Light-O-Rama Forums

2.0.14 Crashes on Vista

Steven

My neighbor, whose house is part of our display, is not very computer-literate, but he gets by enough to read email. Last year, he used LOR1 on his Vista system to sequence a few songs for our display, and he'd like to do it again with LOR2 this year. I had him install my copy of LOR1 so he could download and install LOR 2.0.14. He kind of messed it up by selecting a weird directory when it was run, but I fixed that by manually running regedit to remove the entry, and selected the LOR directory to be My DocumentsLight-O-Rama.

He can edit a sequence that I created, open an old version 1 sequence, or create a new sequence. Playing a sequence works.

However, when he tries to run the Beat Wizard or select "View" -> "Wave Form" it crashes with the Vista version of "This program unexpectedly quit."

I don't know if this a Vista-specific problem or something else. Any ideas?

Just to be clear, he was running his copy of LOR 1 on a Vista machine with no problem. You install your copy of LOR 1 so he could download LOR 2 then had problems. Was his copy of LOR the full version or demo?

You could back up sequences and media. Remove LOR and use LOR reggwipe, then do a clean install (with properly licensed software :D).

Dan said in another post that a multi-house display is considered a single large "household" for the purposes of licensing. My neighbor's computer will not be connected to any controllers, and is only used for sequencing. Therefore, he used the demo software last year.

Are you saying that a clean install should fix this problem?

I don't know if it will fix the problem. However, since this problem was a result of an installation that already required registry edits, sounds like a great place to start.

I had this same problem. It is new "security" feature with Vista that causes many programs to crash. (Including MS Outlook on my machine.) It is with the DEP. Here is a link to my post:

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum72/16328.html

Just search Vista Help for "Data Execution Prevention" and add all the LOR applications to the exception list. FYI it is:

Control Pannel - System - Advanced System Settings - Settings (under Performance) - Data Execution Prevention

Choose the second radio button (Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.)

Click add, the add all LOR programs.

Hi,

Another customer had a similar-sounding problem, where the Beat Wizard would crash on his machine, even if it worked on other machines using the same audio files. He helped us troubleshoot it, and we were able to get it working on his machine.

So, assuming that this is the same problem, it will be fixed in the next release of S2.

• 1 month later...

ChristmasJim wrote:

I had this same problem. It is new "security" feature with Vista that causes many programs to crash. (Including MS Outlook on my machine.) It is with the DEP.

This fixed my my problem too.The VU wizard was crashing LOR when creating a new sequence.

Thanks Jim.

• 4 months later...