Light-O-Rama Forums

2 types of Set Intensity Levels

Jack

1. Would someone explain the difference between the "CAP" and "%" intensity levels and what they do differently , or how they work? I understand how to set the percentage function on the AC side and it looks good, however when you go to the RGB side of things and trying to set the color White at a value less than 100 is when things get crazy.

2.does one work better in the AC (single color strands" side of things and the other work better in the RGB? The only Docs. I have found show "%" being used in the AC side , so does that mean you use the "Caps" function in the RGB side of things?

Thanks, I am trying to cut down on my do overs, redo's what ever you want to call. Thanks to all,

Jack

Can I assume you are talking about in Sequence Editor where you right click on a segment of time, right click and select Change Intensities?   Assuming that is the case, that is not how you would normally sequence.  The purpose of that is to change the levels of a previously sequenced section.  What that allows you to do is to change whatever segment and channels that you selected by either a percentage, or to apply an upper cap or lower floor to the levels.  For example, you sequenced an entire sequence and then when you got everything setup, you realized that certain channels were simply too bright.  Instead of manually changing every part of those channels, you could select those channels and use change intensity to scale them by 40 percent (for example).  Using cap would set an upper limit.  For example if you set an cap of 80%, then the levels would not change EXCEPT where the previous levels exceeded 80% - and in those locations only the level would be changed to 80%.  Same thing with a Floor except it sets a lower limit.

As for normal sequencing, normally you are going to use the On, Off, Intensity, or Fade commands.  You CAN use those for both single channels and RGB, but with RGB you would have to adjust each primary color individually.  However there is a better way with RGB.  Use the Color Fade tool and you can select whatever colors you want.  BTW, all these commands are in the Toolbar at the top of SE.  The help files will better explain how to use them.

Jack, does this have to do with your previous post about the floods where the white was too bright? If so then you want to "Change Intensity" so you can do all of them at the same time. The CAP, which Jim explained, is the max intensity they will achieve.

Set intensity - you will use this prior to progamming your sequence, set the %.

Change intensity - use this to change an existing intensity as it only affects currently programmed channels and doesn't affect the channels that are off, set the CAP.

If you go in and highlight an entire row and "Set The Intensity" to 50% it will turn on every channel in that row to 50%.

If you highlight an entire row and "Change The Intensity" and cap it at 50% it will only cap the channels that are currently on to 50%.

Edited by Mr. P

Mr. P & Jim,

Thanks for the response,. Yes Mr. P I am still working on the color white issues, I tried to get LOR to help me on this issue but as of yet they have helped on other parts but not this so I wanted to reword it and see if I got a few more reply's. 

Jim, when I have a  10w flood set to white and the next one set to Blue or Red they get washed out a little by the white.

what I have found is in the AC, single color side of things if you set the Intensity to 50% white you would get a half filled cell of white or a smaller simmer etc. HOWEVER in the RGB side of things you get a shade of gray for the solid white and some color of hash for simmer etc.

I just finished going thru and setting the cells to a cap of 75% where ever I had the Color white set.

I now need to set up the 8 floods and run the sequence and see if it's better or if I need to lower the cap a little more.

Mr. P I like your comments above think I'll print them out.

I don't think a Row or column type change would work as each flood changes to  different colors

Live and learn, let me know if you agree or not and Thanks for the help.

Jack

35 minutes ago, Jack said:

I don't think a Row or column type change would work as each flood changes to  different colors

A row will work as long as you don't open the RGB channel to individual Red, Green, and Blue. If you select the RGB row it will cap each of the individual Red, Green, and Blue rows to 50% hence giving you 50% white.

Also, don't go by the color (grayish you stated) that shows up in SE as sometime white will look a little pinkish and sometimes a little grayish. Go by the color that is output by the floods themselves.

Edited by Mr. P

2 minutes ago, Jack said:

what I have found is in the AC, single color side of things if you set the Intensity to 50% white you would get a half filled cell of white or a smaller simmer etc. HOWEVER in the RGB side of things you get a shade of gray for the solid white and some color of hash for simmer etc.

Correct.  If you expand the RGB to show the individual primary colors, you would see the same half filled cell.

3 minutes ago, Jack said:

Setting a cap work work but using the scale function will at least get close.  Yes, even with scale the colors may very well shift, but it should at least be closer.

• The topic was locked