Light-O-Rama Forums

Google Drive vs Dropbox

caniac

Thinking of creating a Google drive account, currently have a dropbox.  Anyone used Google drive?  thoughts?

I've used Google Drive for years.  I also have a Dropbox account, but don't use it much - only reason I created the account was that The Demented Elf delivered files to me via Dropbox.

I find Google Drive to be very easy to use, and it is very easy to share individual files or folders with others (with various levels of access).  It does not (at least that I have found) any way to have a folder on Google Drive appear as a drive letter on your PC.  However I consider that to be an advantage because if a cloud based drive can appear as a drive letter on your PC, then a virus or ransomware can also access it.  Therefore, I have never looked for that capability.  Being web based, it can be accessed by any computer type and any browser.  I also access Google Drive with my android on an app (or via a web browser).

I use it for backing up all my LOR files in addition to my websites, Mail server, and an assortment of other stuff.  I also use it to move files between computers when I can't use a USB thumb drive.  For example, if I were to need to access a file on a computer at work while I am at home (or the other way around), I can remote into the other location computer and copy the file to Google Drive, and then from my local computer I can access that file from a web browser.  To move files to Google Drive, open up the desired folder on G.D. in your favorite web browser, and Windows explorer with the folder that you to move files from.  Drag the files from Windows Explorer to the web page and it moves them.  You can move individual files, multiple files, whole directories, or multiple directories at the same time.  To download, highlight the file you want to download, and select download.  It will download just like any download that you do with your browser.  If you select multiple files, it will zip them and download the zip.

You can create a number of document types natively within Google Drive.  For example, you can upload or create a spreadsheet that can be manipulated very similar to Excel.  The really cool part of that is that if you share the document, multiple people can be editing it at the same time.  You will be able to see what the other person is doing in almost real time.  You could also share it as read only, so other people can see what you're doing, but they can only see the file, but not edit it.

do you use the free 15gb or pay for the higher amount of storage?  My planned usage is for sequence sharing and in addition to sequences there might be mp3, mp4, and avi files.

I'm just using the free 15GB (and currently at about 5GB used).  The audio files for my LOR stuff is backed up there, but there aren't any video files which of course eat up storage fast rather fast.

Of course if you run out of space you can create another free account and get another 15GB (although moving between the two is not quite as convenient.

BTW, Google drive does offer Two Factor Authentication if you want to use that.

3 minutes ago, caniac said:

what is two factor authentication?

Two Factor Authentication is a way to improve security for mostly on-line systems.  There are a number of ways of implementing TFA (also commonly spelled as 2FA).  One of the most common is after you log on, the system that you are logging into will send you a text or call a pre-arranged phone number.  The text or phone call will give you a string of letters or numbers and you must enter them onto the on-line system.  If you don't enter the correct string, you are not allowed to access the system.  There are also both hardware and software based systems that generate a string at some time interval (typically 30 to 60 seconds), that is used in place of a text or phone call.  For example, a system that I use uses a hardware token that generates a new six digit string every minute.  When I log into that system, my password is a combination of a "normal" password and the current string from the token.  TFA is becoming more common, but interestingly enough, of all the systems that SHOULD use TFA, most major banks refuse to support TFA.  That is SLOWLY changing.

Want more - see:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-factor_authentication

We use Google drive.  My husband and I each have our own free 15 GB (mine's full) with our individual email accounts, but we also pay $10 a month for 1TB of storage under a shared family email account we set up.  Well worth it as we have a LOT stored on there and haven't even cracked the surface of availability there.

We also use their two-factor authentication, which is a nice safety measure.

Edited by Jaynee

I use Dropbox, but I assume they will be very comparable in this case. It's great editing a sequence on one computer and letting the service magically update the show computer.