Light-O-Rama Forums

Do the Intensity Data files created in Superstar work in S5 Beta. Have tried them but could not get them to work.

• Like 1

They should work when configured as a subsequence. If you have a prop in your preview that matches the channels in your subsequence, then the prop should light up during playback. If you run into issues, please let us know.

Matt

OK, I'm officially confused.  How would you make an intensity file into a subsequence?  And don't you NOT want the same channels in an intensity file as exists elsewhere as it would result in conflicting commands?

This is absolutely ridiculous.  A file format that was just introduced a year ago, is suddenly not playable in SE?   All the work put into creating these intensity files,  and you want to abandon the format in the very next release?  It shouldn't be this complicated.  These programs should all work together seamlessly,   and one should not have to jump through hoops to get the files from a year ago to play nice with the new version.    Am I over-reacting?  Missing something?  If I am understanding this correctly.... saving  as intensity file is being done away with, and any from S4  do not play well with S5?

Edited by Dcroc

7 hours ago, Dcroc said:

All the work put into creating these intensity files

All of your work went into creating:

• LMS/LAS sequence files when saving in the Sequence Editor
  • LPE files when saving in the Pixel Editor
  • SUP files when saving in SuperStar
  • LOREDIT files when saving in the new S5 Sequencer

Intensity data files are a byproduct of your work. The intensity data format is not published and not used by any other software vendor. It is used internally by LOR programs to pass information from one program to another. It should not matter to you what LOR does behind the scenes as long as you can easily create sequences and the lights reliably come on. But as a point of interest, S4 and S5 both use intensity data files to pass data around and the format in both versions is the same.

If you have lost your source files and only have the resulting intensity data file, we have a utility that can turn the intensity data into AVI movie files. The AVI movie files can then be put into a Pixel Editor or S5 Sequencer Movie effect. This will allow you to continue sequencing and the lights will come on according to what was stored in the intensity data file at the time it was created.

Matt

Maybe I misunderstood something.  Can I open, and fully run a sequence in S5 that I used last year in S4 that contains intensity files, as well as regular LOR, and DMX channels, without having to change the file?  I am gathering that I can not.  However, from what you are saying, I am wrong?

As far as I understand it, yes.  However as noted in a different thread, my planned test was delayed until this weekend due to a laptop power supply failure.  I will be testing this weekend (and if it works, running my landscape show for at least one evening via S5).  The test show will have three sequences.  One will be created in S4 without intensity files, the second will be created in S4 with intensity files, and the third will be created in S5 with intensity files.  My current guess is that the test will happen Sunday evening.  I will post the results after the test.

On the edge of my seat.....

Love playing with new software, but WAY too far behind this year to risk ANY set back of any degree.

As I've already said several times, I am using S4 for 2017.  OK a major part of that is that for all practical purposes, I'm already completed sequencing for 2017.  My weekend got re-arranged a couple ways for me, but I DO expect to run my test.

Dcroc

I can't comment on superstar or dmx but I have many thousands of RGB Channels and 64 plus "regular" lor channels. I have been running the beta ver 5 and PE since the day it came out. I did not run into any significant problems. My old sequences migrated over without any problems. The only thing I have had to do is to get used to the new features. As I become more familiar with them,  I am finding it easier to do things than previous versions. You do have to rethink things. Both views and previews are perfect for my display.

For beta software I have been pleasantly surprised how few issues I have had..

Just my opinion

Steve, 

1st, are you controlling a show with S5, or just watching simulations?

2nd, do you have prior Pixel Editor experience?

3rd, do you use SuperStar?

I don't have my complete display set up yet which consists of about 10K Lights on the 64 regular channels and about 6500 rgb channels.

I currently AM  controlling 1 of my 3 pixel trees and a 32 by 25 pixel matrix live via an enhanced 500K LOR network. The rest I am watching via simulations. I have a total of 68 props currently in use.

Yes I started using PE last year. For my display it does the job. I have looked at superstar but it is overkill at the moment for what I do.

OK, the S5 test is in progress.  Details in this thread:

I could not get Superstar intensity files to work in the Sequencer but did find out that they would work if I just do a show.......... 

28 minutes ago, Rod Pauley said:

I could not get Superstar intensity files to work in the Sequencer but did find out that they would work if I just do a show.......... 

I'm not sure what you are expecting of an intensity file in Sequencer.  You can't see the data nor modify it in the S5 Sequencer.  In S4, you could at least tell that it's there, and what channels were involved, but in S5 Sequencer, you can't even see that much..

21 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I'm not sure what you are expecting of an intensity file in Sequencer.  You can't see the data nor modify it in the S5 Sequencer.  In S4, you could at least tell that it's there, and what channels were involved, but in S5 Sequencer, you can't even see that much

The S5 Sequencer does not show you if an an intensity file exists because intensity files cannot be associated with an S5 sequence. They can be associated with an S5 subsequence, and they are frequently associated with the playback files that the Sequencer generates (assuming you are running the Pro level).

Matt

So,  can I run my files from last year in S5 if they contain intensity files, without modding, or chaning the files in any way?   Can I get a straight "yes", or "no" answer, Matt?  

Edited by Dcroc

Dcroc, read the post that I linked a couple posts ago.  Yes, I ran my show successfully.  For details, read my other post!

Did that.  Just wondering why I can't get a "yes" or "no" from Matt?   

Edited by Dcroc