Light-O-Rama Forums
DevMike

We are not ignoring you :) [S5 and why you may not get a response]

DevMike    429

FYI, Matt, Brian and Myself are still recovering from Expo and some of us are still traveling - I myself did not get in until 11:30 pm last night, and I flew.  

When you have a large change (and S5 is a large change) a few different and predictable personality types come out.  

• The first reports are usually those from people that just can't handle ANY change, or who are just looking for an excuse to complain about something.  Initial reports are ALWAYS overwhelmingly NEGATIVE, and if we engage with them, these people will continue to rant since they have our ear.  Some may have valid concerns, but they are inflexible and will not work with us.  You can offer these people a free pizza and they would complain that there is not enough pepperoni.  There is not a lot we can do except let them complain.

• Soon after, we get frustrated users.  They give it a try for an hour or two, believe that the old way was better, and give up.  These people have what I like to call 'New Adoption Fear'.  They are scared that what they know won't work anymore, or are overwhelmed by the new change and need others to first blaze the trail.  These people will probably be back after a few releases.  We listen to these folks and try to make adjustments on how we can make the transition better in the future, but we don't tend to say much.  If we do reply we risk turning them into complainers, and will loose them completely.

• About 3 - 4 days in, we see the 'question-ists' group.  These are the ones you would expect us to reply to, but we don't - It is not that we don't want to help you!  We are actually paying very close attention to your questions.  What we want to see how you find the answer.  For example, there IS a way to do what you are asking and we know how to do it.  We want to see how you end up doing it.  With that we can determine if we need to simplify some action, move it someplace different, make changes on how it works, etc.  (Prime example:  Superstar Integration in S5).  What makes sense to us as programmers may not make sense to you, the user.  This is the only way we can find that out.

• At about a week we start to get 'meaty' reports.  These are the people who have sat down with an open mind and really started to get in there and work with the system.  They could also have been question-ists.  These are the people that report bugs - usually BIG ones.  They offer 'constructive criticism', not complaints.  This is the group we need to really sit down with.  You are our most valuable beta testers!

• About two weeks in, some of the complainers will show back up.  They will find it unbelievable that people are actually excited and want to use this new software.  Many are Monday Morning Coders (quarterbacks) They will point back to their complaints, call us an evil company, and complain more.  They will attempt to place doubt into those people who are starting to embrace the new program. They will suggest you use other software, that the company is doing nothing but trying to suck money out of you, etc.  Many times they will post 'facts' which we enjoy debunking.  

• Finally we will get the core people who have given things a fair shake.  They have stuck with us for several weeks now, maybe even through a revision or two.  These are the ones we look to for both bug reports as well as letting us know when we have missed major functionality.  

Now, this is not to say that everyone fits these groups!   Just because you posted something within one of the time frames does not automatically make you that personality.  Everyone is different.  But in general they hold true.

The one thing I will assure you of, we read EVERYTHING - even if we don't reply.

I wanted to be in the "meaty" reports group, digging in, and only reporting true problems, and then realized if I spent my limited time doing that, I wouldn't have time to create my new 2017 show.  Therefore, I will remain in the "I like the idea of S5, combining Pixel Editor and SE, but will have to wait and play with it next year (2018)" group.

Good luck and will be excited to start on S5 in 2018!!!

DevMike    429
38 minutes ago, christmascrossing said:

I wanted to be in the "meaty" reports group, digging in, and only reporting true problems, and then realized if I spent my limited time doing that, I wouldn't have time to create my new 2017 show.  Therefore, I will remain in the "I like the idea of S5, combining Pixel Editor and SE, but will have to wait and play with it next year (2018)" group.

Good luck and will be excited to start on S5 in 2018!!!

That's an OK group too! :)

Mr. P    301

I'm a frustrated user, I am not giving up as I know what I want to do just don't know how to do it anymore. Things that I use to do on a daily basis I can't do anymore because the buttons or commands are gone or have been changed /replaced and I can't find them. Simple things such as channel settings I guess you have to go into prop preview now instead of just clicking on the channel. Also,  the color fade tool for dumb RGB and pixels I still haven't found yet.

I understand that S5 is based on PE and I have watched the PE tutorials but they are more directed towards pixels and the effects generator. What if I just want to add simple colors and fades especially for dumb RGB? The color fade tool is completely gone or at least I can't find it.

It's like learning everything all over again.

• Like 2

stevehoyt    1

I plan on being in the last of the groups..... I just wanted to say I have been using it since the day it got released. I find it to be very solid....no crashes at all.  I am in the midst of redoing my entire display using the new views and new features.

So far very impressed. I  will however keep any items of concern to myself for the next few weeks.

Happy as a clam that one of my PE suggestions made it in.

For any of you wary of trying it, I'd say don't be. 

dibblejr    376

I fit into several of the groups. I will gladly sit by and let others test and then hop on board once things settle down. No negative things to say, I am adult and understand that with change come headaches, I will just read the various 100 email alerts concerning the subject as I receive them.

I look forward to all of those fellow members like Mr P and Jim KC666 to see what they are discovering.

JR

prevue12    3
28 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I'm a frustrated user, I am not giving up as I know what I want to do just don't know how to do it anymore. Things that I use to do on a daily basis I can't do anymore because the buttons or commands are gone or have been changed /replaced and I can't find them. Simple things such as channel settings I guess you have to go into prop preview now instead of just clicking on the channel. Also,  the color fade tool for dumb RGB and pixels I still haven't found yet.

I understand that S5 is based on PE and I have watched the PE tutorials but they are more directed towards pixels and the effects generator. What if I just want to add simple colors and fades especially for dumb RGB? The color fade tool is completely gone or at least I can't find it.

It's like learning everything all over again.

I'm with you, I am still looking for the dumb RGB fade stuff, S5 is great for smart pixels. Looking forward to see how I can program with it, just need to get over this learning curve. 

k6ccc    499
15 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I look forward to all of those fellow members like Mr P and Jim KC666 to see what they are discovering.

Thank you for mentioning me, but it's K6CCC. 

As for S5, I DO expect to continue to play with it this year.  However, my 2017 show is expected to be sequenced and run on S4.  A large part of that however is that I have largely completed my sequencing for 2017.  I have already reported two major bugs in S5 (both of  which are stoppers for me).  I will be playing with the SuperStar integration later today as that is exceedingly important to me (I have done essentially all my sequencing for years in SuperStar).  I am personally disappointed that SuperStar appears to be an afterthought, and has a "gee how can we cram this into Sequencer" feel rather than an integrated part.  The loss of Visualizer and the only partial replacement (Previews) is huge (at least for now).  I am confident that by February when I start working on 2018, S5 will have matured enough to be usable.

• Like 2

dibblejr    376
1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Thank you for mentioning me, but it's K6CCC. 

As for S5, I DO expect to continue to play with it this year.  However, my 2017 show is expected to be sequenced and run on S4.  A large part of that however is that I have largely completed my sequencing for 2017.  I have already reported two major bugs in S5 (both of  which are stoppers for me).  I will be playing with the SuperStar integration later today as that is exceedingly important to me (I have done essentially all my sequencing for years in SuperStar).  I am personally disappointed that SuperStar appears to be an afterthought, and has a "gee how can we cram this into Sequencer" feel rather than an integrated part.  The loss of Visualizer and the only partial replacement (Previews) is huge (at least for now).  I am confident that by February when I start working on 2018, S5 will have matured enough to be usable.

Sorry Jim, fat fingers. You know I do know your UN better than that.

JR

I don't care what category I fit in. 

Even with the change you could've left the clipboards in and even worst yet you could've left the ability for the channel names to light and fade that is a major help for preliminary sequencing. You don't want to be watching the visualizer where everything else is blinking while trying to do programming for one element or channel. I've been using lor since 1.6.9 (or something like that) and I always had the newest version and always used the latest beta since I was a beta tester during s3 beta. Overall S5 looks promising but the channels not lighting up is a deal breaker.