Light-O-Rama Forums

4 & 8 Pixie controllers VS what software upgrade to?

Obejohnknobe

I have the Standard S4 Software 4.3.18 with 2 CCR and can access the Pixel Editor.  I have a pixie 4 controller to test my pixels (ran 100 pixels on 1 port (tested each port)) and to run 4 arches I am building.  This past spring sale I purchased 2-Pixie 8 controllers to run pixel lights on my eves and porch posts.  Now, it appears I have a software quandary which will not be able to run the pixels on the 2-pixie 8 cards as well as the pixie 4 card.  Can someone guide me as the ins and outs (pros VS cons) of purchasing an upgrade to pro or just upgrade to CCR X amount.  The confusion is the CCR says 50 pixels per CCR (unless I am interpreting incorrect) and pro is unlimited or am I just not understanding either or?  Thank you for all of your kind help in advance!

Each Pixie8 controller will use eight unit ID's and the Pixie4 will use four unit ID's so that is the equivalent of using 20 controllers. You will need to have at least an Advanced license but I would recommend the Pro so you have full access to the Pixel editor and enhanced networks.

Edited by Mr. P
  • Like 1

Take a look at this page:  http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-software/

This will give the comparison for the LOR software levels.  With the pixel controllers, the number of controllers is a little confusing because a single physical controller may very well have more than on controller ID.  It's the number of controller IDs that matter.  As Mr. P pointed out, your Pixel controllers will use 20 IDs so the advanced or Pro level license will be required.

You asked about CCR X amount.  Are you asking about SuperStar?  If so, I can explain that as I use SuperStar for essentially all my sequencing.

Hi Jim and thank you for getting on this so quick as well as Mr. P.!  I  have the Superstar add on with 2 CCRs and can control my pixie 4 controller as far as testing the lights.  When I started to test the lights with the software, it only gives me 8 segments in the pixel test, so I got curious as to an upgrade.  When I look at upgrading in Superstar, it states each CCR is 50 pixels which now has me confused because I would need more CCRs to control the amount of lights.  To me, Mr. P.s advice to go advance or Pro would be better monetary wise.  There does not seem to be enough info on the LOR website on each to make an informed decision.  

In the end, what I am trying to do is build 4 leaping arches with 2-WS2811 pixel strips equaling out 1 strip for 2 arches, each at 8.5 feet in length (strips are 16.5 feet) controlled by the Pixie 4.  There will be 4-WS2811 strips on the eaves and have 10 porch posts that will have 100 WS2811 pixel nodes on each. All of those lights would be controlled by 2-Pixie 8s.  Any assistance on the software clarification would be a bonus!

Thanks again for the help! 

John

When you consider Superstar you must think in channels. CCR's come 50 pixels to a strip or 150 channels. Each pixel uses three channels so 100 pixels in ws2811 would be 300 channels or the equivalent of two CCRs.

There are many programs to sequence pixels with, as mentioned you can use Pixel Editor if you get a Pro license. There is SuperStar but you need to purchase a seperate license depending on the number of CCRs /channels you will be needing. There is also Xlights which is free but you will need to convert to LOR.

I personally have all three of the programs mentioned and they are all good in their own way depending on what you want to accomplish and how fast you can learn the programs.

Hopefully Mr. P's explanation has it figured out for you.  For whatever it's worth, I sequence EVERYTHING in SuperStar.  Currently I have the 40 CCR license level for SuperStar which lets me export 6,000 channels.  My current 2017 layout uses 5,643 channels, but there will be more channels this year, so I am expecting that a SuperStar upgrade is in my plan this year.  I have never even looked at Xlights, and never have figured out how to use do anything useful with PE.

Thank you both for the help!  It appears I will have to digest the info before I make a decision.  I like the Super Star but have not tried the Advance or Pro for demo yet.  Guess I will have to try it to see what works.  Just wish the price was a little bit bearable on Super Star but as one person stated on this forum " this hobby is down right a very expensive one"!  

Thank you both for excellent advice!

John

2 hours ago, Obejohnknobe said:

Hi Jim and thank you for getting on this so quick as well as Mr. P.!  I  have the Superstar add on with 2 CCRs and can control my pixie 4 controller as far as testing the lights.  When I started to test the lights with the software, it only gives me 8 segments in the pixel test, so I got curious as to an upgrade.  When I look at upgrading in Superstar, it states each CCR is 50 pixels which now has me confused because I would need more CCRs to control the amount of lights.  To me, Mr. P.s advice to go advance or Pro would be better monetary wise.  There does not seem to be enough info on the LOR website on each to make an informed decision.  

In the end, what I am trying to do is build 4 leaping arches with 2-WS2811 pixel strips equaling out 1 strip for 2 arches, each at 8.5 feet in length (strips are 16.5 feet) controlled by the Pixie 4.  There will be 4-WS2811 strips on the eaves and have 10 porch posts that will have 100 WS2811 pixel nodes on each. All of those lights would be controlled by 2-Pixie 8s.  Any assistance on the software clarification would be a bonus!

Thanks again for the help! 

John

One little side note. The Pixie4, Pixie8 and Pixie16 as they originally shipped (v1.01) will NOT emulate the CCR's as the book says they will. The original software (v1.01) skipped the emulation to enable shipment of the units (time constraints). A new software (firmware) version is in development which will enable ALL the features that the Pixie controllers are designed for.

-Gary-

Thank you Gary!  I had read LOR was coming out with an update before I purchased the 2-Pixie 8 controllers and appreciate the reminder.  I did not know they would not emulate the CCRs, how much of a difference will this make on programming and actual playing the display?  If this is the case it seems to me the pixels would act like a regular RGB in both programming and display if they will not act like pixels.  What is your experience on these?

Thank you,

John

44 minutes ago, Obejohnknobe said:

Thank you Gary!  I had read LOR was coming out with an update before I purchased the 2-Pixie 8 controllers and appreciate the reminder.  I did not know they would not emulate the CCRs, how much of a difference will this make on programming and actual playing the display?  If this is the case it seems to me the pixels would act like a regular RGB in both programming and display if they will not act like pixels.  What is your experience on these?

Thank you,

John

Well, hopefully the new firmware will be available soon as will a way to update the bootloader on the Pixie's which is why they couldn't get them to accept updated firmware. Once the Pixies are updated, they can behave just like the CCR ribbons, using all the macro channels available (7 I think). Without the update, you'd program them just as you do normal pixels (3 channels, or 1 RGB channel) per pixel. Resolution would then be set on the Pixie configuration page.

Edited by Gary Levelius

FYI...  I believe it will only be the Pixie 4 that will be able to use the Macro channels when the new firmware is released.

• The topic was locked