Light-O-Rama Forums
tonyski

Install S5 BETA in a different user account

Hey Mike/Matt/Brian

Do you think that you could figure out a way to install S5 in a new windows user account so that it does not remove our existing S4 installations? What I mean is make it accessible from one user account only and not all user accounts.

I have no idea about the complexity of this suggestion, but it sure would be nice to be able to experiment with the BETA without totally removing our current S4 installations

Thanks as always

• Like 1

We will take another look, but it probably won't happen during the Beta.  

Due to the way we have to register some of our DLLs it has not been possible up to this point.  Some of our DLLs have to go in and be registered from Windows\System32 which is global.  I know newer versions of windows have WinSxS (which I admit I have not done any research on at all), but we still have to support all the way back to XP.

So I take it that installation of the Beta overwrites the S4 version?

1 minute ago, whitebuck said:

So I take it that installation of the Beta overwrites the S4 version?

Yes, but it is fairly easy to uninstall S5 and reinstall S4.

I downloaded the beta S5 today.  It confused the hell out of me.  I have both regular controllers and Pixels.  So when I opened up one of my projects the channel layout was different.  Sections of my banner and tree were just thrown anywhere.  Maybe I need more time to look at it.  Already this late in the season it is difficult to switch over software.  I know that it is beta and full of bugs.  Maybe I need a tutorial for it.  but honestly has it confused anyone else?

15 hours ago, Samf said:

I downloaded the beta S5 today.  It confused the hell out of me.  I have both regular controllers and Pixels.  So when I opened up one of my projects the channel layout was different.  Sections of my banner and tree were just thrown anywhere.  Maybe I need more time to look at it.  Already this late in the season it is difficult to switch over software.  I know that it is beta and full of bugs.  Maybe I need a tutorial for it.  but honestly has it confused anyone else?

As of version 5.0.8, the upgrading of sequences should be stable. How did you create create your preview? 

Matt

it wasn't the preview that screwed with me as much as trying to the individual strings and then the pixels all in the same screen.  I have been doing the separately in the different editors and doing pixels in the sequence editor confuses the hell out of me.  I really need a tutorial on how to do it in that screen.  I also need a tutorial on how to do the speaking faces for pixels for speaking parts of my display that I want to add. sorry for the late reply

On 9/26/2017 at 5:53 PM, Samf said:

If you've never used Pixel Editor before, the S5 sequencer will drive you nuts.  In my humble opinion, at this point in time, there is no rational reason to switch to a new major version (beta or not).  Yes, you will need some tutorials.  I've been playing with the various S5 beta versions since the first one came out, but my show for 2017 WILL remain on S4 without question.