels in LOR. So in that respect, there is no relationship to ramp or intensity device channel value. The DMX512 standard is based on an 8bit signal. So you will always have device channel VALUES from 0 - 255. All the work you put into your sequencing today will not need to be changed in the future, 0-255 or the value on your device channel (tilt, pan, color) stays the same.

You will be able to put more loads (Light Fixtures) into your DMX Universe, when they go to 512. Today that limit is 16 because of the reduced capability. 16 goes to 32. So this limit today is because those 16 lights can have UP TO 16 device channels. 16x16=256. DMX allows devices to be slaved. so you can actually have more lights than 16, just not more than 16 light IDs. Knowing us all, it is easily possible to blow over the 16 different types of fixtures, but you will be hard pressed to do so. In 2008, I may have a Max of 5 light types. 2 sets of Colorwashes (12 total lights), 1 Strobe (3 strobe lights), and I have 2 yokes. I am not sure if they will be slaved or different IDs. Simple, even if you toss a bubble, fog, mirror ball etc,.... 16 is a LOT of different types of lights. I would think that the AVERAGE display won't even blow over the 16 limit today.

Lastly the upgrade will allow from 32 to 64 Intelligent Channels. Intelligent channels from what I gather sit dormant in a queue until needed. Ramps/twinkle/shimmer require DMX to float an intelligent channel to that effect when it is being executed. When it is done with the effect, DMX releases the Intelligent channel. When the upgrade occurs, we will have 64 of these to leverage. I can see this being the most key item in the upgrade. IMHO.

I guess that was maybe more answer than you expected, but hopefully you found it helpful.

Mark

Ive been trying to figure out an easy way to do any kind of curved motion. So far the only way I found is to "plot" multiple points at .05 or .10 intervals to make the motions I want. The linear fades arent really any help. What would be nice is if S2 had a fade/curve function that could be adjusted for the kind of curve you want, i.e. logarithmic, inverse, exponential and so on and so forth. Then making a figure 8 or other curved motion would be really easy, and be smoother over a longer time period.

kpg wrote:

Ive been trying to figure out an easy way to do any kind of curved motion. So far the only way I found is to "plot" multiple points at .05 or .10 intervals to make the motions I want. The linear fades arent really any help. What would be nice is if S2 had a fade/curve function that could be adjusted for the kind of curve you want, i.e. logarithmic, inverse, exponential and so on and so forth. Then making a figure 8 or other curved motion would be really easy, and be smoother over a longer time period.

You know, we really need to make that a formal feature request. It would be nice to have several dmx 'wizards'. Should be able to select the channels for pan and tilt then select the cells representing the number of beats then tell the wizard to inset a figure 8, circle, etc.

bhays wrote:

kpg wrote:

You know, we really need to make that a formal feature request. It would be nice to have several dmx 'wizards'. Should be able to select the channels for pan and tilt then select the cells representing the number of beats then tell the wizard to inset a figure 8, circle, etc.

I think there might be too many variables to have a wizard insert a pattern. For example, how long of a figure 8 or large of a circle? I wonder if any of the laser show programs could be adapted or modified. Those programs aren't cheap either though.

Denny wrote:

bhays wrote:
kpg wrote:

I think there might be too many variables to have a wizard insert a pattern. For example, how long of a figure 8 or large of a circle? I wonder if any of the laser show programs could be adapted or modified. Those programs aren't cheap either though.

For each shape you could put in coordinates (pan, tilt) for the top, bottom, left, and right borders. I am suspicious that if we can't program these shapes (well) now, a LOR wizard won't be much better. I understand a wizard could input more precise DMX commands, but I'm wondering if we're already pushing the limits of our fixtures.

• The topic was locked