Light-O-Rama Forums

SS gone from 4.3.20

caniac

Confirmed.

On this XP computer I had uninstalled 4.3.18 (have to for some reason on every upgrade), and sure enough, SS is gone.  On the Server, I just did an install over the existing 4.3.18, and the pre-existing desktop icon for SuperStar brings up SuperStar, but it's 4.3.18 instead of 4.3.20.

Oh glad I didn't install that version, I'm actually currently uninstalling S5 to go back to the useful version of LOR I'll just put 4.3.18 back in until 4.3.20 gets fixed. 

47 minutes ago, caniac said:

just downloaded and installed and superstar sequencer is gone.

Caniac, thank you for this report.

Can you tell me what version of Windows you are using?

Also, did you install 4.3.20 on top of 4.3.18, or did you uninstall 4.3.18 first? (Or did you have a different upgrade path?)

Thanks,

Tor

tor, see my message #3 in the thread.  I'll add that the server is running Windows Server 2012 R2.

39 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Confirmed.

On this XP computer I had uninstalled 4.3.18 (have to for some reason on every upgrade), and sure enough, SS is gone.  On the Server, I just did an install over the existing 4.3.18, and the pre-existing desktop icon for SuperStar brings up SuperStar, but it's 4.3.18 instead of 4.3.20.

Jim, thanks for the report.

I'd like to make sure I understand. Correct me if I have misunderstood:

1) On an XP computer, you uninstalled 4.3.18 and then installed 4.3.20. There was no SS after the re-install.

2) On a different computer, you installed 4.3.20 on top of 4.3.18. On this machine, there was an SS, but it identified itself as 4.3.18.

Is all of that correct?

The fact that SS identifies as 4.3.18 after the upgrade to 4.3.20 is expected. (We had to substitute version 4.3.18 of SS in this release.) But (1) sounds like a problem.

4 minutes ago, tor said:

1) On an XP computer, you uninstalled 4.3.18 and then installed 4.3.20. There was no SS after the re-install.

That was correct, but it gets better.  I was basing that report on the fact that SuperStar was not in the start menu.  I looked into the C:\Program Files\Light-O-Rama directory, and sure enough, there is SSEdit.exe with a date showing 7/26/2017 16:05.  When I double click on it, it does start SuperStar and it reports the version as 4.3.18.  So it would appear that the only issue is that SuperStar is not showing in the start menu.  Just as an FYI, for whatever reason, for years, I have to do an uninstall and reinstall whenever I do any upgrade on this computer only.  To be sure, after the control panel based uninstall, I had erased any remaining files in the C:\Program Files\Light-O-Rama directory.  This is a Dell Optiplex 755 with a single E6550 CPU running at 2.33GHz with 1GB of RAM and Windows XP Pro with Service pack 3.

11 minutes ago, tor said:

2) On a different computer, you installed 4.3.20 on top of 4.3.18. On this machine, there was an SS, but it identified itself as 4.3.18.

That is correct.  The second computer is a Dell R710 server with dual Xeon L5520 processors running at 2.27GHz with 48GB of RAM running Windows Server 2012 R2 standard.  The SSEdit.exe file with the same date as listed above is present in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Light-O-Rama directory.  As Server 2012 does not have a traditional "Start menu", I can't compare that with the XP computer.  However my previously existing desktop icon for SuperStar worked as expected except that SuperStar showed as version 4.3.18 (as you said was expected).

Based on what I am seeing, it would appear that the only real issue is that SuperStar is missing from the start menu on the XP computer.

Just now, k6ccc said:

Based on what I am seeing, it would appear that the only real issue is that SuperStar is missing from the start menu on the XP computer.

Ah, that clarifies things!

Thank you for this very detailed report!

Just now, tor said:

Thank you for this very detailed report!

You're welcome.  I have a bit of a history of giving very details posts on this forum (and some other places as well).  The only thing I didn't do was include a bunch of screen captures :)

And BTW, welcome aboard (I just read Mike's intro of you).  Although replacing Bob may be tough shoes to fill.

1 hour ago, tor said:

Caniac, thank you for this report.

Can you tell me what version of Windows you are using?

Also, did you install 4.3.20 on top of 4.3.18, or did you uninstall 4.3.18 first? (Or did you have a different upgrade path?)

Thanks,

Tor

Windows 10, installed 4.3.20 over top of 18 (have always done it that way).

14 minutes ago, caniac said:

Windows 10, installed 4.3.20 over top of 18 (have always done it that way).

Thanks, Ceniac.

I'd like to make sure your problem is the same as Jim's, who point out that only the Start Menu shortcut is missing. (And I can confirm myself, now.)

Can you start SuperStar from the LOR Control Panel? Alternatively, can you check to see if SSEdit.exe is in your LOR Program files directory (probably c:\Program Files (x86)\Light-O-Rama)?

Thanks for your help on this.

They pulled it and the announcement about it within minutes of the problem report.

25 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

They pulled it and the announcement about it within minutes of the problem report.

Am I that powerful??? :)

36 minutes ago, caniac said:

Am I that powerful??? :)

Apparently you are!