Light-O-Rama Forums

House property with a hill in front

Al Saunders

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I found a house we love while house hunting. It has a nice large front yard good size back yard, the house is awesome just needs a few cosmetic things. She loves the kitchen. The reason for this post is to get some ideas of how to handle a rather large hill right at the front of the yard just off the road. It is high enough that if a car were to sit on the side of the road on the property side the people wouldn't be able to see anything. It can be viewed some across the road and there is a side lane that the cars could pull off on the side and view our show facing forward.

The yard is large enough, I think, to have a few cars be able to pull into the driveway and park off to the left of the driveway. Any advice as to if I should try and have the display elements near the hill and have the cars stay in the road or have them pull into the yard? I had also thought of maybe trying to do something like a ride through display on some type of carts I'd build and pull with either a golf cart or riding mower. The total size of the yard is 1 acre and for me going from a tiny front yard and a property total of .19 acre this is a huge jump in size. So guys and gals, how would you address the hill if you were doing an animated show?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Later,

Al

Huge Mega Trees and arches! 

A picture would help a lot. I have the opposite problem. My home sits on the top of a huge sloped yard.

Of course now you will have to spend more $ to fill that yard.

JR

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

Here's a screen shot of the Google street view. Its a bit deceiving since the camera is on top of the Google car. But when sitting in a car the house is barely visible. I have the lights for a new 22' Mega tree, I have a 16 string pixel tree (DMX) about 9' tall and just bought during the spring grab sale the LOR 16 CCR2 tree package which is about 16' tall. Plus all the other things I had at our previous house.

Thanks for the replies.

Al

Property-smaller.jpg

Don't know that you want to start inviting people to come up into your driveway.  Negatives couldld be the car noise, blocking yhour dirveway, car light shining towards your house. 

Maybe minimize the house decoration, other than for your enjoyment and concentrate on display elements on the hill that can  be seen from the rood. 

Stuff like mage and mini tgrees, arches, wire frame element and such. Assum the hill slopes up from road and then back down to your house.  If so, would give great opportunity to stage and layer display elements up the hill. 

I would make use of the all the property in front and since you say you can't see the house just put a minimal amount of lights on the house .

So many options. You could make an extremely large yard only display. If you have the room you could make a drive-through display. You could do a display just on the edge of the Hill from the power lines forward. This is really going to depend on your comfort level and tolerance. Having to build and make new items for a yard only display expensive, never having to climb on a roof again priceless. 

I am with Ebuechner with the "so many options" way of thinking.

The small props right along the edge and the larger ones going all the way back towards your house.

It may be the picture, but from your first post I got the impression that the hill was so steep or tall that a car could not see the majority of your yard. However the picture makes me think that they can park on the flat under the hill and be able to view.

One thing to keep in mind, having lights to close to parking will not look as good as a little distance. Some may be to bright to park a few feet away. You will want to test whatever you set up ahead of time.

As far as letting people pull in and parking in your driveway, may turn out to be a logistical nightmare and problematic to your display/ yard.

If the hill does block the view you could build props 1/2 way in your yard that will block your house and decorate to that point. Someone here actually covers their home making it look like a castle and he has draons and the whole nine yards. You could do similar in your yard bringing the entire show closer to them.

Best of luck

JR

• Like 1

The road in front of that house looks like a County trunk Highway with double yellow lines. You may want to consider the speed of traffic visibility and the traffic count before you decide you want to stop traffic on that road in the dark. ( Safety First)

And the proximity of the local bar because that always seems to add a level of difficulty after sundown. 

Edited by Ebuechner
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

The road in front of that house looks like a County trunk Highway with double yellow lines. You may want to consider the speed of traffic visibility and the traffic count before you decide you want to stop traffic on that road in the dark. ( Safety First)

And the proximity of the local bar because that always seems to add a level of difficulty after sundown. 

Our posted speed limit is 20 mph, I have radar'd people at 76 mph during shows with cars parked on both sides some idiots still fly down the hill. Luckily all of my local LEO's are my friends and they knock on their doors to preach "safety". 90% of our residents travel above 30 mph

I posted a reminder on our community FB page of the obituary colum of 8 of my family members killed in a similar event. The murderer killed himself in prison while serving his time.

JR

If it's not perfect, you'll never truly be happy. So keep looking. The right house is out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are thinking of moving ourselves. Found a perfect house with a perfect display yard. But it's a stones throw away from Tom's house (Santas Helper). Wouldn't want to seem like competing with him, so we're still looking.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

We are thinking of moving ourselves. Found a perfect house with a perfect display yard. But it's a stones throw away from Tom's house (Santas Helper). Wouldn't want to seem like competing with him, so we're still looking.

You could have told everyone its your mega tree. LOL Better yet, run long SP cables from Toms to that home. (steal his sequence) 

Of course it would have been to bright to get any sleep.

You guys are the best, was great to attend the mini and will be there next year lord willing.

JR

• Like 1

On 6/3/2017 at 10:56 AM, Mega Arch said:

If it's not perfect, you'll never truly be happy. So keep looking. The right house is out there.

I second this. If it were me, I would skip on this house because of the yard. Again, the right house is out there. It just takes time to find it!!

We too are house hunting, and one of the most major things that comes into play when picking a house is the light show. Every thing from how the yard, and house would work for the show, to location, location, location. Gotta make sure we get enough traffic to the house. Thankfully we have found where we want to be. But the house isn't for sale, and it's part of a weird family trust thing. So we are just saving, and waiting. Eventually it will come up for sale!!

So yeah, I got a bit sidetracked with that post... But if I were you, I would keep looking. However, that's just my two cents!! :lol:

So I've seen some of the comments here and want to weigh in on my thoughts:

Initially, I thought about using the hill as an opportunity for "preemptive" signage for viewers, should you consider taking this house. Then, I was thinking about how some have said, "make use!" and thought about how that would be accomplished while also incorporating some signage (at a minimum). This brought on a concept of leaping arches and mini trees.

My main concern is the traffic backing up to the road if it's a "shared" entrance/exit driveway. That could get messy and LEOs would need to be there to ensure safety is preserved. As that would be costly, I recommend continuing the search a bit longer... I'm sure Santa will reveal an early gift soon.

• Like 1

"Imagination" 

It could be that there are not many houses available to the OP.

Anything is workable. 

OP- go with your heart and wallet!

JR

Hi Everyone,

I can't thank you all enough for all of your opinions and inputs! I love the house, the yard and the biggest thing that can't be shared online is the view. My wife loves the house as well and the view but she has more concerns with some of the cosmetic things it needs and the biggest hurdle is the commute. This house is in Manchester, MD and we both work together in Annapolis, MD. For anyone not familiar with MD that is a 1 1/2 hour commute each way. We drove from work one day and it wasn't a bad ride, had traffic on some of the major highways but nothing terrible. Every day after that I hooked up the GPS and got the same drive time within 1 minute. We are thinking of staying a night in a hotel in a nearby town and driving to work in the morning to see the morning commute.

We are going to look at some houses across the Chesapeake Bay from Annapolis on Wednesday evening. These are 36-45 minute commutes. One is on 1 acre the other is just under 2 acres. Both flat lots and the larger one is much wider than the 1 acre and isn't in a community.

To DibbleJr: My heart and wallet are at this Manchester property but my common sense in respect to commuting may be elsewhere. I'm still praying and I know God will guide us in the right direction to find the right house whether it be this Manchester one or one somewhere else.

Later,

Al