Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums

Recommended Posts

I started this crazy hobby last year around middle of July 2016. I had a bright idea to hand make all of my yard decorations and try to have a light show. Luckily, it turned out way better than expected and it helped that I was the only house in the neighborhood that went all out. Home Depot gave me ruined wood for 80% off including my military discount, which allowed me to create the broken fence. I used monster mud to make the tall grim reaper, which turned out to be quite fun and gave me plenty of ideas for next year. I bought the Axworthy Ghost, but never got it to stay on the pulley system, disappointment. Had the projection from AtMos FX, which the kids loved. We live in military housing, so we got the reputation as the "Halloween House". I just want to say thank you to you all for being so patient and kind when us newbies invade your forums for dumb questions. 

 

The Whole House: https://goo.gl/photos/GuyXUNNekViTTMxN8

 

 

Edited by mooreryanj89
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dibblejr    375
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:53 PM, mooreryanj89 said:

I started this crazy hobby last year around middle of July 2016. I had a bright idea to hand make all of my yard decorations and try to have a light show. Luckily, it turned out way better than expected and it helped that I was the only house in the neighborhood that went all out. Home Depot gave me ruined wood for 80% off including my military discount, which allowed me to create the broken fence. I used monster mud to make the tall grim reaper, which turned out to be quite fun and gave me plenty of ideas for next year. I bought the Axworthy Ghost, but never got it to stay on the pulley system, disappointment. Had the projection from AtMos FX, which the kids loved. We live in military housing, so we got the reputation as the "Halloween House". I just want to say thank you to you all for being so patient and kind when us newbies invade your forums for dumb questions. 

 

The Whole House: https://goo.gl/photos/GuyXUNNekViTTMxN8

 

 

Heres how I did my ghost for 10 years. Its simple and cheap and gets the job done however you have to be physically present to make it work or you can just leave it floating. I only do this Halloween night so that people don't know its there

Needed

50 Lb or greater Fishing Line

Metal Coat Hanger

Styrofoam ball

Cheese cloth or similar

 

Put the Cheese cloth over the ball (you can make this any size you want) mine is a 12" ball and about 5' cheese cloth

Find 2 points to hang the fishing line (I suspend from a tree on one side of my driveway 15' to another tree 300' away at 40') Need a low and high point At my friends house we use the corner of his house and a tree in his yard about 30-40' away.

Straighten as much of the coathanger as possible. Bend it like a loop. On each end bend it inward depending on ball size. I bend mine about 4"

now on the low point hand the hanger and then attach to the ball (head)

Tie ablout 60' of monofilament to the ghost (I use the hanger) this will allow you to move the ghost from point a to b

If you have enough mono (mine about 500 more feet) you can put a eye bolt in the tree on the high point this will allow you to pull the ghost back up while you remain stationary

find a place to sit, when a trick or treater comes close enough you can release the tension on the ghost and it will drift downward toward or over the trick or treater

Then you just use that extra mono to pull it back up

Ive had my ghost for 10 years. Its just something fun I do.

As mentioned above you can just leave it suspended and the wind will move it around. I just tie off the extra mono so it wont drift all the way down. Looks cool to have something floating and you cant see the mono. I do this with my glow in the dark rubber bats as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ItsMeBobO    276

Welcome Haunter!   Great job on the yard and especially the MM reaper.   While I dont do this much anymore,  my first decorating love was halloween.  Like for Christmas now,  I went all out for Halloween back then.   Great idea to do the crypt on the garage doors.     Someday I will share some pictures.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Santas Helper    815
1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

Heres how I did my ghost for 10 years. Its simple and cheap and gets the job done however you have to be physically present to make it work or you can just leave it floating. I only do this Halloween night so that people don't know its there

Needed

50 Lb or greater Fishing Line

Metal Coat Hanger

Styrofoam ball

Cheese cloth or similar

 

Put the Cheese cloth over the ball (you can make this any size you want) mine is a 12" ball and about 5' cheese cloth

Find 2 points to hang the fishing line (I suspend from a tree on one side of my driveway 15' to another tree 300' away at 40') Need a low and high point At my friends house we use the corner of his house and a tree in his yard about 30-40' away.

Straighten as much of the coathanger as possible. Bend it like a loop. On each end bend it inward depending on ball size. I bend mine about 4"

now on the low point hand the hanger and then attach to the ball (head)

Tie ablout 60' of monofilament to the ghost (I use the hanger) this will allow you to move the ghost from point a to b

If you have enough mono (mine about 500 more feet) you can put a eye bolt in the tree on the high point this will allow you to pull the ghost back up while you remain stationary

find a place to sit, when a trick or treater comes close enough you can release the tension on the ghost and it will drift downward toward or over the trick or treater

Then you just use that extra mono to pull it back up

Ive had my ghost for 10 years. Its just something fun I do.

As mentioned above you can just leave it suspended and the wind will move it around. I just tie off the extra mono so it wont drift all the way down. Looks cool to have something floating and you cant see the mono. I do this with my glow in the dark rubber bats as well.

Sounds cool JR. I would like to see a video of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dibblejr    375
28 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

Sounds cool JR. I would like to see a video of it.

Somewhere I have a video of it. Thought it was on my brothers text but cant go back that far. He's usually interested in my show since I change it every year. Just cant remember where I had everything placed the previous years. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Septon    5

Love all this.  Great job mooreryanj89 and Also love the ItsMeBobO ghost idea... i got a long dark driveway.  Last year i had people who wouldn't come into my house... this year I plan on stepping it up.  I get that kids are missing out on candy.... but my thinking is, every kid I can scare away... the more I get to keep.  I plan on keeping a lot this year haha.

 

Moore, I like how you spray painted the Skeletons (or what ever..) I think I will do that to mine, I hated how white mine were.  Yours are awesome.

I plan on making a couple of these trees this year as well. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×