Light-O-Rama Forums
tonyski

Old Dog...New Trick.... Use a Virtual Machine to run S5 Beta

tonyski    12

OK Folks. This is definitely in my Top 5 Computer Things Ever!

I was discussing the fact that you could not have S4 and S5 installed on the same machine with my IT Guru Son-in-Law. He quite flippantly said "Why don't you just run it on a virtual machine?"

Being only familiar with the term and concept, we discussed it I gave it a shot! IT WORKED!

I used Oracle's VM VirtualBox

https://www.virtualbox.org/

this extension pack

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.1.24/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.1.24-117012.vbox-extpack

and followed this tutorial for installation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XFa_2cKzuk

Then I downloaded S4 and S5, Installed S4, transferred my existing files to the VM, got S4 working, and then installed the S5 Beta. As far as I can tell, it all works great. There will no doubt be some growing pains with this and I probably won't be able to help anyone with this, but I'm sure we have some members who think this is child's play and can really provide some insight.

There is no warranty here! Try at your own risk. But quite frankly, I don't see any risk at all.

Good luck and post your experiences

Tony

• Like 1

k6ccc    484

That's a cool idea.  Although physically the same hardware, the VMs appear to be completely separate.  I just recently set my server up for Virtual Machines, but have not yet loaded any VMs onto it.  This may be a very good excuse for that...

dougd    100

I already tried using vmware with it. It ran so slow. It might have been me, not familiar with the tweaks I could have done.

tonyski    12

FWIW, when starting S5 on a Win10Pro Guest in VirtualBox I got an error saying that I had OpenGl 1.1 and needed 1.5. It took a while to sort out, but by using this registry hack (zip file from entalpia2 )and enabling 2D and 3D acceleration in the display settings on the guest VM I got things to work correctly

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52324&p=362453&hilit=opengl#p362453

tonyski    12

Well it turns out that Virtualbox and Hyper-V (Which is built into Win10Pro) are both problematic due to the OpenGl issue, I have had better luck with VMware Workstation 12.5. It is a paid program, but the do offer a 30 day trial.

I have been able to import S4 sequences and visualizer files and play one the computer.

I'll post more as I continue to experiment.

k6ccc    484

Tony,  Have you tried to control actual lights, or just run sequencing?  Of particular interest is how to get the LOR USB adapters to appear on the VM.

I am expecting to do some work on this over this upcoming weekend along with some other stuff on the server.

tonyski    12

Hey Jim,

I have not tried to control lights. I have little concern about that for now. I just wanted to be able to play with S5 without totally committing to it. I will most likely stay with S4 for this season.

k6ccc    484
9 hours ago, tonyski said:

I have not tried to control lights. I have little concern about that for now. I just wanted to be able to play with S5 without totally committing to it.

Fully understand that.

9 hours ago, tonyski said:

I will most likely stay with S4 for this season.

Same here.  Part of that is that I'm largely completed sequencing for 2017 (although that never really stops). 

My purpose at looking at a VM is that until March of this year I have always run my show on a dedicated Windows XP based show computer.  Early this year I started an effort to run my landscaping show on my server for the primary purpose of reducing electricity consumption (both not having to run the show computer, and the added air conditioning load in the data cabinet from the show computer).  For a couple reasons I would like to see if I can run an OS newer than XP on the show computer, but the hardware really won't support Windows 7.  Then I started thinking about running a VM on the server (it's the fastest computer in the house) of Windows 7 as the show computer.  However that means that I will have to get to the USB ports in what appears to be installed on the VM and not the server.

In case you are wondering why not just run the Christmas show natively on the server as I am now for the landscaping show?  Remember that server OSes don't contain all the "user" programs and features that "User" OSes do.  One of the things that I could not get to work last year on the server was ItsMeBob's MIIP.  I really want to use that this year.  That is one of the two major reasons that I want to upgrade from XP as that also won't run on XP either.